question about downloading Illustrator free trial

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:39 am
If any computer smartiepants people could help me with this, I'd 'preciate it. Very Happy

I'm in a graphic design class and we're learning Illustrator, and I have a terrible time trying to follow the demos in class-- the teacher is super impatient with questions. I do much better learning on my own at home, so I downloaded the free trial. Then there was a death in my family, so I missed the 30 days and didn't get to learn it at all, which sucks SO much, and my teacher says I need to move on from Photoshop into Illustrator for our next assignment....

So my question is, can I download the free trial again? I know it won't let me if I just uninstall the first one. Is there stuff I can clean out of my computer so it'll work again? I know it's cheating, but I just bought Photoshop, and I'll buy Illustrator if I ever get comfortable using it....so it's not totally ripping off Adobe, not really... Embarrassed Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,517 • Replies: 21
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 05:19 am
I have seen more than a few queries like this! A death in the family seems the most common excuse given, next comes illness of self or a family member, a child is a popular one. An upcoming assignment and a cruel teacher often figure as well. Forgive me if I seem cynical.

Unfortunately, advising how to crack software is against the rules of this forum, whether your whole family and all your friends dropped dead on day 1 of the evaluation period, or whether you just don't fancy paying for the software.

Why don't you ask some of the other members of the class what they did? Pick the nerdy guy, there usually is one. Or read a newspaper article about the evil of file sharing?

You can always blank your disk and reinstall Windows every 30 days... Or learn to use Google...

So if you go into Wal-Mart and steal a jar of peanut butter, and pay for a jar of grape jelly, you're not really ripping off Wal-Mart, because you paid for the jelly? Tell the judge that, see what he says!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:26 am
[size=8]I wonder if there's a Chick tract about going to hell for software abuse....[/size]In any case, it didn't occur to me that it would be against forum rules. Of course I wouldn't have asked if I'd thought of that.

However, as to the rest of your scolding-- my whole life got turned upside down just over a month ago, so back off. You are talking to me the way you are, I suspect, because I'm in school; so you've decided I'm undoubtedly some goof-off kid, just looking to get away with something. I happen to be married, a responsible adult, and going back to school after a long sojourn of hard work in the real world. Please don't talk down to me, and don't make assumptions about me based on one question.

I am awfully sorry you've heard so many cock-and-bull stories about deaths in the family from people trying to get an extra trial period of a software program-- I had no idea it was such an epidemic Rolling Eyes -- but as it happens, you've just belittled and put me down for letting things slip after having a suicide in my immediate family. Do you think that was appropriate?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
And now, of course, I come across as an ass because I sound like I'm trying to use my father-in-law's death to get pity points.

Yes, it is definitely time for a good long break from a2k. I always know it's time for an a2k break when it's f*cked up my day before I've even left the house....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
Hey, Cypher, don't let this jerk get you down. Please reconsider.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:59 am
If I jumped to conclusions, I'm sorry. If it helps, I lost my partner to suicide on Midsummer's Day, 1984, and that marks every summer for me. I guess I have become cynical because I post a lot on a certain hardware/software forum where questions phrased like yours are very common indeed. Everyone thinks (a) they were the first person who ever thought of it (b) it is bound to be believed instantly. A response like mine is the usual one on this other forum. It is usually Adobe software for some reason!

If you want to do the right thing, maybe your school has a student-discount arrangement with Adobe that would allow you to get a good price. There are ways and means to do what you want, but I would be banned from here if I posted details, and the post deleted, maybe before you would have a chance to read it.

If you want that jar of peanut butter, put your thinking cap on!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:42 pm
WOW!

so THATS what happened to Cyphercat.

good goin.. Confused

poorbabe.
I hope she is ok.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 04:22 pm
cyphercat,

I would be happy to show you how to extend the trial period indefinitely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 04:24 pm
Contrex told me later on some thread that she seemed to be an ok poster, or similar wording. I've observed he has a tendency to bite, but he's not alone in that, and in this case didn't know the background. A clue, if a long time poster says something about their troubles, one could check that person's posts before chastizing. I don't remember answering on the thread, I felt so bad for her.

Well, many of us do jump on people here, some doing it more than others, though many of us get to that at some point, and not everyone knows everybody. He didn't know the reality of the situation. I think all of us could be more careful, especially with (tangent-warning) newbies. But also in a situation like this.

Not what she needed, particularly stinging.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:41 pm
When I read contrex's post, I am like...huh? She asked a simple computer question, showing no signs of depression, and from this he makes all kinds of wild inferences and insults about her family problems. I do not attribute the accuracy of his guesses to anything more than dumb luck.

I do not think that cyphercat's question is unreasonable. The target profit audience for products such as Illustrator are primarily corporations and small businesses. The prices on these products are high only because they know their target audiences can easily afford them. I do not see any reason why regular people who are not using them for profit should be discouraged from learning how to use the product for personal entertainment or education. If you feel that its just the same as any other kind of stealing, save your breath on me...myself, and many others, simply do not agree with that logic.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:33 pm
Oh, blah...I'd thought this dratted thread would have disappeared into the depths of a2k by now! When I signed in and saw it had been posted in recently I had to steel myself to peek in here and see if how badly I came off, heeheehee...

I really just needed to take a good long break, because this shouldn't have stressed me out so much, but for a while there every little thing was getting under my skin.

Contrex, no hard feelings on my end; none on yours, I hope. I just would have appreciated it if you'd shot me a pm to tell me it was against forum rules rather than giving me a scolding for anyone to read. I was obviously being a bit oversensitive, but I expect you can imagine it's been a rough patch lately. (and it really hadn't occurred to me that asking for a way to get the trial again would amount to the same as getting the program for free- it's obvious to me now that it would come off as looking for a free ride, but I really was just wanting to have a trial period, not get the program free.)

Anyhow, Shewolf, Stuh, and Osso, thank you guys for making me feel like I didn't make too big an ass of myself. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:34 pm
Hiya!!

Good to see your fuzzy face.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:55 pm
Aw, thank you Soz! It's good to see your, um, no-nonsense look and buff arm! Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:52 am
( scratching kitty)

hey lady. Smile

I hope you are feeling better.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:31 pm
Hey Cypher, good to see you back.. hope everything is goin' (relatively) OK for you..

Y'r my favourite A2K cat.. :wink:
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:48 pm
Aww, gee nimh, thanks! I-- HEY, waitaminnit....you're just here because you heard Shewolf was petting people, aren't you?! Oh, I'm so on to you... :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:57 pm
No no no - I came here to pet you! Honestly! If you'll let me, of course..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:58 pm
(I'll get to Shewolf later...) Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:02 pm
Miz Wolf, I forgot to say thank you for the scratching! Smile Thanks for the welcome back!

And nimh, you know I'd never turn down a petting from you...Even if I have to share with shewolf! I'm sure Shewolf and I can play nicely together anyway... Cool
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:10 pm
welcome back, pookie!

Quote:
I'm sure Shewolf and I can play nicely together anyway... Cool

if not, cat fights are pretty cool too...
0 Replies