Word 2007?

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 09:53 am
Is it possible to buy Word 2007 separately? I use Works Spreadsheet: I don't need the more sophisticated features of Excel, etc.

The Microsoft product sites are so full of information that I can't spot what I need...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 657 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:32 am
standalone
MS Word is also sold as a standalone product or included in Microsoft Works Suite. Beginning with the 2003 version, the branding was revised to emphasize Word's identity as a component within the Office suite: Microsoft began calling it Microsoft Office Word instead of merely Microsoft Word. Nomenclature usage in the wild is currently in flux, with both names being commonly used. The latest release is Word 2007.

I'm confused..Are you saying that you have MS Works..or not? If you do, you already have MS Word.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:45 am
Word 2007?
I happen to have both. I like the Works spreadsheet; I don't need to fork over a hunk of money for Excel. I like Word as a word processing program, and have had it for years, but think it could do with a bit of updating.

Works came with the computer, and Word I simply installed from an old CD. However, Help for Word 2000 is being phased out, so for these and other various reasons, sooner or later I'll want the latest Word.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
Word 2007?
BTW - do you mean that the Works word processing program is identical with Word now?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
What that says is MS Marketing is playing a name game... obscuring the product's identity. However, what you asked is whether or not you can buy MS Word as a standalone product. the answer is YES
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:26 am
Word 2007?
Quote:
What that says is MS Marketing is playing a name game... obscuring the product's identity.

Well, that was one question. Your answer there raised the second in my mind. So - are they identical, despite MS' word games?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:13 pm
MS Word works on a text file the same way no matter what it is called by MS. You would be fine if you bought MS Word as a standalone proggie.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:15 pm
Word 2007?
So if I have, as I do have, both the complete Works suite, and Word 2000 standalone, is Word redundant?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:24 pm
Works and Word are seperate programs with different functions. I understand you to be saying you are fine with Works as is in its older format, but would like to upgrade Word.

Is that correct?

Yes, you can upgrade Word. I just did, but did so with the whole Office package.

Amazon has the Word Upgrade to 2007 for about $95.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
Think of Works as wrapper for a bunch of MS programs such as Excel (spreadsheet), Outlook, Word...etc. MS Works wraps up these programs under one convenient umbrella. That being said, I repeat that MS Word performs the same on a text file no matter which form it is wrapped in.
0 Replies

newsn01

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:06 am
i dont think word 2007 is wonderful,which i cant find the normal buttons
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:16 am
Sorry, I don't understand...but what are 'normal buttons'?

As former technical writer I've used MS Word over the years and have found MS Word very useful as have my colleagues.

Here's a suggestion: if the current version of MS Word isn't suited to you for some reason, you can always rollback to an earlier version.
0 Replies