HELP! IT WONT WRITE!

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:42 pm
I have been working for months on this huge book. Starting as a simple short story, it has become a massive slab of papers. I'm on page 96 an have been stuck there for days. How can I look for new ideas to continue this book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,142 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:57 pm
Ask each of your characters where they want to be in two chapters.

Joe(no kidding. Ask them)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:13 pm
go on a holiday, forget about the book, get some new experiences.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:01 am
Quote:
go on a holiday, forget about the book, get some new experiences.

that's a very good idea...
or you can look around you, open your inner eye...look at other people's lives or experiences, ask for opinions...
read more and more...
reread whatever you've written(things usually flow like that)
but make sure you don't try to butt an entirely different or irrelevant idea in there...

BTW, hello and welcome!

-LNS
Good luck Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 04:16 am
Re: HELP! IT WONT WRITE!
aRtIsTgUrL wrote:
I have been working for months on this huge book. Starting as a simple short story, it has become a massive slab of papers. I'm on page 96 an have been stuck there for days. How can I look for new ideas to continue this book?

Hi and welcome.

It seems to me that you started writing without a clear plan. Maybe you need to map out where you want this to go. Create a timeline or something similar that will keep the plot moving.

I think the other suggestions might also work out just fine. If your characters are real and well developed, they might lead you along.
0 Replies

aRtIsTgUrL

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 09:08 am
Thanks guys! Smile
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 01:25 pm
A character flashback is always good to help develop more depth. Just make sure the flashback isn't just some random event -- it should have some connection you want the reader to know about. Maybe answer a few questions we have about the character.

T
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:18 pm
Don't get too discouraged, I go long periods of time on stories without making much progress, then go back and write a chapter or two. Something that has worked for me is to be working on two stories at once, when you get stuck on one, add to the other and vice versa.
0 Replies

fjf1329

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:57 pm
To me, writing is telling a story, first and foremost. Once you have given your characters life they almost have a will of there own.

A character you cast as brave and strong cannot change in the next chapter and become a coward. Therefore, I like to allow the characters to take the path they "want". IMO asking the characters is the way to go, and taking time to understand where they can go within the parameters of your story will dictate what happens.

Sometime they have to die, there is no other way.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:27 pm
Re: HELP! IT WONT WRITE!
aRtIsTgUrL wrote:

I have loads of work I've actually dumped to one side for a year or longer

If I come to a point where the story isn't grabbing me anymore - I go and write something else. I have three different things I'm working on right now - as the other fella said - sometimes it helps it move from one thing to another.

Sometimes I just write script for a while, without description or anything else- just to get my characters talking to each other and yes, they really do take up the story themselves, if you believe in them enough.

I don't continue with something if it's not flowing.
I know that if I'm losing interest - a reader is going to sense that.

I'd say - don't slog on with it. There's no point. Put it to one side and let your sub-conscious think about it - and pick it up again when you've got the buzz on for it.

Meanwhile - write something else - take the pressure off.... and build up skills that will help you take on 'the big one' - a challenge to any writer.

Good Luck

E
0 Replies

Herema

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:57 pm
Quote:

Go Treasure Hunting!

Massive? I know the feeling! A short story is now nearing 1,000 pages of a three book series.

When it seemed I hit a wall (never such a thing as writer's block), I went digging up treasures. Discover your characters and places as if you are uncovering "evidence" about them. When I feel I am creating, I am doing horrible work. But when I go treasure hunting, whole new worlds open up for my writing AND my characters.

And.....advice from a reader.....write as if you will never get it published!!! Write it because you enjoy it. Build your worlds, kingdoms, plots etc as if you are building a civilization just for YOU. (I have gotten more help in editing and writing from "readers" than other authors. So why not ask a reader?)

best to ya
0 Replies