contradictions in the New Testament

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
The genealogy in Matthew is traced through the legal father, Joseph. The genealogy in Luke is traced through the mother, Mary, but says Joseph at the end in keeping with the listing of men. Also, it is good to mention that son in the Bible also can mean grandson, or a more distant decsendant. The same is true for "begat", so the genealogies are not generation to generation one at a time. Different parents, different lineage, no contradiction.

The genealogies don't mention descent in a distaff line, so that is only your exegesis (or rather, that of someone far more clever than you--i don't for a moment believe that notion is original with you, the more so as i've heard it for more than 30 years) designed to support a claim that there is no discrepancy or contradiction between the two genealogies. There are not the same number of generations mentioned in these two. The genealogy according to Matthew claims 42 generations between Adam and your boy Jesus (despite your bullshit about whether or not consecutive generations are entailed)--that is, even at a generous estimate, only slightly more than 1,000 years from Adam to Jesus. Make it two thousand years, and you still are more than 2000 years short of the 6000 years since creation according Bishop Ussher's exegesis.

This is a clear case of contradiction--and making up stories for which you have no scriptural basis does not alter this fact. It is hilarious, though, to see a bible-thumper who advances bullshit stories like this one make disparaging reference to the intelligence of anyone else. You need to stop staring in mirrors as you type your responses and attack people with whom you disagree with personal reflections, just because you disagree.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:06 pm
Run 4 Fun has claimed that the genealogies in Matthew and Luke to not refer to consecutive generations. (His exact wording, which is rather tortured, was, in Post # , " . . . so the genealogies are not generation to generation one at a time.") Therefore, Run 4 Fun directly contradicts Matthew, Chapter One, Verse 17, which reads:

So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

(King James Version, Source at Bible Gateway-dot-com)

That verse clearly states the number of generations from the putative Adam to your boy Jesus.

The point of this, and all other discussion of contradictions, is that those who rely upon scripture must of necessity "interpret" scripture, and must deny what is patently written in order to claim that any passage of scripture means what it patently does not say. It is this personal, particularist reliance upon a special exegesis rather than literal text which makes scriptural bases for claims about truth completely unreliable.
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
Quote:
The genealogies don't mention descent in a distaff line, so that is only your exegesis (or rather, that of someone far more clever than you--i don't for a moment believe that notion is original with you, the more so as i've heard it for more than 30 years) designed to support a claim that there is no discrepancy or contradiction between the two genealogies. There are not the same number of generations mentioned in these two. The genealogy according to Matthew claims 42 generations between Adam and your boy Jesus (despite your bullshit about whether or not consecutive generations are entailed)--that is, even at a generous estimate, only slightly more than 1,000 years from Adam to Jesus. Make it two thousand years, and you still are more than 2000 years short of the 6000 years since creation according Bishop Ussher's exegesis.

This is a clear case of contradiction--and making up stories for which you have no scriptural basis does not alter this fact. It is hilarious, though, to see a bible-thumper who advances bullshit stories like this one make disparaging reference to the intelligence of anyone else. You need to stop staring in mirrors as you type your responses and attack people with whom you disagree with personal reflections, just because you disagree.

If myself admit to not having really checked these things out, and that I have not put these contradictions up for the sake of agruement, but to find out whether they are true. I'm glad that you have pointed out my mistake. If this list that I have posted is really as rediculous as you've said, why do you continue to waste your time arueing it with me, when that is not my intention? Are you simply itching to find someone to argue with? Becuase you won't find that here, I'm simply glad the error has been pointed out, so that I would not go thinking these things true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:14 pm
I neglected to list the Post # in which Run 4 Fun made his claim for "non-consecutive" generations--it was Post #2580894.

skeptical wrote:
If myself admit to not having really checked these things out, and that I have not put these contradictions up for the sake of agruement, but to find out whether they are true. I'm glad that you have pointed out my mistake. If this list that I have posted is really as rediculous as you've said, why do you continue to waste your time arueing it with me, when that is not my intention? Are you simply itching to find someone to argue with? Becuase you won't find that here, I'm simply glad the error has been pointed out, so that I would not go thinking these things true.

I can only assume that your reading comprehension is not as good as it might be. You have quoted remarks that i made to Run 4 Fun who claimed that there is no contradiction between the genealogies given in Matthew Chapter One, and Luke Chapter Three. I was not addressing you, or responding to what you have written. In fact, i've not attempted to point out any "mistake" to you, but have pointed out that if you are going to post something like this, it is likely that you will be called upon to defend what has appeared to be a position you are taking. I have not argued with you, and in fact, i was supporting a contention that in the matter of the genealogies, there is a patent contradiction. So, no, i'm not "itching" to find someone to argue with (when it comes to scriptural bullshit, there is never a lack of people with whom to argue)--nor have i argued with you about anything.

Pay a little more careful attention, and read a little more carefully, and perhaps you can decide which of these represent contradictions, and which don't. Of course, you might have taken the time to look up the citations for yourself, and to decide for yourself whether nor not these entail contradictions.
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
Quote:
I can only assume that your reading comprehension is not as good as it might be. You have quoted remarks that i made to Run 4 Fun who claimed that there is no contradiction between the genealogies given in Matthew Chapter One, and Luke Chapter Three. I was not addressing you, or responding to what you have written. In fact, i've not attempted to point out any "mistake" to you, but have pointed out that if you are going to post something like this, it is likely that you will be called upon to defend what has appeared to be a position you are taking. I have not argued with you, and in fact, i was supporting a contention that in the matter of the genealogies, there is a patent contradiction. So, no, i'm not "itching" to find someone to argue with (when it comes to scriptural bullshit, there is never a lack of people with whom to argue)--nor have i argued with you about anything.

Pay a little more careful attention, and read a little more carefully, and perhaps you can decide which of these represent contradictions, and which don't. Of course, you might have taken the time to look up the citations for yourself, and to decide for yourself whether nor not these entail contradictions.

Damn...I'm really sorry about that Setanta. Wow, I feel stupid.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 01:48 pm
http://www.lifeofchrist.com/life/genealogy/objections.asp

http://www.carm.org/questions/2geneologies.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-genealogy.html
0 Replies

123rock

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:20 pm
skeptical wrote:
Quote:
Setanta, I didn't think that I would have to take a lot of time explaining these for you people who already have your own working brains! I made no appeal to authority, just to your own intelligence. The genealogy in Matthew is traced through the legal father, Joseph. The genealogy in Luke is traced through the mother, Mary, but says Joseph at the end in keeping with the listing of men. Also, it is good to mention that son in the Bible also can mean grandson, or a more distant decsendant. The same is true for "begat", so the genealogies are not generation to generation one at a time. Different parents, different lineage, no contradiction.

The Jewish follower that gave these to me, also pointed out that Jews did not trace heritage by women, only men. I'm sorry if these are all wrong, like I said, I put them up to see what others would think of them, and the response seems rather obvious to me. I don't have the time to check them all out for myself, so thanks for pointing out any of these contradictions that you see as absolutely wrong.

This is true and also the reason why Joseph is mentioned in both genealogies as opposed to Mary in Luke and Joseph in Matthew. The father's trade was also passed down to the son, and the mother taught the daughter to do "woman work." This would account for the two different genealogies. Matthew, who deals with Joseph, gives Joseph's, and Luke who describes the Annunciation, Mary's, so that Jesus could be shown to be Abraham and David's descendant both legally and genetically. It is interesting to note that if Joseph is Jesus' physical father (i.e. God artificially inseminated Mary), then Jesus had a cursed lineage due to Jeconiah. If Jesus has no biological relationship with Joseph, then it's entertaining to wonder how He is a man.

Linguistic proof for Luke being Mary's genealogy is the terminology of Luke before each name using the article tou for all except Joseph. A Greek audience would immediately realize that the equivalent to son of Joseph in Luke would be "Jesus being (as was supposed the son of Joseph) the son of Heli" with the understanding that Jesus was the grandson of Heli through Mary.

In addition to this, genealogies were kept in the Temple which was destroyed in 70 AD, so a pre-70 AD author would not have had the pleasure of fabrication, yet on the contrary a later one wouldn't have had evidence against him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
skeptical wrote:
Quote:

Damn...I'm really sorry about that Setanta. Wow, I feel stupid.

No problem, Boss, and for the record, i say and do stupid things myself, so please don't take personal offense.

Why, just the other day, i said i was sorry for being wrong, but when i thought about it, i realized that i had not been wrong. We all make mistakes. (For the irony challenged, that was humor.)
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 06:03 pm
I love that joke! Laughing Smile
0 Replies

skeptical

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 05:29 pm
Quote:
No problem, Boss, and for the record, i say and do stupid things myself, so please don't take personal offense.

Why, just the other day, i said i was sorry for being wrong, but when i thought about it, i realized that i had not been wrong. We all make mistakes. (For the irony challenged, that was humor.)

Laughing Funny Setanta.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:53 pm
skeptical wrote:

The Jewish follower that gave these to me, also pointed out that Jews did not trace heritage by women, only men.

Luke, who gives the lineage thru Mary, was not a Jew. His gospel was written to a primarily Gentile audience as well.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 12:23 am
skeptical wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Funny Setanta.

Some of these Christians have a sense of humour that can be carbon dated to the pre-irony age.

You seem to have stirred them up a bit, not too many "welcomes" from them.

Welcome to A2K skeptical Very Happy
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:38 am
Welcome to A2K Skeptical Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for that Eorl.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:04 am
real life wrote:
skeptical wrote:

The Jewish follower that gave these to me, also pointed out that Jews did not trace heritage by women, only men.

Luke, who gives the lineage thru Mary, was not a Jew. His gospel was written to a primarily Gentile audience as well.

This was mildly hilarious.

In the first place, no one knows who Luke was, so your claim that he was not a Jew appears to be based upon nothing more than a desire to sound authoritative. Even the long-accepted belief that he was a companion of Paul is not universally agreed upon by scholars, many of whom point out that there is textual evidence that he knew Flavius Josephus, which means that he was living 30 years or more after the death of Paul, and 60 years or more after the time when the crucifixion of the putative Jesus was alleged to have taken place, which makes it highly unlikely that he was a companion of Paul. In that case, he may or may not have been a Jew, and he may or may not have been a gentile. You're whistling past the graveyard with the your seemingly authoritative claim that Luke was not a Jew. Even if he were a Greek--which the is the implication if he were a companion of Paul, and the the most likely case if he were a gentile and a Christian in the first century--it would be highly improbable that he would give a matrilineal descent based upon being a Greek, and in fact, almost any other category of gentile then common in southwest Asia.

"Gentiles" means absolutely everyone who is not a Jew--are you suggesting that Jews have one way of looking at genealogies, and absolutely everyone else has a different way of looking at genealogies than the Jews, but which is otherwise identical among gentiles? Given that absolutely no reference is made to a matrilineal descent, and given that there are some coincidental similarities with the other genealogy, are you suggesting that Luke's genealogy is sometimes patrilineal and sometimes matrilineal--and that you or anyone else can tell when that is true? Do you suggest that all gentiles would know when the references were to male-descent and when they were references to female descent, simply because they are gentiles? Do you suggest that there is sometime textually internal logic which should make it obvious that some one part or another of Luke's genealogy is matrilineal?

You know, the kind of "logic" you attempt to peddle may work well with the bible-thumper crowd, but you really should know better than to think that educated people who are not wedded to your preferred imaginary friend superstition are going to swallow absurdities like that.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:44 am
The Bible contradicts itself simply because its a badly written, edited and translated work of fiction written (Updated) in the 4th centrury by far to many authors who hadn't a clue about each other or the mythical person they had never met.

Is there not 2 references to the number of the beast? (Earliest papyrus saying the number was 616), but then thats put down to transcribing errors, which of course never happened cause no transcribing errors ever happened, did they ? how can someone incorrectly copy the bible when God himself is doing the editing through them ? of course i know it was satan himself putting false thoughts into their brain, blah blah blah.

Christianity is for those who like to be led or those who want power over others, the little black book just helps them do that.

"Look I can kill my heathen neighbours cause the old testament says so, but you can't touch me cause the new testament tells you to turn your cheak"
0 Replies