tummy fat,

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 06:57 am
Hey,
I have a tiny bit of tummy fat, just a little bit.
But I don't want it there, and am confused about the best way to get rid of it.
I eat healthily, and do a bit of exercise when I can.
When I googled it there is all this confusing stuff like 'stomach crunches don't work' and 'when you do stomach exercises your stomach muscles actually get bigger' etc.

what is the best exercise to do?
Is there a good video I could get?
Please help me if you know.

thanks pq xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,040 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:01 am
This is one of the hardest areas to lose weight in for women because it's the last place to go. Some people just can't lose the weight there. When people say crunches don't work, they mean spot weight loss doesn't work. Your abs under the layer of fat will be tight and toned but you can't see it beause of the layer of fat over them. So without losing that weight, crunches are sort of useless for tightening up your stomach.

The best thing to do is just lose weight overall. That belly fat is stubborn and it might take some serious workin' to lose. Or you may never fully get rid of it. Cardio and strength training to shape up your entire body is what you need to do.

Slappy is pretty versed in this whole "health/fitness" thing so he might be more helpful on a routine for you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:17 am
I fluctuate between 145 and 150, I do a minimum of 100 sit ups a day, ride a bike at least 100 miles a week, lift weights three days a week and I'm a vegetarian and a health conscious eater.

Guess what? I have a little pot belly and it drives me crazy.

Some of it is just genetics. Body type.

Basically though, once a little fat gets on there, you can work yourself to death and it holds on. There is also the possibility that if you don't target that area specifically it's not just fat but a combination of fat and a loss of muscle tone. I got potty in 2005 when I was hospitalized and spent basically a year doing nothing. My entire belly and oblique area was like petroleum jelly in motion and I weighed 115 lbs, so it's not a weight issue.

The best weapon in that fight is PATIENCE. It takes a long time, a lot of work, and a shitload of discipline. When I look at myself and feel like I'm never going to get back into the shape I want to be I remind myself that everything I do makes me healthy and just forge ahead. I have seen big results but there is no overnight fix. Don't listen to or get suckered in to any of those schemes you're always hearing about.

If it was still 1975 I'd recommend the Bi-Polar Bear MDA/Cocaine diet but a lot of field research led me to believe it really wasn't a good idea long term :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:12 am
I agree with Bella & Bear - it's genetics and you might have to learn to live with it. The only woman I know who successfully got rid of it used lyposuction and a tummy tuck. She said it was terribly painful, but she's happy because at 45 she still looks great in a bikini.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Exercise more.

There is no trick. No tricks. Eat very well. Exercise consistently: enough cardio, enough strength training (CORE training is good to build a base off of), enough stretching, all that good stuff.

And then accept that as a woman - we are supposed to have a cute little bit of fat there.

Face it, it is cute!

Washboard abs for women takes extreme dedication, a certain amount of lottery winning genetically, and watching your diet like a hawk.

It's my belief that it is not sustainable over the long term. We get periods. We have babies. We grow older and our fat wants to go there.

Taking care of yourself very broadly and your beautiful body is the way to go, and for me, embracing that cuteness - rather than trying for my teenage-flat-belly all my years (madness!) , makes sense.

I bet you look stunning and barely even realize it. A little bit of fat there is ok.

To answer your question specificially - there is nothing you can do to melt the belly fat except to drop your body fat overall while building your muscles at the same time.
That will show off what you have. We all have a lil different distribution of fat.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:17 am
I don't like the washborad look on my gals. A tiny bit of "cushion for the pushin" is always nice.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
Right after this was posted the banner ads updated with one of those "Cor-shrink" super diet pill targeted ads.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 02:04 pm
What everyone else said.

Crunches do "work," they work for building your ab muscles. That doesn't mean they're going to make your fat disappear in that area. Once you get lean enough in the stomach area, they'll make a huge difference in the way your stomach looks, but until you're lean enough to actually see some of those muscles, they won't do too much.

Like Bella said, the only way to get rid of it, is to lose fat overall. Consistent diet & excercise.

I really need to start doing crunches. I'm already lean enough, but I'm too lazy to actually do them....but if I did, in a couple months I'd be too sexy for my shirt. Too sexy for my hat, what do you think about that.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:37 pm
You must have some incredible ugly shirts and hats.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:47 pm
Laughing heeheeehee, Nick....

Bella Dea wrote:
This is one of the hardest areas to lose weight in for women because it's the last place to go.

Not true for everyone. Depends on your body type, and some studies have found that belly fat goes fairly easily (osso just posted a link to one such study a little while ago). Lemme tell ya, as a pear-shaped girl, I have a very flat tummy and it's the first place I lose fat from-- but the booty is a different story...*sigh*
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:55 pm
Wow, what a response! Thanks guys.
Ok, I guess I'm gonna have to follow your advice.
I was gonna say 'Oh no, I'm going to have to eat healthily for the rest of my life!'
But thats probably a good thing anyway...... Sad

What do I hate more? Eating healthily or stomach exercises?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:51 pm
That reminds me of a Russian man I met at the gym one day. He was doing nautilus and weight training. He said "I don't like weights and Nautilus. I like cross country skiing and mountain climbing

"Oh, so you do those things", I replied.

"No", he said, "I don't do those things. I LIKE those things. I do weights and nautilus".
0 Replies