I love to <huff puff> ride my <pant, pant> bicycle

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:26 am
I just traded in my fancy but run down 21 speed bike in for a 7 speed crusier bike.

What a workout!

Maybe in a few years I can work my way into a kid's single speed bike like Mo out races me on.

For me, excercise just has to be worked in during a regular day and this bike is a great challenge.

How do you make your usual routine more challenging?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,715 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
I love riding... I ride every day I can at least 20 miles. I am currently adding climbs of different levels to my routine. It is burning fat and you can see my oblique muscles again. I love it. Slap on the headphones, crank up the Priest.... and it's all good.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
Re: I love to <huff puff> ride my <pant, pant>
boomerang wrote:
How do you make your usual routine more challenging?

I load a pack of shingles on each shoulder and try to get them both up the ladder and onto the roof without without dropping them and without using my hands. The Cinderblock-toss is always fun too. Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:33 am
I keep the remote on the chair next to me so that I have to lean over to change channels.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:36 am
dyslexia wrote:
I keep the remote on the chair next to me so that I have to lean over to change channels.

another fabulous routine for the obliques. try gripping the remote with yout toes occasionally and bringing it up to you lap with your feet... strengthens the calves...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:39 am
Hee hee. That cracks me up!

Actually farmerman that is the kind of excercise I like best - the get something done excercise.

Spring break starts after school tomorrow. Mo and I have been redigging our 30x6 garden bed to break up the clay and work in last winter's mulch. Today I had 3 yards of top quality garden dirt delivered. It is ready to be wheelbarrowed from the front yard to the back yard.

Shovels stand at the ready. I await my six year old assistant!

It is nice, isn't it, when the muscles start showing up? 20 miles a day? I'm impressed bi-polar!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:07 pm
I do intervals on some of my jogs.

The other day I started with a ten minute warm-up jog at an easy pace.
Then I ran six sets of one minute hard, three minutes easy.
I finished off with a ten minute cool-down jog.

I'm still taking the existence of my oblique muscles on faith.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
There you go, Boomerang. Now, move up to a fixed gear, single speed. Does wonders for the legs, I'm told.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:10 pm
Do you have any idea of how hard it is to find an adult single speed bike that isn't a "fixie" (meaning breakless)? I found one and I considered it but I think I need a bit of progression down from 21 speeds first.

Breaking up a run is about the only way I could imagine making it tolerable for me -- and this comes from a girl who loves walking around. I think I like walking because I can take my old dog and stop to yak with people.

"Free running" is gaining in popularity here. That looks like fun but I am way, way, way too clumsy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
but a fixie's got brakes. They're also called legs.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:08 pm
Exercise for the sake of exercise is essentially boring.

This is why membership in the Leisure Class is so attractive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 04:13 pm
I've always enjoyed exercise when I stop... (half but not entirely kidding).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:19 pm
You load 15 tons and waddya get?
Another day older and
deeper into your Motrin habit.

Three yards of dirt did not seem like that much dirt. My muscles say otherwise.

The bike works a different set of biking muscles than a usual bike. Still, this thing is a blast. I even bought a basket for hauling things around. Now all i need is a bumper sticker that says "I'll get you and your little dog too."

Roger, the only wheeled, brakeless thing I will even consider operating is a wheelbarrow and even that would be better with brakes! Seriously, those fixies look dangerous.

Noddy, does it mean that I am firmly entrenched in the leisure class if I look for ways to make my life harder?

Osso, I'm thinking I agree with you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:22 pm
Gardening can be a major workout.

Spent a few hours doing stuff yesterday, didn't seem like much at the time but this morning I was owie.

(Your dirt sounds lovely!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:18 pm
I wouldn't ride a fixie, either. Still, they say it's fun to watch a thief try to ride off on one. I can see the virtues of what Townie calls the Amsterdam Bike. I'd need more gears, with all the hills around here, but otherwise, a nice design.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:35 pm
Ok, this year I will ride my bicycle.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:41 pm
Well blessa'my soul, I've never heard of the Amsterdam bike but my Googleing led me to a distributer here in my very own city!

That is going to be my goal!

That bike is beautiful.

So.... from a 21 speed to a 7 speed to a.... 3 speed?

But it has coaster brakes - so is it a fixed gear?

Whatever.... it's gorgeous!

Here's my current ride (I've added a basket though ('cause I'm cool). Now Mo is crazy for a basket for his bike and I've having a hard time finding one for a 16" bike).

EDIT: Sorry, that photo was HUGE! I'll take a photo of my own bike instead....

And yes, soz. The dirt is beyond lovely. Bachelor #1 is a landscaper and he turned me on to the dirt place where the pros buy their stuff. It is dirty dirt and it smells like heaven.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:04 pm
Not a fixed gear. When it comes to gears, why is less better? I've got 27 and have used them all.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:19 pm
I don't necessarily think less is better. I loved my 21 speed and used it a lot.

These days I ride with a six year old. I felt to reliant on the gears to give me an easy ride and I wasn't really getting any excercise anymore. I just wanted something that required a little more effort from me.

Mo's next bike will be a geared bike and I might very well change my mind about what I need.

I would just like to get back to the fitness level where I didn't require so much help. That's all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:48 pm
I take all the help I can get.
0 Replies