Why religions start?

vikorr

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:47 am
I often wondered if religion is simply a way people invented to explain (and connect with) our spiritual side...

I mean, to me, there has to be something that is 'spirit'...all you need to do is take a close look at mob mentality, six sense, twins who know what the other is feeling, close couples who know when the others died, team spirit, the will to live even as the body is dying...etc etc etc. To me, science can't properly explain this stuff...and I wonder if many religions started as an attempt to explain this (aside from all the many things that were unexplanable to them before science really took off)

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 913 • Replies: 16
No top replies

xingu

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:33 am
Why is there religion? I don't think that can be answered at this point in time. A lot of new ideas are coming out but it will be many years before we see if they're worth much.

Here's some thoughts I have.

Near Death Experience may be one of the things that spark religion. It matters little if you believe in NDE, the fact is it happens. Those who experience NDE believe it to be real. NDE tells us there is a body and soul. It tells us there is a Divine-like being, called The Light, that is of pure love.

How humans interpret NDE may become the basis for some religions.

Another thing to consider. Religion is like a street gang. It is an organization with its own set of rules, images and signs. It separates us from them. Man is a competitive animal so belonging to teams or groups is important. It gives us security. Religion is a glue that holds people together, helps make them work together for a common goal.

Looking forward to some other thoughts on this subject.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:29 pm
xingu wrote:
. . . Here's some thoughts I have.

Near Death Experience may be one of the things that spark religion. It matters little if you believe in NDE, the fact is it happens. Those who experience NDE believe it to be real. NDE tells us there is a body and soul. It tells us there is a Divine-like being, called The Light, that is of pure love. . .
Have you any thoughts on why we exist first on earth? Can your 'Light of pure love' explain why we have war and crime and sickness and death?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:23 am
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
. . . Here's some thoughts I have.

Near Death Experience may be one of the things that spark religion. It matters little if you believe in NDE, the fact is it happens. Those who experience NDE believe it to be real. NDE tells us there is a body and soul. It tells us there is a Divine-like being, called The Light, that is of pure love. . .
Have you any thoughts on why we exist first on earth? Can your 'Light of pure love' explain why we have war and crime and sickness and death?

Probably for the same reason chimps, our closest relative, murder and wage war. Perhaps it's a genetic trait we acquired from our ancestors. But one can do a lot of speculation on that subject.

If you want to know from the perspective of NDE you will have to read up on the subject and find out for yourself. It's much nicer when you can discover things on your own.

I may also suggest that we may not be the only "intelligent species" in this universe. Given the number of galaxies and suns it stands to reason there may be millions of planets like Earth that can support life.

However there may be something to the idea that we are an image of God. It's my understanding, and I don't know enough about the subject to speak with any authority, that The Light is the sum total of all souls in the universe. If that is the case than we are, in a sense, all sons and daughters of God.

Since there is a lot about this subject I don't know about, that is the reason I suggest you look for yourself.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:31 am
Hi Xingu

I'd never thought about near death experiences. I can see how such things could influence people to start preaching about what they believe they saw.

I also understood the group identity nature of religions, but as the 'group identity' is based on a set of beliefs, it is the factors surrounding the founding of those beliefs that I was curious about.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:12 am
vikorr wrote:
Hi Xingu

I'd never thought about near death experiences. I can see how such things could influence people to start preaching about what they believe they saw.

I also understood the group identity nature of religions, but as the 'group identity' is based on a set of beliefs, it is the factors surrounding the founding of those beliefs that I was curious about.

Well for reason I don't understand they would be unique to each group. Think of the different religions and beliefs among the American Indians. They all had their creation stories but they were different.

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.html

Look at street gangs. Each has its own signs, rules and symbols. How were they created? Maybe a few bottles Jack and some ideas they picked up from movies and TV.

The Christian religion took hundreds of years to form into what it is today. Christianity didn't start the day after Christ died. Nobody knew what to make of Christ. They took this dead Jew and made him into all kinds of things before settling on the current version. He was all human, part human and all God as well as everything in between.

Religions can evolve in that they borrow and modify from other religions. With Christianity it was the blending of Judaism and Paganism. This makes sense in that if your going to convert pagans to a new belief you have to give them something similar to what they currently believe in, something they can identify with, something they are comfortable with.

That still goes on today.

Quote:
ENUGU, Nigeria - Ejike Mbaka is telling a story. The 20,000 Nigerians gathered around him in the red-dust lot have gone quiet.

"Last week, there was a man who was mad, insane," he begins, standing on a rickety stage. "For years, the doctors attempted to heal him. But the infirmity continued. He came to me for help.

"I gave him some healing water" - and here, some in the audience hold up the small plastic packages of water he sells, 45 cents each - "and told him to pour it in his ear on Sunday. Then pour it in his other ear on Monday.

"He did exactly that. And on Tuesday, a large frog crawled out of his ear. And he was cured."

Appreciative cheers from the audience. "Such are the things God can do," he says.

It's about 10 p.m. When the sun comes up in the morning, the crowd will still be here - except for those injured thrashing on the ground under the Holy Spirit's spell.

What's remarkable about the scene isn't what Ejike Mbaka says. It's who he is. He's not a witch doctor. He's not a Pentecostal preacher. He's an ordained Catholic priest.

http://www.clipfile.org/2005/05/22/780/

Quote:
Since European contact, indigenous peoples have often combined their religions with nonindigenous religions. Indigenous religions coexist, and sometimes blend, with Catholicism. Most, if not all, indigenous people have at least some knowledge of Christianity, but most also conserve indigenous worship practices of pre-Hispanic origin. Literate Maya increasingly see a sacred testament in the Popol Vuh, an ancient Maya account of the creation and history of the world. Most Andean highlanders receive the main Catholic sacraments, such as Communion, but also make sacrifices to the deified mountains whom they feel own their land and water. After the Vatican II reforms (1962-1965), many Catholic clergy took a more positive attitude toward such combinations, in conjunction with Church support for the social justice claims of oppressed peoples. Peru's spectacular Qoyllur Rit'i (starry snow) pilgrimage includes both a ritual climb in which costumed dancers bring sacred ice from the heights, and a mass in a chapel under a peak.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_701509044_23/Native_Americans_of_Middle_and_South_America.html

Look at Mormonism, a 100% American creation. Many conservative Christians do not consider this as a Christian religion.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:10 pm
Re: Why religions start?
vikorr wrote:
I often wondered if religion is simply a way people invented to explain (and connect with) our spiritual side...

I mean, to me, there has to be something that is 'spirit'...all you need to do is take a close look at mob mentality, six sense, twins who know what the other is feeling, close couples who know when the others died, team spirit, the will to live even as the body is dying...etc etc etc. To me, science can't properly explain this stuff...and I wonder if many religions started as an attempt to explain this (aside from all the many things that were unexplanable to them before science really took off)

What do you think?

You say science can't explain this stuff, but assume "this stuff" is real.

It's like saying "My monster trap is obviously faulty, I left it out all night and all I caught was a few stray cats and a peeping tom."
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:33 am
Quote:
You say science can't explain this stuff, but assume "this stuff" is real.

It's like saying "My monster trap is obviously faulty, I left it out all night and all I caught was a few stray cats and a peeping tom."

Hi Chumly,

There's direct observable evidence of much of what I said, and anecdotal evidence throughout history, including modern day, of the rest. Science can't even measure it, yet that doesn't mean it doesn't exist....science also currently can't currently explain quantum phsyics, and can't currently explain why the formed helium atom in nuclear fusion loses weight (at least, when I studied it as school in the 80's, it couldn't).

Which part don't you agree with?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:33 pm
Re: Why religions start?
OK, to be more specific:

vikorr wrote:

there has to be something that is 'spirit'

I don't agree.

vikorr wrote:
...all you need to do is take a close look at mob mentality, six sense, twins who know what the other is feeling, close couples who know when the others died, team spirit, the will to live even as the body is dying...etc etc etc.

None of these things prove the existence of a "spirit".

Sure, there are things science does not yet understand. That does not mean that all things not understood by science exist by default.

Assuming a "spirit" is akin to saying "well, I guess it's just magic, there's no explaining it." It's lazy thinking. The way I see it, anecdotal evidence is a good starting point to determine the parameters of a study to acquire actual evidence. Anecdotal evidence has always suggested (until quite recently) that the earth is flat.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:29 pm
Quote:
None of these things prove the existence of a "spirit".

Hi Eorl, you misunderstood me...I didn't mean 'a spirit', but simply 'spirit'.

Quote:
Sure, there are things science does not yet understand. That does not mean that all things not understood by science exist by default.

I quite agree with this. Perhaps science will one day be able to measure what I was talking about, perhaps not...won't be able to tell until it happens I guess.

Quote:
Assuming a "spirit" is akin to saying "well, I guess it's just magic, there's no explaining it." It's lazy thinking.
See above.

Quote:
The way I see it, anecdotal evidence is a good starting point to determine the parameters of a study to acquire actual evidence.

See above

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence has always suggested (until quite recently) that the earth is flat.
No, peoples fears of getting lost due to the inability to navigate accurately lead to this belief...it was based on people never returning from a sea voyage...which has two entirely plausible explanations that were known to them at the time (the ship sunk, and they got lost)...but fears made people believe the world was flat, and they would float of the end of the world if they sailed too far. So your example is far from similar.

edit : just has a thought...if you were a ship captain from the pre navigation days, and a storm was kicking up, it'd be a great motivating factor to get the sailors/oarsmen to work as hard as they could to 'prevent us sailing off the end of the world'...when the real reason was you knew you'd be hopelessly lost out of sight of land...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:36 am
xingu wrote:
. . . there is a lot about this subject I don't know about, that is the reason I suggest you look for yourself.
Excellent sidestepping of the issue, xing. If you know so little about it, why are you convinced it is the truth?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 02:16 pm
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
. . . there is a lot about this subject I don't know about, that is the reason I suggest you look for yourself.
Excellent sidestepping of the issue, xing. If you know so little about it, why are you convinced it is the truth?

I said NDE can very possibly be the basis for the belief of souls and the afterlife. NDE happens to all religions, cultures and has happened for all time humans have been on earth. One does not need to believe in it to understand that those who have this experience, and share it with others are conveying a message. The message; there is a soul and there is an afterlife.

I don't care if you believe or don't believe in NDE. I don't care what you believe. However if you want to find out about NDE than go do your own research and come to your own opinions. I'm not going to be your teacher and I'm not going to do your homework.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:29 pm
Just an idea: Perhaps God revealed Himself to mankind and justly demanded that we repent and turn to Him and follow Him. Perhaps people are decieved by themselves and their own sinful nature. Perhaps people could be decieved by demons. Perhaps people could make things up to gain power and control.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:34 pm
Run4Fun, perhaps.

Now, how about all the other religions.

Perhaps there is only one god, and his name is Allah, and his prophet is Mohammed?
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:47 pm
Hmm, I thought that the above 4 possibilities covered many religions, even possibly Islam.

Perhaps indeed, but the claim cannot be substantiated. A great critical examination of Islam can be found in Norman Geisler and Abdul Saleeb's Answering Islam. I just finished it myself and learned a lot.

I may note that Muhammad's own first impression was that he had encountered a demon who claimed to be God's messenger and the accounts of his inspiration are very similar to accounts of demon possesion. Also, Muhammad gave no miracle to confirm his claim to prophethood (the Qur'an says this outright). In this way, he is unlike all of the prophets before who all confirmed their claim with miracles.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:53 pm
As long as you stick to "perhaps", I'm happy enough.

That's as honest as a Christian can be.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:30 am
Run 4 fun wrote:
Just an idea: Perhaps God revealed Himself to mankind and justly demanded that we repent and turn to Him and follow Him. Perhaps people are decieved by themselves and their own sinful nature. Perhaps people could be decieved by demons. Perhaps people could make things up to gain power and control.

The problem I have with this is if God is to insist that we lead a life void of sin than he should set the example. Looking at God's behavior in the Bible I don't think you will find to many parents who would want to raise their children to be like God or to have his values.
0 Replies