Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 05:24 pm
It's worth rerenting.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:36 pm
Re: Harold and Maude
littlek wrote:
The best movie ever!

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it is a very good film and one of my all-time favorites.

littlek wrote:
If you haven't seen it, rent it. If you have, rent it again.

No need to -- I own a copy. Which reminds me, I haven't watched it in a while...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 08:37 pm
ok, one of the best movies ever! One of the best love stories ever.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 03:47 am
littlek wrote:
Made in 1971 (!), H&M still strikes chords today. There is the obsession with materialism, the distracted, self-interested mother, the androgynous son, the pediphiliac priest, computer dating......

Not to mention the film works without cheesy attention grabbers. For example, Harold's car doesn't burst into fire on falling off the cliff, as it would have in pretty much every other American movie. I liked that very much.

Computer dating? I must have missed this. Which scene are you talking about?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:59 am
Thomas wrote:
Computer dating? I must have missed this. Which scene are you talking about?

Harold's mother arranges a series of dates for Harold. It's toward the middle of the movie.
    Mrs. Chasen: I have here, Harold, the forms sent out by the National Computer Dating Service. It seems to me that as you do not get along with the daughters of my friends this is the best way for you to find a prospective wife. [Harold starts to interrupt] Mrs. Chasen: Please, Harold, we have a lot to do and I have to be at the hairdresser's at three. [she looks over the papers] Mrs. Chasen: The Computer Dating Service offers you at least three dates on the initial investment. They screen out the fat and ugly so it is obviously a firm of high standards.

Harold, of course, sabotages the dates by staging his own death, although one of his dates, an actress, gets into the spirit of things by enacting her own dramatic suicide.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:05 am
Oh, it's the matchmaker that used a computer. When I hear "computer dating", I think of chatrooms and the like, hence my confusion.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:18 am
My favorite scene is, when Maude is stopped by a motorcycle cop and she's
taking his bike after he impounded her car. Priceless!!

Every time I get stopped by CHP (well it's not that often) I think of this
scene and how much I would like to copycat it. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/he_and_she/girl_haha.gif
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:28 am
Harold and Maude is one of my favorite movies, and it has a wonderful sound track. I miss Cat Stevens. I saw Bud Cort in the movie "Pollock" about jackson Pollock, where he played one of the artist's friends. I didn't recognize him at all, but saw his name in the credits. Strangely, his character is also meek, just like Harold.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:27 pm
Oh yeah - definitely agree about it being one of the best movies ever! Got it as an x'mas present a few years ago, and have watched it a few times over.

Hubby though doesn't agree - was a little creeped out by the May-December romance.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
Great movie.

Was happy to see the kid in The Life Aquatic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:18 am
I haven't scrolled thru the whole thread to see if anyone has mentioned it, but on Friday, Match 23rd at 6:15 p.m. on TCM, they will be playing "Harold and Maude".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:58 am
Hey, thanks! I get TCM on a digital signal and if they letterbox the movie, I can Zoom it into wide screen DVD quality on my big screen. I just might burn a DVD.
0 Replies