Homosexuality v. Christianity -- A FEW QUESTIONS:

steissd

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
some Palestinian being handed with a rope made of another man's guts
First of all, this was a quotation, unfortunately, I have forgotten the source. From some revolutionary West European verse of 19th century calling for hanging the last king on the gut of the last priest. Then, some random Palestinian was not meant, but a definite terrorist.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:30 pm
Au,

By Israeli standards Steissd is neither teh softest or the toughest on Arabs.

Some who live under the circumstances you describe are much more dovish and some are more hawkish.

Just a small quibble, I don't think location is everything.

If I lived in Isreal maybe I'd hate Arabs. Some people who live there do, others don't.

I don't think Steissd hates Arabs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:53 pm
Craven, You're beginning to scare me - I mean your avatar. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:56 pm
Craven
Whether Steissd hates Arabs or not I do not know. For that you would have to ask him. I do know however, he could live without them.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:10 pm
Craven wrote:

"If I lived in Israel maybe I'd hate Arabs. Some people who live there do, others don't.

I don't think Steissd hates Arabs."

On the "Intolerance" thread, Snood wrote:

"...and some people have trouble trying to see things from another's perspective."

Craven, you seem to be one who is not afflicted with that very common problem on A2K...SFC*

* Sycophants For Craven: (see, although this is against your recommendation, I still decided to join up Laughing )
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:13 pm
I always thought SFC stood for Southern Fried Chicken. Learn something new every day. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:16 pm
2 choices here:

1. I always thought ci stood for Crass Intolerance; learn something new everyday;

or

2. I'll change the fanclub's name to CSF (Craven's Sycophantic Fanclub), but, then again, I'm certain you'll return to tell me what CSF really stands for and so I guess there's only 1 choice, ie. see #1 above.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:21 pm
au1929 wrote:
Craven
Whether Steissd hates Arabs or not I do not know. For that you would have to ask him. I do know however, he could live without them.

Au,

I am quite sure that he doesn't. I guess saying that might have implied that you thought he did. But I just meant it to clearify something else. I think he has a bias against Muslims and Arabs (heck, we all have biases), but I'm sure he doesn't let it get as far as hatred.

Thing is, the most dangerous biases are not the most hateful ones.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:10 pm
I shall try to make it clear. I do not hate Arabs, but I have serious reasons to dislike terrorists. It happens that currently majority of terrorists are Arabs. But the people I would like to see hanged are not Arabs in general, but those directly involved in terror in different ways: participation, logistics, incitement.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:35 pm
I always mistook sweetcomplication as "control freak." c.i.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 05:37 pm
That wasn't a mistake.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
steissd wrote:
I shall try to make it clear. I do not hate Arabs, but I have serious reasons to dislike terrorists. It happens that currently majority of terrorists are Arabs. But the people I would like to see hanged are not Arabs in general, but those directly involved in terror in different ways: participation, logistics, incitement.

Steissd,

"I have serious reasons to dislike terrorists." was very funny, even if not intended. Deadpan at its best.
Indeed, there are very good reasons to dislike terrorists.

Glad ya don't have a general wish to see Arabs hanged.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:00 pm
I will obviously have to read this thread through to find out why a thread with this title seems to have turned into one about the problems with Islam.

Steissd, desiring some people to be hanged with the entrails of others almost seems sort of identicalish with the behaviour depicted in the photograph you posted about how awful Palestinians are - you know, the one with the body parts................................????
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:03 pm
Deb, didn't you know the rules Sofia and ci have set for the forums? One must let the topic not get in the way of where it ends up, doncha know? They are STILL attacking me because I tried to keep the Whiteness thread on-topic. Look out or they'll be calling you a 'control freak'!!!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:23 pm
I don't think Craven would dress like that if he hadn't emptied the bottle in front of him first.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:24 pm
SC, perhaps so - however, if I may digress to the original point - Husker - you said: " I'm not letting them (homosexuals) into a place of responsability in my church"

So you have your own private church where you set the rules? Or are you speaking of all christian churches, or of your particular sect? If so, I was wondering who gave you the authority to say such a thing, since christians are divided on this issue?

Gautam - I was devastated when that Bishop resigned - however, while in one sense I think it is true to say he was "forced" to resign, in another, I understand he did so to avoid schism.

I am wondering if the pro-acceptance of homosexual clergy people are running a strategy of continuing to make these appointments, and withdrawing them when the clamour arises, then appointing again, gradually nudging the Anglican community towards change, without ever quite splitting it? I suspect this may be the tactic, and it is, I think, a good one if one does not want to see schism - which is continually threatened by the homophobes and the anti-ordination of women people - ( I suspect there is a large overlap in those groups).

One of my colleagues is lesbian and christian, and is involved in a VERY supportive inner city congregation. I will ask her how the minister of that church explains his embrace of gay people theologically.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:25 pm
Perhaps he has always wanted a pair of breasts just for him? The bottle may have helped, I concede.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:30 pm
Bunny--
I think there are churches (Christian) with leanings to Old and New Testaments. The Old Testament types like to keep homosexuals out. And condemn them, and harrass them and pass laws against them.

The New Testament types want to embrace the homosexual community, and realize the church should open its doors to everyone. Even for those who consider tha act of homosexuality a sin, should realize we all sin--and one sin is no worse than another. (For those who believe that, anyway.)

People, who follow more closely to Jesus' teaching, could not in good conscience turn any interested person away from attendance or service in a church.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:30 pm
Dux - I am not sure if it is quite fair to lay ALL the blame for the behaviour of the Conquistadores and their successors on their religion.

While we shall never know exactly how things might have panned out, had their religion not been one of such intense narrowness and chauvinism, I suspect the urge to conquer and plunder might have been equally strong under a less prejudiced religion - and the church did, at times, attempt to ameliorate the activities of the soldiers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
Not sure if it divides up that neatly, Sofia. Anglicanism is a new testament leaning religion, in the main, yet many powerful blocs of it seek to exclude un-repressed homosexuals. And women - from any roles of power.
0 Replies