• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,773 • Replies: 16
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:33 am
Is in San Antonio.

If he is serious about wanting to win a championship, that is.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 08:43 am
We'll see.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:06 pm
Jason Kidd and his wife, Joumana, returned to New Jersey from a lavish 26-hour recruiting visit to San Antonio late Monday, laden with a $94 million maximum offer and visions of winning a championship. The Spurs' presentation was so persuasive that Kidd was leaning toward signing with the N.B.A champions, according to three people with intimate knowledge of the Nets.

When the Nets learned yesterday of Kidd's inclination, the organization acted quickly to try to convince him that New Jersey was still the best place for him and his family. The Nets, though, are running out of time. Kidd told the Spurs and the Nets that he hoped to make a decision by Friday and no later than Monday.

NYT Online

Now the question is, can they beat the Lakers with Payton and Malone?

I don't think so...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
I have no dog in this fight, as the saying goes, but it does seem kind of sad that Kidd, who wants to win a championship, may simply sign on with the defending champions. What's his achievement if they repeat?

Seems as though it would more of an accomplishment for him to help the Nets win their first NBA crown. I feel the same about Gary Peyton signing with the Lakers, as now seems likely...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 04:15 pm
Even if Kidd signs with the Spurs, and the Spurs are also successful in getting P.J. Brown or Alonzo Mourning, on paper it would look like the Lakers (with Payton and Malone) have the advantage. My hope is that the sheer volume of that many egomaniacs on one Laker team will cause it to implode, causing the Spurs to be the favorite. If Jackson can find a way to make all those prima donnas dance together, they won't have any real competition; I mean jeez- that's 4 future hall of famers on one starting 5.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:02 pm
I guess if I were a Spurs fun, I'd be thrilled aboutt Kidd, Brown and Mourning joining the team, and if I were a Lakers fan, I'd be thrilled with Peyton and Malone joining that team.

I don't pretend to understand the nuances of the NBA salary cap, but I thought the point was to level the playing field somehow. How can these teams stock up on so much Hall of Fame talent? I thought only the Yankees could do that, and baseball has no salary cap...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:32 pm
I don't know all the "nuances" either - but I'd bet my bottom dollar that any owner with opportunity gives less than half a **** about "leveling" anything.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:43 am
Well, yeah, owners (at least the ones who can afford it) will do whatever it takes to win. My point is to wonder to what extent they can do it under salary cap rules. Apparently, to a great extent...

Though I did notice that Payton signed with the Lakers for less than he could've gotten elsewhere...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 11:21 am
Looks like Jason is off to NJ for $99 million!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
I count that as a feel-good moment. Of course, the money is insane, but it would have just about equally so if he'd signed with the Spurs. He's staying loyal to the Nets, fancy that! It's almost enough to have me rooting for NJ next season...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 04:12 pm
...motivation might not have been all noble - he's a big man in the east, and would've had to subjugate his ego on the Spurs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 06:25 pm
Plus the West is a tough crowd, in the East he is pretty much assured a shot at the finals.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:16 pm
This way, the Lakers and the Nets are assured a place in the finals. I dunno what I think about it. I like that Malone and Payton are willing to take less money just because they want to be Lakers, and Shaq doing his general manager routine and calling everyone, but it doesn't seem very sporting, somehow. I mean, nobody else has a chance.

What'll be interesting is if they underperform. Like, if Shaq is lazy, and Malone gets in his face about "You promised me a title...! Get your lazy ass in gear!!" and Shaq takes umbrage.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:17 pm
So you want a little spice huh?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
Well, a cakewalk to a Lakers-Nets final would be BO-ring. The only thing that I see getting in their way (Lakers, anyway) is ego.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:47 pm
Where's Rodman when you need him... He helped keep a question mark on the Bulls.
0 Replies