Windows validation program making Media Player inoperable.

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:00 pm
I have...to my sorrow...an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional.

I cannot rectify it since the company which sold me the computer is no longer around, and I am not going to spend money on it, since I am likely to upgrade my computer in the next 12 months, and am likely to go with Vista...so...

I have automatic updates enabled, and my computer therefore happily downloaded and installed the newish Windows validation thingy.

Recently, I downloaded updates for Media Player, and the validation program will not allow me to use Media Player any more....a window pops up when I try, directing me to find out if my copy of Windows is genuine, and will not alow the player to work until I have done this.

Media Player is my default player, and I have been trying to change this, without success...so I am unable to play a number of things that get sent to me.

I am wondering if I can fix the problem by

a. Making another player my default, if so how?

b. Getting rid of the validation program.....but I have managed to find instructions for this, but they make it sound both difficult and of gloomy prognosis...(as they would I guess)

c. Reverting to the previous version of Media Player....but not sure how to do this?

Thanks for any informed help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 770 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:45 am
Er.....HELP??????
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:49 am
Sorry deb, out of my league.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:56 am
The easiest way would be installing another player. Then, with the new one, making the association (type of files) in the "options" section.

Easy enough...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:46 am
Francis wrote:
The easiest way would be installing another player. Then, with the new one, making the association (type of files) in the "options" section.

Easy enough...

I have other players.

Tell me more about the next bit, please?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:16 am
Download and install the latest version of Apple QuickTime. Open the player, go to Edit->Preferences, then select the File Types tab.

Select which file types you want associated with QuickTime, and click OK.

iTunes will offer to set itself as the default player when you install, and a new version just came out. To set it after it's installed Edit->Preferences, Advanced tab, check the "Use iTunes as the default player for audio files" option.
0 Replies

aladinonl

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 12:09 pm
so..
1.start-control panel-automatic updates-notify me but dun...
wenever windows wanna download any update, read its features carefuli, disable which u dun nid, it sav ur disk space since sumtimes windows jus download sumting dat u never use n never kno (wat i call junk)

2.use media classic player, dis is my favorite media player n it jus great 4 various of codecs altho not fanciful as windows media. google it n download 4 free.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:11 pm
Thank you!

Trying that....
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 08:24 pm
You might try the other one, Real Player, or Real Music Player, or whatever it is. I like WMP more, but when I got my present computer I loaded Real, which I'd had on the old one, and just like the older version it tried like hell to take over every kind of media task, and it took me a while to beat it back into submission, which might be just what would work for you if there doesn't seem to be an easy way to stop WMP being your default player. Real will just bite it on the leg and make it cower.
0 Replies