Primitive Communism: A mutual exchange of gifts

coberst

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
Primitive Communism: A mutual exchange of gifts

The mutual exchange of gifts between individuals and groups represents the heart of archaic economic activity. When food was available everybody had food; the hunter, who returned with food, distributed it among the rest of the community. If someone had something someone else wanted, it was given to them. This represents the core of primitive communism.

The common attitude in modern sapiens regarding income might well be expressed as "I've upped my income, now up yours". Such was not the case in early times. The process of freely giving and freely receiving of gifts was embedded in an important cosmological perception.

Primitive human life had a perception that wo/man owed a great debt to invisible powers. These early humans were conscious of the need for a vigorously maintained balance sheet. Primitives recognized man's essential relation to nature. Nature gives freely of her bounty to humans and humans were beholden and grateful. They demonstrated this essential truth with fellow human creatures, with nature, and with the invisible world of the dead and the gods.

Questions for discussion

Why can humans neither now nor long ago, be comfortable and satisfied with a bountiful nature, which can easily supply all our needs?

The ceremonial destruction of mountains of food was a religious act. It was an attempt to keep "the cycle of power moving between the invisible to the visible world". Could this same motive explain our modern inclination for war?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 399 • Replies: 0
No top replies