Why do you believe what you believe?

Cobbler

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
Just wondering.

Why do you Christians believe in the Bible and not the Koran?
Why do you Muslims believe in the Koran and not the Bible?
Why do you Buddhists believe in neither of these?

So on and so forth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,157 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:28 pm
I'd say because of the differences in the book, each religion is so different yet so similiar, but if they were all the same, what would be the point.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:33 pm
Good question.

Why does people believe fairytales are true? Because they want to. On some subconscious level or other.

But a better question might be...

Why do those who believe in things they cannot satisfactory explain insist on nattering on about it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:42 pm
There is a little known and rather perverse law that sates the less a person knows about something, the more they wish to opine about it.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:44 pm
Yes, people tend to form their opinions from emotional reaction fairly often, rather than from cold facts. Myself included.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:50 pm
The cerebral cortex is mighty thin compared to the balance of the remaining volume of the brain, .08 to .16 inches in fact.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:06 am
I reckon its got a lot to do with where you are born and what you're upringing is.

My parents are devout christians, but they've never read the Koran, and if they tried to now, they would probably only disagree with it because they've been conditioned by the christian way of thinking for so long.
I think its a shame.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:10 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Good question.

Why does people believe fairytales are true? Because they want to. On some subconscious level or other.

But a better question might be...

Why do those who believe in things they cannot satisfactory explain insist on nattering on about it?
Exclamation Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
The Pentacle Queen has it spot on! Born and raised, then some more. Brainwashed to the core.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
Quote:
Why do you believe what you believe?
Because if we didn't believe it we would not believe what we believe.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:43 am
I think Neo is onto something here.

I do not believe what I do not believe.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:43 am
I can't believe you guys said that . . .
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:57 am
"Give an answer to everyone who asks you, to give the reason for the hope that you have." 1 Peter 3:15[/i] Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:20 pm
Wow! someone agrees with me on a religon forum.
That has to be a first.
Thank you CI.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:52 pm
I acknowledge what people say if I agree and disagree with any opinion. Your's happen to be spot on!
0 Replies

cello

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:15 pm
Cobbler, maybe because the Bible and the Koran tell you only to believe in it and not something else? Another god, for example. (If I am wrong in what those two books say, please correct me, because I am not familiar with neither.)

Why Buddhists believe in neither? Buddhists do not believe in God, so why would they believe the Bible or the Koran?

I remember having read that Buddha even asked his disciples to question what he taught them, not to accept them as truth without checking it out by themselves (i.e. meditate about it, etc.). Even just before his death, he asked them if they had any questions at all to ask them then. The "religious" concepts are different, and I wonder whether Buddhism is a religion if there is no god involved.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:20 pm
I don't know my bible that well, but I'm sure it has a verse that says something like "have no other gods before me." They have almost every base covered, except for all the contradictions and mistakes.

Their science wasn't all that good back then, but the miracles were common occurances.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:24 pm
cello wrote:
Cobbler, maybe because the Bible and the Koran tell you only to believe in it and not something else? Another god, for example. (If I am wrong in what those two books say, please correct me, because I am not familiar with neither.)

Why Buddhists believe in neither? Buddhists do not believe in God, so why would they believe the Bible or the Koran?

I remember having read that Buddha even asked his disciples to question what he taught them, not to accept them as truth without checking it out by themselves (i.e. meditate about it, etc.). Even just before his death, he asked them if they had any questions at all to ask them then. The "religious" concepts are different, and I wonder whether Buddhism is a religion if there is no god involved.

No, no, what I'm saying is.. Why do Christians think the Bible is true and not the Koran? Why do Buddhists become Buddhists? All of that.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:51 pm
Oh, I would be interested to hear Christians, Muslims and Buddhists answer the questions from their points of view then.

For my part, I think I answered indirectly by saying Buddhists disciples are expected to question the truth of what Buddha taught as part of their "religious" learning. But why Buddhists become Buddhists, I don't know, for I don't even think that children from Buddhists families are automatically Buddhists, i.e. that they have to practice the "religion" of their parents.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:09 pm
Cobbler wrote:
cello wrote:

No, no, what I'm saying is.. Why do Christians think the Bible is true and not the Koran? Why do Buddhists become Buddhists? All of that.

Why do some people believe in Santa Claus? There is no difference.
0 Replies