[SOLVED] errors from admin panel after instal sticky avatar

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:28 pm
Hi Craven - just when i thought i had it licked - i get this error:

General Error
Failed to update general configuration for 'allow_avatar_sticky'

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'allow_avatar_sticky''' at line 3

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '1' WHERE config_name = ''allow_avatar_sticky''

Line : 62
File : /home/gadgetad/public_html/forums/admin/admin_board.php

i checked admin_board.php and did not mod any code near where the error is.
i went to phpmysql and deleted the values for allow_avatar sticky, and then copied and pasted the insert into code per netclectic's mod

any ideas?
i am glad to have the avatars back - this error just makes me wonder if everything else is okay. i do get a LOT of errors when i try to access things from the admin panel, since that whacky FM board override, and i ignore most of them as i udnerstand those modules are no longer used, etc. - but i'm surprised about the above new error after the mod. thanks for the help!

UPDATE: After a lot of hair pulling, i went back to phpmyadmin, monkeyed around with the sql and made sure i deleted any prior entries for the fields, and then inserted the field per the mod, and that seems to have solved the problem - wasn't a code problem so much as how i monkeyed with the mysql database - doh! i THINK i had set the value of "1" to be ascii versus binary - but then, what else is new for me? Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,184 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:48 pm
Arrg, you shoulda deleted the FM files and the FM database entries.

Does FM document their code? If not expect a huge pain in the ass.

I am not familiar with netclectic's code, have you asked him about it? I know he's on your site but he also has a site where he give pretty good support for his own code.

I'd have to go find his code, download it, and then read and test ot but he could probably answer you with less difficulty.

I have only read the sticky avatar code once, it was months ago and i don't remember it.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:49 am
no prob about the sticky avatars - the avatars are back, and sticky or not i'm happy.
Actually, I did ask you if i should delete the fm files before i overwrote the phpbb, you said to leave them (i think) - i can always look for dates that are older than june 25 (the date of the reinstall) and just delete those.
i am suprised that those files would cause a problem - i would imagine the pure phpbb code never calls those extra fm files.
as for the database entries, i would imagine i just have extra entries, like which flag, versus actually calling it, so i don't know why that would cause a problem - unless the entries/categories were modified from the pure phpbb so the pure phpbb can't handle them in their present form.
i suppose if i really want to be pure phpbb compliant, i'd have to create a new phpbb database, and then export the matching data entries, and manually compare the non-exact entries - ugh
i can live with errors in the admin panel as long as the rest of the site is functional (which it had been) until my latest sticky avatar mod, which for some reason seems to be upsetting the panel when i try to "submit" - now that does concern me as i wonder if changes made to the panel are in fact going through.
doh! Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:56 am
Avatars are back? Did you reinstall sticky avatars?

The FM files whouldn't cause problems. But the thing is the admin panel, if I remember correctly, doesn't call files but loads any module that is in the admin directory.

So you should delete any FM files that phpbb didn't overwrite.

The axtra feilds in the database shouldn't be a problem, but if FM altered phpbb feilds then there might be a prob. I doubt that is the case, it would be a really stupid way to do it.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:14 am
if there's a stupid way to do it, then i think fm did it Sad
avatars seem to be working perfectly - i reinstalled sticky avatars which did the trick - i still don't see why that was necessary - but hey, it works so i'm happy.
there were a couple of minor typos in the fetch all home page that affected gallery avatars - there was a %3 in the code, which i just changed to <?
and that did the trick! now the board is running well - but very slow (powerweb is having some trouble)
i just added the code for phpadsnew to display (per phpbb.com) so we'll see if i get that to work.
question: now that i'm not using subsilver from the admin panel, (at least i think i'm not) how do i change the colors, going to the .css?
i've seen templates on phpbb.com - i'm not necessarily looking to load a new template, but i would like to modify the site colors - the stock icons seem pretty enough to me Smile
do i also need to change something to make the headers and everything else match, i.e. the top of tables, etc.?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
If you want to change site colors you need to edit the subSilver.css file.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
gotcha - thanks!
are you aware of listings anyplace that have nice recommended site color schemes, instead of dealing with templates and assorted files?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
What do you mean? Do you mean templates to isntall? Because you will either have to edit your CSS file and template files or simply install a different theme.

Note that using subSilver will preculde some difficulties in the future.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:06 pm
i backed up my subSilver.css, and then started poking around. with the limited time i had available today, it looked like crap Smile so i restored.
Anyway, i would plan to manually edit subSilver.css to change colors. I imagine that's the right way to go, and then i might have to change file names or reload for different colored table headers - sound about right?

Any idea what i can do to fix the error from trying to save my admin panel updates? it goes like this:

General Error
Failed to update general configuration for 'allow_avatar_sticky'

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'allow_avatar_sticky''' at line 3

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '1' WHERE config_name = ''allow_avatar_sticky''

Line : 62
File : /home/gadgetad/public_html/forums/admin/admin_board.php

even if i havent' touched the sticky avatar selection. thoughts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
I really ahve no idea. Like I said, I do not know the sticky avatar code and since I don't like that feature I don't really plan on testing it.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:46 pm
gotcha. i thought it may have been an obvious error, like increasing the size of a column in the sql database or something similar - sorry!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:08 pm
Well I can tell you what I think it is but I don't even know which panel you are alluding to.

I think there is a feild in the database for the sticky avatar mod.

When you update this part of the database there is no code to update that particular field.

So it's saying "wassup???"

But ask netclectic. It's his code. Just search for "the most useless website in the world" in google to find his site.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:10 am
holy smokes! i thought you were kidding about netclectic's site coming up, but it did! (that's probably because google hasn't properly indexed my very useless site yet!) - now that is funny!

BTW - it seems phpbb.com does not have a list of unsafe mods - yet. i put up the post and they're considering a simple warning list - so actually the credit should go to you - take a bow!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:40 am
Yeah, the funny thing is that he discovered that by accident, he didn't do a Google bomb or anything.

phpbb.com doesn't list unsafe mods (and they will flatly refuse to do so) for several reasons. I disagree with them but understand.

1) security through obscurity - this is not their front line against security threats but is something they employ. If they told people which mods had holes script-kiddies would know where to look to find exploits and expoilt other people's sites.

2) they can't possibly spread the word out to each person, so they decided instead to only telll everyone not to use any code that is not in their mod database. This is a simpler approach and they stick to it
0 Replies