I REALLY want to know: Star Wars

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:44 pm
boomerang wrote:
My "by six you meant three" was directed towards DrewDad, material girl.

I sneaked an edit in there when I noticed my goof....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:20 pm
cyphercat wrote:
I'm interested in Soz's experience with not being allowed to watch them as a kid-- my parents were super careful about what I watched (because I was such a baby that Scooby Doo really scared me-- seriously), but I watched all of them at five and loved them. My dad was a young parent, so he'd been exactly the age when they came out to be completely into them; my older brother was also a huge fan, so I think it was probably just assumed by everyone that I had to see them asap Laughing

My parents were extremely restrictive about exposure to TV or movies when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to watch any TV but Mister Rogers, Sesame Street, and "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" when I was a little kid. I didn't watch a single Disney movie until I was an adult. It was about materialism, and exposure to violence, stuff like that.

So they weren't singling out Star Wars per se, it was just part of their general philosophy.

I just checked, it came out in 1977 so I was in second grade I think. That was the only one where I remember it being a big issue (my class had a whole unit built around Star Wars, made an R2D2 etc., then went to see it -- except me), but I didn't see either of the other two either until E.G. said that I MUST and we watched all of 'em in a row, on video.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
I'd have been in 2nd grade, too, and I was allowed to go see it.

Good argument for keeping the kids away, I say.
0 Replies