all the tired horses in the sun

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 03:25 pm
farmerman wrote:
When you raise sheep,you gotta have a fence that reaches out and touches them through all those layers of wool. We like the Australian chargers because they work over long distances with gfood results. I guarantee that if you came even close to one of our fences it would arc a blue one as long as yer finger. For us its actually more for keeping wild dogs out as it is for keeping the sheep in.
The worse stories I ever heard were those where people have tried to pee on an electric fence. I never knew whether that was a rural legend because I dont know a damn person dumb enough to try it in the first place.

Anybody pees on an electric fence got it coming.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
Thanks, Dys.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 04:28 pm
Diane--

Had you not done the groundwork....
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 04:33 pm
Now, this is entertainment.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 05:24 pm
Gotta keep him going: his grandfather's marriage proposal to his grandmother; the Italian ladies teaching his grandmother how to REALLY cook; the Italian ladies who tried to bash each other's head in; the flamingos.........
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
and what about you missy? Wink

wheres your thread?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 05:49 pm
those sheep fences in the black forest must have been pretty weak - didn't notice any lasting damages - except there is that continous humming in my ears and sparks coming off my hair Shocked .
why didn't anybody warn me ?
can i still sue the farmer ?
hbg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 05:57 pm
This is "down home" goodstyle. It suggests a yearning for a passed world.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:40 pm
<Swimpy meant to pull up a chair, but forgot to check off the htmls.>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:01 am
Ah shewolf, growing up in a fairly red-neck family, my life was boring as hell; uh, make that boring as heaven...
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:27 am
I really liked that fish story -man, that was funny. It would make a great cartoon - seeing the bubbles rise out of their mouths like they were fish themselves.
For some reason that cracks me up
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
<bookmarking>
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:00 pm
in the early 60's some friends convinced us that we could save money by buying half a pig at a country abattoir .
since we had a little VW rabbit with only a very small trunk , i put the cartop carrier on the car and off we went over the country roads .
it was the middle of the winter and bitterly cold , so mrs h , ebeth - who was about 7 or 8 years old - and i were bundled up nicely - not much heat from the heater !
we picked up the half side , tied it onto the cartop carrier and drove off to a country butcher to have the pig cup and have some bacon and ham smoked there .
it was about a 20 mile drive and after perhaps 5 miless or so , there was a loud "crack" . we stopped - the cheap aluminum carrier had broken and we were in danger of losing the half-side - what to do ?
mrs h transferred to the backseat with ehbeth , the half side of the pig - with the head still attached ! - was strapped into the passenger seat and we resumed our drive !
we noticed a few surprised villagers looking at us and the car as we drove on !
did we care ? no ! we wanted to get the side to the butcher and enjoy some pork !
we still think of all the fun our VW rabbit gave us over the years .
too bad we didn't have a camera with us !
hbg

ps. the pork and smoked bacon and ham tasted good - but no more half-sides were purchased !
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:40 pm
Sounds yummy to smoke your own bacon & ham, HAM-burger! It's a lot of meat though, isn't it? What a picture you paint -- little ehBeth in the back with her mum & a large-headed porker in the front seat of the VW with you.

Your carrying around a side of pork reminds me of the story in 'Tis, where Frank McCourt's friend gets kicked off the NYC bus for carrying a side of beef with him. They leave it in the street and people call the police, thinking it is a badly mauled accident victim. Terrible story. Very Happy

Speaking of "snouts...." What happened to the horses?!??? I thought we were promised some tired horse stories........
0 Replies