Freedom of Speech - French Style

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:53 am
Okay. Here are the relevant links:

Loi relative à la prévention de la délinquance

LOI n° 2007-297 du 5 mars 2007 relative à la prévention de la délinquance (1) - NOR: INTX0600091L

I agree with mostwhat the "Reporters sans frontière" (a organisation, btw, labeled by the author of this thread elsewhere as "communists") ...
see here ... but I can't find anywhere such as noted in the opening thread.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
Walt, you are what my circle of friends refer to as a "sheeple". If you cannot read between the lines to see that the real implications of the laws, bans, and whatever other goverment intervention in people's lives you promote, all I can say to you is "Baaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" (I'm sure you understand).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
Well, I must admit again that my French obviously isn't as good as yours to read between those lines.

However, as far as I know the French law(s) and constituion, this is okay, since the Conseil Constitutionnel decided so.

Do you have different information about the French constitutional laws and their constitution which they didn't regard?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 12:44 pm
So, you're OK with having your rights taken away by arbitrary government decisions? Is that what you are saying?

Walter - this is the chancellor - you need to stop typing now!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:43 pm
Obviously it's according to the French constitution, at least that's what their highest council re constitution has declared.

I wonder why you don't read about what you quoted/wrote.

It's a bad law due to the side-effects, not to the intention.
But it's according to the constitution.

Perhaps the French will get a new one. And if really the conservatives stay in power and if really the now Interior Minister becomes president - the new laws will be worse as far as I judge those conservatives.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
Precisely why you don't craft laws like that. Precisely why I am so protective the 2A and the rights its provides.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:06 pm
As you certainly noticed and know, the American constituion isn't only younger than the French but has no legal power at all in France.

Reading several reports, I suppose, the law was indeed mad that way per pupose by the conservatives - it's election time there, and they need some more votes from the extreme right.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:11 pm
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:19 pm
I'd thought, you'd started to discuss this topic now seriously.

Sorry. Crying or Very sad

So my opinion again: I'm not against the banning of "happy slapping".
I do think, however, that quite a few of the meassurements in this anti-youth-crime bill are .... well, very conservative.

And I fully agree that the ban could restrict citizens reporting on subjects such as police brutality.
0 Replies