All the Capote's

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:18 am
Im intrigued by Capote.
There is the film with Philip Seymour Hoffman which Ive not seen, there is another new CApote film with Danial Craig in it, I also got the In cold blood book for christmas which Ive not read yet.

HAve to admit Im not too sure what the subjects are other than murder and Capote being quite a character.

I just wondered should i read the book first then see one of the films, or leave the book and see a film, both films?

What do you suggest
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 813 • Replies: 4
No top replies

aidan

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:32 am
I saw Capote with Philip Seymour Hoffman-I liked it. I thought it was engrossing and the cinemetography was beautiful. That stark, lonely, mid-western prairie feel which contributed to the feeling of fear and isolation in terms of the crime was its strongest point I felt.

In terms of the book, I read that when I was about twelve-a friend had read it and suggested I read it because it was scary. So I did, and I had nightmares for years. To me, especially as a child, the climactic scene in that book was nothing short of horrifying.
And when I was older and reread it again, the sadness and futility of the whole thing (especially when I understood Perry's situation) just added another aspect to the horror of it.

It's an interesting book and I think worth reading, but just prepare to be affected. I think I'd start with Capote (the movie) to see how that strikes you first. In my mind the book is more powerful than that version of the movie.
I haven't seen the version with Daniel Craig, although I plan to.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:24 pm
Toby Jones portrayed Capote in "Infamous," the "other" movie about Capote, with Daniel Craig in a small role as Perry Smith. Jones fell short of Phillip Seymour Hoffman and I agree with aidan on the cinematography -- it really captured the time and place.

"In Cold Blood" is a novel I don't think I could reread. It is powerful and probes deeply into its characters, but its darkness is so compelling that one could feel like they've been put through the mill.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:39 pm
Just me, but I think I'd go with reading the book first.

I mean, Capote was a writer, he wanted you to read his material.

BTW material girl....have you ever read the book or seen the movie "to kill a Mockingbird"?

One one the children in the book (the visiting nephew) was based on Truman as a child. The little girl, Scout, was based on the author herself, Harper Lee.

TKaM is one of the most moving books/movies I've ever read/seen.

But that's another story :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:21 pm
I would read the book first and then see the film version:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0061809/

There's a certain irony of Robert Blake portraying Perry Smith. The nature of sociopathy (now pretty much dropped for "pyschotic.") The new film "Zodiac" gets into that same area. It always ticks me off when film criptics bemoan the subject matter of a serial killer, but "In Cold Blood" wasn't exactly in the genre. They had it in them, but their didn't go on to act on it. The crux of the matter was the supposed hidden money in the farmhouse which was never found. Okay, now I've talked myself into reading it again and it is in my library.

I think see the filmed version first and then "Capote" will reveal a lot more about this American tragedy and Capote's meticulous investigative reporting.
After all, it's really an in-depth reporting of the details of the story developed into a novelized form. The book was ahead of its time is some respects but there have been many others. "Burr," or "Julian" by Gore Vidal come to mind. Capote always touted that he had invented something new but it was actually still history, even if recent history, and involved heavy interpretation of characters and events. I think he did manage to get it spot-on. I don't believe I've ever read a description of the scenario of a murder scene as gripping. I met Capote several times at his Palm Springs home and he was fascinating to converse with, though a big inebriated (okay, I had had a couple of cocktails myself). I didn't perceive him as a very empathetic person and felt his attachment to Perry Smith had strong sexual tension involved. Capote, I think, was the consummate observer.
0 Replies