• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,673 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:31 pm
welcome to A2k

sorry, but I've got no clue how to help you there. good luck on your search.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:38 pm
Shakespeare suggests that great Caesar's dust is stopping a bung hole.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:23 pm
A bung? Naw.

"Even imperial Caesar, turned to clay
Might stop a hole to keep the wind away."

'T'ain't no bung, unless it's a cask full of wind. Some think Richard III might have stopped a few bungs in his time, though...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:24 pm
'Scuse me -- make that "imperious."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:41 pm
Tess - I am guessing at what you're getting at. I am not a scientist. I have no link. But...........

Soon after the big bang, all the molecules that make up the current universe were already in existence. On earth, we are pretty much a closed system. Sometimes a piece of rock from outside our world lands and some specific molecules pass into or through our little world. So, we live in a never ending cycle or reuse. The universe is the ultimate recycler. So, on earth we've had billions of people pass through history (trillions?). When they die, their molecules disperse (though that may get harder with modern burial practices) into the world around them and become recycled into other things - trees, grass, animals, other humans. So, you may have a molecule that once inhabited a cave man, Napolean, Lenin, a mammoth, or whomever in your body.

I think of it like this, even in life, when you move through the world you are in a constant state of exchange with the molecules that surround you.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:47 pm
There was something on NPR about this not long ago. I'll see if I can hunt up a link for you. (May take a day or so. I have other projects going, too. But it was a Charles Colwich feature.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:00 pm
I did a quick search and could find nothing, Merry.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 04:26 am
littlek wrote:
I did a quick search and could find nothing, Merry.

So far, me neither. Maytbe we're looking in the wrong places. I distinctly remember the promo for this item. It's possible, of course, that it's no longer online and so no link is available. But I'll loook some more later.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
Take a cup of water from the ocean, and it has H2O molecules that were part of Shakespeare, Hitler, Jesus, Stalin, and Leonardo da Vinci.

It just shows that there are more molecules in a cup of water than there are cups of water in the ocean....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:57 pm
Drew, it MIGHT have those molecules. I don't think you're guaranteed to find them though.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:52 pm
Quote:
Take a cup of water from the ocean, and it has H2O molecules that were part of Shakespeare, Hitler, Jesus, Stalin, and Leonardo da Vinci.

Exactly, but I believe they will not be molecules as those are a group of atoms in a definite arrangement held together . Probability of those still hold together is very small; However, without going to Q physics , we all are just a number of atoms . Our earth is very closed and small environment when it comes to universe, therefore we are just a little bricks made of our ancestors. I am looking for a link which will bring some scientifical data to this claim.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:03 pm
littlek wrote:
Drew, it MIGHT have those molecules. I don't think you're guaranteed to find them though.

I do suppose it would depend on the actual existence of those persons.
0 Replies