persecution of christians

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:20 pm
I think your school should throw you to the lions for the entertainment of the general population as was done in the past.

Get over it son.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:27 pm
Quote:
Why do musicians and painters get persecuted?

Because the industrious ants that flood our societies see them as freeloaders who do not contribute anything worth while. At least not until they've achieved success. Then they cannot get enough of them.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
hmm. It's a weird situation.
To be an artist is to be very selfish / self absorbed.
I didn't mean to make a fuss about this, it's just I never realised that musicians and painters were'nt repected.

although now I think of it, most people who quit school at the age of 16 to be in a band with their mates get frowned upon don't they?
In case thats ok, cos im going to uni. Smile

anyway, sorry I shall stop changing the subject.

carry on going on about God and that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 09:56 am
There's an awful lot of nonsense being peddled here about "artists," where they are practitioners of one of the plastic arts, or are musicians. It is a load of crap that "artists" have to be selfish. Some are, and some aren't. Personally, i've always judged "artists" by exactly the same standards which i apply to anyone else--how they treat others around them. Therefore, i despise people such as Wagner or Picasso, who were selfish and treated people around them, including their supposed friends and members of their families, in a cruel manner. Similarly, i greatly admire someone such as Franz Josef Haydn, who created new musical forms, invented the modern symphony from the simfonia concertante, and who was also a cheerful, happy loving man, with a large family, and many good friends in the community of musicians and composers of which he was a part.

I am not surprised, though, to see the naive and childish assertion (whether direct or inferential) that "artists" are special, and different from plumbers and actuaries, or anyone else who does not pretend to art.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
Papa Haydn's dead and gone,
But his music lingers on,
When his heart was full of bliss,
He played jolly tunes like this.

Love his Surprise Symphony.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:06 am
Me, too. I have read that he wanted to make sure the audience was awake. He invented the string quartet, you know. His symphony 55 was entitled The Schoolmaster, and was a good-natured musical portrait of the Schoolmaster at the Eszterhazy estate where he was then employed. He was very good about writing pieces of music to feature a particular musician in Eszterhazy's orchestra.

By the way, in the interest of honesty, Haydn as a family man was true to his mistress, not his wife. He and his wife did not get along. He and his mistress got along very well, however. He may have had more than one mistress, in fact.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
Thanks for that info, Setanta. I guess courtesans were a respite from the day to day of marriage.

Sorry to derail the thread about Christians and persecution.

Tried to post a link to Hydn's Surprise symphony in the key of C. Didn't work.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:19 pm
Well I don't like Hayden personally, but thats not the point.

Sentana, I didn't mean literally selfish, but I meant more 'self absorbed.'
Im at art school, my tutors go home early a lot of the time to work on their own projects. That's not really fair, but we all accept it. Artists can be selfish, because they are completely driven by their own creative purpose. And I think this is a lot of the reason that they appear pretensious sometimes. I think that most arty or creative people have a 'fire' inside them that leads them to think that their art is great, and that they could do great things.

anyhoo, this is just what I have learned from being at art school and a really good choir. I may be wrong, so don't have a go at me, but I would be interested to see what you think.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:37 am
Well, there are a damn lot of 'artists' and 'musicians' nowadays. It's gotten beyond ridiculous.

Every Joe and Jenny who ever thought they could mildly sing, songwrite, or paint has a CD, opening, or someother thing.

Just up to the eyeballs in it.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
yeah but thats the celebrity culture.
I wanna be a musician but I don't care if I'm famous.
Not a lot of people are up to date with modern classical music.
Although, that could be because it's mainly crap.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:20 am
I make every effort not to persecute christians anymore than absolutely necessary.
0 Replies