persecution of christians

bretter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:02 pm
i knew out in the world that christians were put to death just due to their belief in jesus. i never knew that i would also be subject to this persection. although it was not as bad as other christians that are tortured the effects did not phisically hurt me but drained some of my confidence. today after i was finished with a math test i was drawing three crosses representing the trinity when a girl i had been tring to help yelled out. what is the matter with you? you ar such a Jesus Freak. i knew that i was a Jesus freak but to be called one in such a crude and humilitating manner was a disgrace. i had never felt so rejected for my belief as i did in 7th grade math class.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,782 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
You were attempting to help another student in a math test? Do you consider that honest? Is that consonant with your christian beliefs?

This other student yelled at you during a math test, but there was no reaction from your teacher? What kind of school do you attend?

How do you allege that another student yelling at you constitutes persecution? Do you allege that no one is ever allowed to criticize your beliefs?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
I wouldn't consider one comment as persecution.

1: to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
2: to annoy with persistent or urgent approaches (as attacks, pleas, or importunities) : pester
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:39 pm
your being put in the spotlight doesn't compare to the people who are marginalized on a daily basis by Christians.

Let us not forget the boyscouts.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
Hey bretter, I'm curious to know what you did after the girl said that to you?

What you describe here sounds like high school. For pretty much everybody!

Somebody may pick on the fact that you or someone else is a Christian.
Or they may pick on the fact that a person is NOT a christian (had that happen before).
Or they may pick on a hair style, or clothes, or anything really.

And from what I remember of those days, I know I said a few things to people that might have hurt their feelings or made them feel rejected. Often I liked those people.
It's just that sometimes we say the wrong things or don't think it will have the effect it does.

We have all wanted to fit in.

Welcome to the board, btw!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 04:48 am
It's Junior High, and it's just about what everyone has experienced at one time or another. This is how Junior High and children (yes, children) of that age group work. They seek out anyone different and they pick on them. It's not pleasant or fun but it resolves itself as everyone gets older.

Now, about the term persecution -- might wanna revisit that term and remember what it really means. People who've been persecuted for their beliefs, that's not you, sorry. You're being way over the top dramatic about this, but that's another behavior I fully expect from people in Junior High (and if you call it Middle School it's all the same, I am talking about 6th to 9th graders, and you fall smack dab in the middle of all that).

But who are some people who were really persecuted for their beliefs, or perhaps even died for them? Here's a whole raft of persecutions.

Those too remote and impersonal for you? Then how about some recent historical figures persecuted/killed for what they believed in or for doing what they believed was right? How 'bout these folks?

You may not agree with this list or what some or most of these people were doing but the bottom line is they paid the ultimate price for what they did in life. You were called a name by a classmate. Your remedy is to go to your teacher or the principal and complain. Your issues aren't even on the same planet as these folks.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:20 am
You deserved it, and quit your whining, ya Jesus Freak!

(I am kidding - I suspect that the obese and the blatantly religious are two of the last remaining acceptable targets of public ridicule)

Welcome to A2K, bretter.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 05:28 am
Don't forget bald men, snood. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:29 pm
And smokers, musicians, painters. I have it bad, since I am all three of those. Lucky for me I am not fat or religious. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:34 pm
I didn't know you are a painter, Cyracuz...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:35 pm
It's more of a hobby really. But I have been told that I have some talent.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:40 am
Re: persecution of christians
bretter wrote:
i knew out in the world that christians were put to death just due to their belief in jesus. i never knew that i would also be subject to this persection. although it was not as bad as other christians that are tortured the effects did not phisically hurt me but drained some of my confidence. today after i was finished with a math test i was drawing three crosses representing the trinity when a girl i had been tring to help yelled out. what is the matter with you? you ar such a Jesus Freak. i knew that i was a Jesus freak but to be called one in such a crude and humilitating manner was a disgrace. i had never felt so rejected for my belief as i did in 7th grade math class.

Count it as a blessing. What is this tiny bit of persecution compared to what the Lord went through? He committed no sin. He surely didn't deserve what happened to Him. So, as I have come to learn in the recent past, it matters not what people think of you, what they say to you, etc., it only matters how you stand with the Lord.

Oh, and as for me, I would have told her probably as loud as I could have, "Yes! I am a Jesus freak and thankful to God for it!"
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
Why do musicians and painters get persecuted?
I am all two of those!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:04 am
They don't, pentacle. But they get frowned upon, at least until they've achieved success, which was basically what the thread starter meant by "persecution".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Why do musicians and painters get persecuted?
I am all two of those!

Can't speak about painters but I can speak about musicians. I'm married to one. It's that "artistic moodiness" I think that causes it. Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 01:04 pm
snood wrote:
You deserved it, and quit your whining, ya Jesus Freak!

(I am kidding - I suspect that the obese and the blatantly religious are two of the last remaining acceptable targets of public ridicule)

Welcome to A2K, bretter.

Public ridicule, maybe. But, jr high ridicule has a very long list of acceptable targets.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 01:10 pm
I find this thread to be a poignant disappointment. I've not been able to persecute a solitary theist of any description, never mind just the christians. I say it's false advertising.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:20 pm
really?
you really mean that musicians and artists are frowned upon?
So if i become a professor in music I will be frowned upon?
I had no idea. I don't wanna be frowned upon. I want to be a musician Sad
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:35 pm
Re: persecution of christians
bretter wrote:

"In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing." -Philippians 2:14

"Don't grumble about each other, my brothers and sisters, or God will judge you..." -James 5:9
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:00 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
really?
you really mean that musicians and artists are frowned upon?
So if i become a professor in music I will be frowned upon?
I had no idea. I don't wanna be frowned upon. I want to be a musician Sad

Girl, if your dream is to be a musician then be one! I do find that most musicians that I know, do have a higher degree of moodiness. But it's nothing they should be persecuted for! I was attempting to make a small joke and I apologize if it caused you discomfort.

I can tell you one thing, if you are going to be a musician and make a career out of it, you will need to develop a very thick skin. It's a cut-throat business.
0 Replies