0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 09:16 am
...and a bump
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 09:23 am
@ossobuco,
You've not been here for a bit, I was talking about those who were there at the time. Of course I didn't mean you, I think you're lovely. It's just the far right idiots who come on here to make trouble I've got a problem with.

Sorry if you were upset.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
Not upset. I know you know me. I know that when a little riled you sometimes forget the word "some". You also know I can be a dummy about the U.K., much as I try to pay attention. Also a dummy about the contemporary Irish Republic, though that is my heritage; I'm trying to read one of their newspapers at least once a week, but I figure like most newspapers it's got biases.

Also, while I generally read up re all of this thread and do sometimes post, I'm more the reader-listener on this one.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 10:06 am
@ossobuco,
Anglo Irish relations couldn't be better, something that annoys a lot of Irish Americans. Some put our good relations down to the peace process, but others put it down to the very vocal support the FA and fans gave to the Irish team after this happened.

McTag

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 04:27 pm

There was a good letter in the paper today:

How do we celebrate Magna Carta in June? By getting rid of the Human Rights Act. How do we celebrate the Jacobite rebellion of 1715? By behaving as though England is top nation. How do we celebrate Waterloo 1815? By a referendum on whether to leave the EU.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 04:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Like the italian immigrants, irish immigrants also moved around.
Me, I think of SF Bay area italians as way different than those in New Jersey.
Don't trust me, of course. I'm no sociologist (shoulda thought of that).

My family is mixed irish am - from my mother's side, all Boston, even the ones who moved to LA in the early 1900's; on my father's side, looks like from NY entry to a variety of places as a lawyer, including Idaho (silver?) and California (hop farm?), and eventually me. Both sides from Mayo.

Anyway, a lot of that stuff came from the east, far as I discern. (no data)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 06:05 pm
Some very honest reporting from the BBC. Norman Smith can join the ranks of Andrew Mar and James Naughtie.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 09:33 pm
@McTag,
If you are Catholic and believe the Magna Carta to be a guarantee of some of your basic rights, then you are excommunicated . The Pope at the time imposed a blanket excommunication on anyone "following" the Magna Carta and as is typical of many stupid Papal Bulls and Proclamations, it has never been lifted but was simply later ignored . Nevertheless, my research has been unable to find any evidence of the excommunication being lifted .

Incidentally, Britain's present to the Commonwealth of Australia on its founding was one of the Magna Carta copies made and signed at the time of its proclamation as law .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 10:59 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Nevertheless, my research has been unable to find any evidence of the excommunication being lifted .
Both issues of 1216 and 1217 got papal approval.
Ionus

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 11:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes because they were watered down versions that reaffirmed the Papal authority and the God given (through the Pope of course) right to rule by the King . That hardly changes anything done in accordance with the first Great Charter, especially as the 1216 and 1217 versions were bitterly resisted . Half the country was in the hands of the rebels and the excommunication still stood, as it does today .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 May, 2015 11:25 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
the excommunication still stood, as it does today .
Well, I've just a limited knowledge of the canon law. You might be more educated about it.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 12:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Well, I've just a limited knowledge of the canon law. You might be more educated about it.

Exactly. And we might all be better looking too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 03:57 pm
Quote:
Sadio Mane scored the fastest hat-trick in Premier League history as Southampton demolished Aston Villa to keep their Europa League hopes alive.

Mane's three goals came in two minutes and 56 seconds with Saints 3-0 up inside 16 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32670819

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03306/SadioMane_3306779b.jpg

http://e2.365dm.com/15/05/768x432/sadio-mane-hat-tricks-robbie-fowler-southampton_3304100.jpg?20150516144014
Kolyo

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
keep their Europa League hopes alive.

You're welcome. Will it be teams 5 and 6 that make it? I find the rules about who qualifies a bit confusing.

Liverpool still control their own fate, as we say in American sports.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 12:38 am
@Kolyo,
Teams 5 and 6 make it, and so will team 7 is Arsenal beat Aston Villa in the FA cup.

Basically, top 4 Champions League, number 5 and winners of League and FA cups Europa competition.

Chelsea won the League Cup meaning that Europa spot goes to number 6 in the Premiership, and the same will happen if Arsenal win.

If Aston Villa win they get the Europa place.

Clear as mud.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 12:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Chelsea won the League Cup meaning that Europa spot goes to number 6 in the Premiership, and the same will happen if Arsenal win.
Only few countries have secondary cup competitions. And the only countries which currently grant a UEFA Europa League place to their secondary cup winners are England and France. (I even don't know, if we still have the League Cup here in Germany.)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There have been some complaints about the amount of fixtures top English clubs have to play. The Europa cup can be a curse, take Everton for example, they finished 5th last season with 72 points, this season they're tenth with 47 points and the most they can possibly get is 50. A lot of people blame the extra Europa fixtures for the drop in domestic performance.
0 Replies