THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 03:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Which just goes to show you can't believe anything you read in the Murdoch press.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,

We've got our haggis in, all ready for Sunday.
There will be four of us to dine.
Maybe I'll play some Scottish airs on the fiddle.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:07 am
bum
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:07 am
bump
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:46 am
@McTag,
I'll always remember my first real haggis, which I had had in Aviemore, and which was served to pipe music, played by a Black Watch Pipe Major (ret.).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 09:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My first haggis was from the chip shop covered in batter.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 01:44 pm
@izzythepush,

My favourite kind of chip shop.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 01:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
played by a Black Watch Pipe Major

Ah, the old forty-second regiment of foot.

Wha' saw the forty-second?
Wha' saw them gang awa'?
Wha' saw the forty-second
Marchin' doon the Broomielaw?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 02:32 pm
@McTag,
In the early 60's, at local festivities in my native town (fun fair and "Schützenfest") we regularly had pipes and drums of the Black Watch there ... well, the The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada Band.

Couldn't find a photo of them from those days, only one of their barracks (in Werl)

http://i57.tinypic.com/sg5mhl.jpg

(The "real" black watch were stationed there, too: from 1980 until 1985. And from 1985 - 1991, the 1st Btl of the Royal Scots was stationed there - the British changed the name to Albuhera Barracks, when they got the two forts there from the Canadians in 1971. )
McTag

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 08:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Thanks Walter.

Quite recently the stage play "The Black Watch" has had great success internationally, including in the USA, and an amazing experience it is. Standing ovations were quite common at all performances. We certainly gave one on the night I was there.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2015 08:51 am
@McTag,
That reminds me.

Quote:
He (David Niven) did well at Sandhurst, which gave him the "officer and gentleman" bearing that was to be his trademark. He requested assignment to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders or the Black Watch, then jokingly wrote on the form, as his third choice, "anything but the Highland Light Infantry" (because the HLI wore tartan trews rather than kilts). He was assigned to the HLI, and his comment was known in the regiment. Thus Niven did not enjoy his time in the army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Niven
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 05:32 am
Anyone see the match last night? Well done Cambridge for holding Manchester United to a draw and winning a replay at Old Trafford. Apparently it's worth £1.5 million to the club, a year's revenue.

No Sporting event comes close to the FA Cup for romance and excitement.
McTag

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 09:09 am
@izzythepush,

Well done, the brainboxes. Got the result on Football Focus today: what a laff. Apparently they deserved it too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 11:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
No Sporting event comes close to the FA Cup for romance and excitement.

McTag wrote:
Well done, ... Apparently they deserved it too.

You'll know today's result already. Or read it in the paper tomorrow ...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2015 12:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Results, ours is tucked away nicely behind Man City and Chelsea being knocked out by lower league opposition.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 11:49 am
@izzythepush,
Ain't it the truth. You did hear about the Kerfluffle about the place setting cards at the press breakfast before the State of the Union?

NBC News
ABC News
CBS News
al Jazeera News
Fox

Fox was forced to treat it in a joking mode.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 12:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That slipped me by, but Sky News tries very hard to claim it's not like Fox. It's not, but only because broadcasting laws would make it illegal to be like Fox. It does try though.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:25 pm
Hello, how is everyone?
I haven't been on here for ages?

I have a new thread going on that I thought some of you might be able to give some expert advice on?

http://able2know.org/topic/265492-1
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 11:37 am
Newcastle Brown Ale to undergo recipe change following US fears of colouring ingredient
Quote:
Stateside concerns over carcinogenic food colouring has driven Newcastle Brown Ale to change its recipe.

The chemical that gives the beer its signature brown colour will be scrapped, according to a statement from Dutch drinks giant Heineken.

The European Food Safety Authority has twice ruled that the caramel-colouring ingredient is safe, and the US food and Drug Administration agrees, but US consumer groups have applied to pressure and forced a change.
... ... ...
McTag

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 12:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Heathens. Iconoclasts. May they rot in hell.