THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:03 am
@farmerman,
And Hegel said as well "When women are in charge of the government, the state is danger, for their actions are based not on the demands of universality but on contingent inclination and opinion" (Grundlinien der Philosophie des Rechts, oder Naturrecht und Staatswissenschaft im Grundrisse, Berlin, 1833, § 166 page 231) Wink
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Flip yer flapjack, its done on one side.

Jesus, who taught you to cook? Why would anyone consider flipping a flapjack?

Quote:
150g butter, plus extra for greasing.
50g golden caster sugar.
4 tbsp golden syrup.
275g rolled oats.

METHOD

How to make classic buttery flapjacks

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease and line a shallow 20cm-square tin with baking paper.

2. Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a small pan over a low heat and stir until the butter has melted. Stir in the oats. Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until just golden at the edges.

3. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Cut into bars in the tin. Cool completely before turning out and cutting again with a sharp knife.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/baking/biscuits/classic-buttery-flapjacks-recipe
roger

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:39 am
@izzythepush,
Only in England would a flapjack involve an oven.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:41 am
@roger,
Only in America would a teacher take a gun to school.
roger

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:42 am
@izzythepush,
Only in the cities where kids don't have a chance to learn at home.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 03:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The big difference between the Catholic Church and ARgentina (and the US for that fact), the CAtholic Church is still failing to address its problems from the-top-down.

Really? Guantanamo Bay is still open for business. There was an American lead coup d'etat in Honduras in 2009, and drone strikes have killed hundreds of civilians.

Quote:
According to the Pakistani authorities, 60 cross-border predator strikes in the period from January 2006 to April 2009 killed 14 wanted al-Qaeda leaders and 687 Pakistani civilians. In a 2009 opinion article, Daniel L. Byman of the Brookings Institution wrote that drone strikes may have killed "10 or so civilians" for every "mid- and high-ranking [al Qaeda and Taliban] leader."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_attacks_in_Pakistan
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 05:21 am
@izzythepush,
know deep inside that priests shouldnt be diddling young children. That is sort of a universal imperative.
US "foreign policy" and defense postures , while they leave a bad taste, are not one of the seven deadly sins (That is the job for history)

Guantanamo is a remnant of a foreign policy item that was conceived to isolate One state. I predict that it will see sunset in another 10 years and not before, When Raul and Fidel are both statues in some park.

Drones and their usage is an issue that, if pursued with the zeal that Mr Paul introduced, could bring downb a president if hes not wise. Mr Obama is suffering projected damage from the Pakistani flights and the proposed extension of their usage on citizen/terrorists.

This could be Obamas "second term big trouble" because a majority of the country doesnt like it. SHredding the Constitution is often forwarded .

SO we arent "failing to address"--we as a nation are consumed by these above items.

The CAtholic Church continuously wishes to "bury" any references of widespread misconduct in its clergy. They want this "behind them" because its an embarrassment and a financial burden. DO I think for a moment that Francis the Pope is really going to address this in a more than superficial fashion?? I still dont see any flying pigs
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 06:05 am
@farmerman,
Whatever you say about being diddled by a priest,fm, I would prefer it to being diddled by a drone strike. Claims about the traumatic effect of the former, and the number of them, might be exaggerated for various reasons just as being emotionally sympathetic to the claims might be exaggerated to push a tawdry boat out.

Is anything being done about bankers who have pushed millions into poverty. Your interest in erring priests is starting to look suspicious. The cops here are investigating hundreds of claims about child sex abuse and the only priest who has been in the news all the while was accused of inappropriate behaviour towards another priest which you, as a liberal, can hardly condemn.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 06:37 am
@farmerman,
No mention of the coup in Honduras I see.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 07:06 am
@farmerman,
Presenting facts is fighting?

I'll keep that in mind.
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
Not only that izzy but failing to mention that the Church condemns unreservedly erring priests and has compensated victims when the case has been proved and is doing something about the problem whilst the drone strikes are killing people without due process, and many other innocents, are official policy enthusiastically engaged in, and there is no compensation for any victims.

What was the thinking behind Mr Obarmy's promise to close Gitmo before he was elected? It must have been because as a candidate he viewed Gitmo as wrong, or evil, or immoral and once elected it morphed into right, good and moral.

fm's comparison is ridiculous and is entirely in the service of discrediting the Church for personal reasons which we can only guess at.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 07:38 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Claims about the traumatic effect of the former, and the number of them, might be exaggerated for various reasons just as being emotionally sympathetic to the claims might be exaggerated to push a tawdry boat out.
Im sure that the Catholic Church would wish this were true also.'Getting this behind them" is seemingly more important than doing what is right.

Quote:

Is anything being done about bankers who have pushed millions into poverty.
Bankers dont speak from divinely underpinned moral high grounds. They teach greed and avarice. Is your point one of "either or"? you are arguing like "Reasoning Logic" now.
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 07:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Bankers dont speak from divinely underpinned moral high grounds.

They do. The "hidden hand". "Laissez-faire". "Natural selection". "caveat emptor". "Red in tooth and claw". "Mammon".

And I have explained to you, more than once, that "moral high grounds" are in the service of practical aims which pre-date the means. They are a tool with which to ensure the practical aims are met. They use "sin" rather than "error".

Quote:
you are arguing like "Reasoning Logic" now.

That is a fatuous assertion which speaks loudly of your desperation and of a self-regard of monumental proportions.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 08:00 am
@spendius,
Quote:

Not only that izzy but failing to mention that the Church condemns unreservedly erring priests and has compensated victims when the case has been proved and is doing something about the problem whilst the drone strikes are killing people without due process, and many other innocents, are official policy enthusiastically engaged in, and there is no compensation for any victims.

The church is only quietly "condemning erring ppriests". There seems to be a "stelth program of transferring priests before found out" and "Bishops silently reshuffling staffers who had been known pervs" .
Also, in the US, theres been a quiet campaign to keep these child molestation cases out of the hands of law and order authorities. WHY is that I wonder.

Now, as far as Mr Obama and closing Gitmo and proposing the use of drones, WHY ARE YOU APPLYING THE "EITHER OR " Principle?
Both are problems that have the US public drawing up sides and , both sides of the aisle are demanding answers . SO your attempts to try to create a "two sides of a coin" argument are just stupid spendi.

One is a 20 year old series of investigations of a major religious institution showing us that they seem to be controlled by their own SATAN. They are attempting to keep the scandals bottled up and only admit to them even happening whenever some victims come froward.

The other is a government that we elected based upon promises. If the promises are not kept, we have opportunities to "Unelect them". As far as drones on US citizens, this will wind up in the Supreme court.

ANYWAY, many of you idiots seem to celebrate the centuries of staid consistent religious leadership where these ignored scandals and improprieties arise from a 1000 year old celibacy law initiated by the church itself only so that it can keep all acquired properties of its clergy, upon their deaths.

YET, you seem to insist that all governmental improprieties be handled immediately lest it reveal some moral shortcoming of our system. How long did it take us to assure civil rights? We have opportunities to "hang out our political wash" at least every two years, 4 years and 6 years . I think thats great (despite how silly and petulant we appear to the international press).

AND, it seems like, officially, the UK supports our silly walks.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 08:07 am
@spendius,
Quote:
And I have explained to you, more than once, that "moral high grounds" are in the service of practical aims

I have all 6 volumes of the Origin and several variora and have yet to see what you claim. Your a lying bugger when you quote Darwin

Also, show me in the "Wealth of NAtions"

In fact, it was Smith who coined the term which a few centuries later was paraphrased and shortened by Gilbert Gecko when he said "Greed

is Good"

issuing these "spendi presumptions" riddles your posts whether you know what the **** of what you speak or not. As I said back in the mid 2000's'Spendi speaks half good stuff and half crap" Our job is to discern which is which
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
sorry to have missed you post. WHat was the point? I was addressing the mere fact that we dont learn from history while yours is a post showing that Hegel was wrong about women yes?

Is your point directed at Ms Thatcher or Ms Kirchner?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 08:15 am
@ehBeth,
Inoring you because you failed to focus in the sorce of thos diversionary points. IZZY initiated it not me.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 08:49 am
@farmerman,
What you've demonstrated is a typically American approach to democracy, in that a vote only counts if it helps big business. That's why you ignore the Falkland Islander's vote, and why the votes for Allende and Chavez both resulted in coup attempts, fortunately unsuccessful in the case of Chavez.

In discussing Guantanamo Bay, you seem to think everything is fine as long as it's directed at one state, a state that had the temerity to throw out a bunch of gangsters. All the time you ignore the huge torture camp where people are held without trial indefinitely.

You ignore Honduras, and look upon the deaths on Pakistani civilians as a minor foreign policy hitch. Basically your morality seems dictated by your own prejudices, as opposed to any desire to see the right thing being done.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 09:17 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Not only that izzy but failing to mention that the Church condemns unreservedly erring priests and has compensated victims when the case has been proved and is doing something about the problem

Unlike elite American sports.

Quote:
Two high school football players from a team that was the pride of the small former steel-producing town of Steubenville, Ohio, were convicted Sunday of raping a 16-year-old girl at a party.

Former school quarterback Trent Mays, 17, and team-mate Ma'lik Richmond, 16, broke down in tears in the juvenile court after being found guilty in a case that bitterly divided the declining Rust Belt city and had led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community's revered athletes. Both were ordered to serve at least a year behind bars, with Mays given an additional 12 months for distributing an image of a nude minor.

Richmond broke into sobs as he approached the victim's family after the verdict, and was heard to tell them: "I'm sorry for the trouble I have caused you."

Mays also burst into tears and mumbled apologies but did not go over to

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/17/steubenville-football-players-guilty-rape?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 10:07 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I have all 6 volumes of the Origin and several variora and have yet to see what you claim. Your a lying bugger when you quote Darwin

I didn't quote Darwin fm. What are you talking about? If I do quote Darwin I make sure I quote him correctly. "Natural selection" has gone into the language. So have the other terms I employed.

What presumptions are you referring to? Asserting that I have presumptions without the slightest sign of any evidence, is not only unscientific but it renders the conclusion you draw from the assertion a fatuity. A non sequitur.

If there are no presumptions my posts can't be riddled with them. And if they are riddled with them a few examples should be easy enough for you to provide.