THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 04:47 am
@margo,

The Pope must keep himself in good nick, stay fit for the job in hand, and look good on TV, of course.
And be adequately insured.

It's all falling into place.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 08:42 am
@McTag,
Interesting end to the Vicky Pryce trial don't you think Mac?

It seemed obvious to me from the questions the jury had asked the judge that there were at least three jurors who take the position I do which is that I would never convict a wife of taking her husband's speeding points when the alternative was him being banned from driving. No matter what the evidence. I think she should be commended for her loyalty. I think most wives would do the same in the same circumstances.

They made the mistake of charging her with too serious an offence. I see her actions in another light altogether from those fiddling MP's expenses and what some bankers have done. And most of those have not been charged with anything.

Wives are not charged with spending a bank robber's loot. Even the Roman Senate allowed Nero's squeeze to retire to a nice villa on the coast after he had been sentenced to death. (He committed suicide to avoid the mode of execution the Senate determined.)
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 08:55 am
@ossobuco,
A woman did once manage, by some subterfuges, to become Pope. I don't know the details but she caused so much trouble that the ceremony of the members of the conclave examining their chosen one's private parts was introduced as a last test of his fitness.

Whether the ceremony has fallen into disuse these days I'm not sure. Probably it has. But there is no chance of a woman ever becoming Pope.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 09:04 am
Spendius wrote:
A woman did once manage, by some subterfuges, to become Pope. I don't know the details

Details here: Pope Joan
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 09:22 am
@timur,
Thanks.

Quote:
Some versions of the legend suggest that subsequent popes were subjected to an examination whereby, having sat on a dung chair containing a hole called sedia stercoraria, a cardinal had to reach up and establish that the new pope had testicles, before announcing "Duos habet et bene pendentes" ("He has two, and they dangle nicely"),[or "habet" ("he has 'em") for short.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 12:12 pm
@spendius,

Quote:
there were at least three jurors who take the position I do which is that I would never convict a wife of taking her husband's speeding points when the alternative was him being banned from driving.

Deep. However since she herself blew the whistle, about eight years after the event, because he'd gone off with his fancy woman, you'd have thought this would cast a different complexion over the case.

She's guilty.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 12:17 pm
@McTag,
It's obvious the jury was split down the middle, between those who think she's very much the dominated, wronged woman, and the others who think she knows her own mind and nobody can tell her to do anything she doesn't want to. I'm of the latter camp.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 12:34 pm
@McTag,
The jury would view the event in the light of her position at the time it occurred and not with any hindsight. I presume. I do. She is not guilty yet.

What about the bank robber's wives?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 02:31 pm
@spendius,
Just seen Channel 4 News. I take everything back, the jury couldn't reach a verdict because they were as thick as ****.
McTag

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 04:52 pm
@izzythepush,

Eight women, four men. I'd better say no more.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 05:36 pm
@McTag,
The judge pointed out how thick they were, in 35 years of judging he'd never had to answer so many ridiculous questions, or something like that.
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 05:49 pm
@izzythepush,
What about her wedding vow to obey?

Hey--did you see the news strip going across the bottom of Sky News tonight.

It said that David Cameron expressed regret for hundreds of Indians being killed by British troops on the third day of his visit.

It must be due to the higher grades London schools are getting in the exams.
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:00 pm
@izzythepush,
The judge must be one of those who think we should dispense with juries.

The questions I saw were not in the least ridiculous.

The verdict sure has got the feminists in a tizzy. And all their lickspittals and lackeys such as Newsnight.

She should never have been prosecuted. Those who prosecuted her should be charged with wasting public money and given 200 hours community service painting school railings and picking up litter. They think they can line up big fees for their mates in the Inns do they?
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:04 pm
@spendius,
And now it looks like they stubbornly refuse to accept a jury's verdict. It might have been 9 to 3 in favour of acquittal.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 02:20 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What about her wedding vow to obey?

It means **** all in terms of the law. How do you know she vowed that anyway? A lot don't.
McTag

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 03:10 am
@spendius,

Quote:
David Cameron expressed regret for hundreds of Indians being killed by British troops on the third day of his visit.

Bad timing, that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 04:46 am
@izzythepush,
Don't forget izzy that the jury were deliberating a long time. And quite long enough for any disputes about the evidence to have been set aside and the failure to agree must mean that at least 3 and maybe 9 took a determined stand on the principle I have mentioned. As I would have done.

It's an example of the feminist drivel unwinding. The judge should add her sentence onto Huhne's.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 06:27 am
@spendius,
The thing is, and this is all subjudice, that in order to find her innocent you have to believe that she was dominated by Huhne. If you listen to the phone transcripts it's clear that's not the case. In fact I think the opposite is true.

Their son is about to start Uni labelled as a mummy's boy. Not the sort of image one would wish to cultivate.
spendius

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:05 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The thing is, and this is all subjudice, that in order to find her innocent you have to believe that she was dominated by Huhne.

No you don't. There's a matter of principle involved. On both sides.

Quote:
Their son is about to start Uni labelled as a mummy's boy. Not the sort of image one would wish to cultivate.

There will be plenty more there to keep him company.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:52 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Me wrote:
The thing is, and this is all subjudice, that in order to find her innocent you have to believe that she was dominated by Huhne.

No you don't. There's a matter of principle involved. On both sides.

Not at all, it's not about principles, it's about the law.