THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:38 pm
@McTag,
Yes she should. Of course.

It isn't her fault for being a complete idiot. She is where she is and blaming her for being a complete idiot is as daft as blaming a duck for quacking. And if where she is needs help then that is what the NHS is for.

Have you any idea Mac of what refusing NHS treatment on the basis of past idiocy actually entails. Take injuries caused by taking a chain saw to a tree, for example, in order to enhance the aesthetic effect of the grounds. Should they be treated at our expense?
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:49 pm
@spendius,
It might be reasonable to require those who turned her into a complete idiot to reimburse their salaries. That might cure the financial deficit.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 02:21 am
@spendius,
I'm with Spendi on this one. Also I'd like to challenge Tag's focus on implants for purely cosmetic reasons. My wife died from breast cancer, and following a mastectomy, would have had cosmetic surgery had the cancer not come back. There's a lot of women who feel very self-conscious because of mis-shapen breasts, differing sizes etc. So it's not just a bunch of vain tarts going through the procedure.

These implants are faulty, and it's not the fault of the patient. What about making the private clinics pay? Why were these products licensed in the first place? There's a lot of professional liability knocking about, no matter which way you look at it.
McTag

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 08:51 am
@izzythepush,

Steady on, chaps, I didn't ask you. Strangely it was the female members of this family who advanced the notion that the NHS should not be the first underwriter for this tragedy, as tragedy it is turning out to be.

Spendy makes a good point; victims of sports injuries and mountaineering accidents, i.e voluntary dangerous pursuits, are looked after at the public expense, at least in this country. But this is different imho. Clinics which persuade a woman that her life will be enhanced if they can work on her tits should not be guiltless here, and their insurers should be picking up the tab in most cases.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 08:59 am

It seems to me the Met Police have shot themselves in the foot again by reopening the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry and doing a thorough job this time.

Good that these two slugs have been sent down, but it's brought into the spotlight again the fact that the police failed in their duty the first time in a major way. Three other suspects, the probable actual ringleaders it seems, are still free and the Police are reduced to asking for informants to come forward, even now.
Shame they didn't act on the information they had at the time.

Maybe introducing a new law, Guilt By Association, would offer a way forward now?
I see the head bobby now is Cressida Dick, who was the commander who sent her shooters to murder Jean Charles de Menezes on the tube.
McTag

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 09:07 am
@izzythepush,

Quote:
Clinics which persuade a woman that her life will be enhanced if they can work on her tits should not be guiltless here, and their insurers should be picking up the tab in most cases.

And of course, as I forgot to mention in the foregoing, this does not include women who have had (probably through the NHS in any event) reconstructive surgery following mastectomy or for other clinical reason. I would imagine (though I have no data on this) that these cases would be a small proportion of the total, and would probably not involve the use of defective materials anyway.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:15 am
@McTag,

Quote:
It seems to me the Met Police have shot themselves in the foot again by reopening the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry and doing a thorough job this time.

Good that these two slugs have been sent down, but it's brought into the spotlight again the fact that the police failed in their duty the first time in a major way. Three other suspects, the probable actual ringleaders it seems, are still free and the Police are reduced to asking for informants to come forward, even now.

Still plenty of this in The Guardian. The judge's closing remarks were not well received by some senior police...they were doubtless hoping for more pats on the back, for this operation and its successful conclusion.

"The judge called the senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Clive Driscoll, into the witness box to tell him the Met had been rightly shamed and humbled by the Macpherson report and the failure of their investigation.

He acknowledged the Met's hard work and professionalism in recent times, but made clear that what had been achieved was "a measure of justice", and he now expected the other suspects – Luke Knight and the brothers Neil and Jamie Acourt – to be investigated again. There has been mention of a fourth suspect, but he has never been identified by police.

"The convictions of Gary Dobson and David Norris will not hopefully close the file on this matter," Treacy said. "On the evidence before the court, there are still three or four other killers of Stephen Lawrence at large.

"Just as advances in science have brought two people to justice, I hope the Metropolitan police will be alert to future lines of inquiry not only based on advances in science but perhaps also from information from those who have been silent so far, whoever they might be."

Publicly, the Met said nothing. But privately, senior officers, who believe the police team and the scientists involved deserved unqualified praise from the judge for their successful investigation, were angry that instead, in their view, he had sought to reopen old wounds."
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 07:55 am
@McTag,
Quote:
he had sought to reopen old wounds.

Re-opening old wounds is a very important plank in the foundations of the legal profession. And it entertains the public that these pots are on the boil.

Meanwhile BOMB IN IRAQ. NOT MANY DEAD.
McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 06:33 am
@spendius,

Spendy, you're not trying hard enough.

And Smorgs, probably with her nose in her Kindle. She's so unreliable, that woman.

My pal Mallu knows Amir Khan's family, from Bolton. Not happy that Amir was diddled out of his world title in where was it, Pennsylvania? Diabolical liberty.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 07:36 am
@McTag,
You don't want me trying hard Mac.

I don't know what "Kindle" means.

And I can live with home-town refereeing. They should fight until somebody can't get up. Take the ref out of the equation. Refs are Christian inventions. There's no fair play in evolution. It's red in tooth and claw.

I take feminine unreliability like I take the weather.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 09:01 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I don't know what "Kindle" means.

LMGTFY:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader-eBook-Reader-e-Reader-Special-Offers/dp/B0051QVESA
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 10:01 am
@Ticomaya,
I read books Tico.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 04:55 pm
@spendius,

Quote:
You don't want me trying hard Mac.

I see the BBC and other meeja are is catching up with the Thread tonight, discussing on the nighttime news who should pay for taking out unsafe breast implants.
The German government is taking a more cooperative line than our Tories.

ITV did a piece on the French owner of the PIP company who supplied the cheap implants. Apparently he was a pork butcher with no medical qualifications.
spendius

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 06:35 pm
@McTag,
I heard on the News that somebody has been accused of putting financial profit above considerations of public safety.

That's disgraceful don't you think Mac?
McTag

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 10:00 am
@spendius,

Spendy, trying to pull my plonker doesn't always work.

Apparently these dodgy inserts had some kind of authentication or certification, and so the government might be involved deeper than they would like to be at this stage.

Taking up your point about financial profit above considerations of public safety, our NHS bigwig said on Newsnight that these private clinics had a "moral responsibility" to sort this out, which would have made a cat laugh.
spendius

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 11:52 am
@McTag,
Or even a Komodo dragon.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 12:53 pm
@spendius,
According to Amir Khan's camp reported today, the board of control who were supposed to be overseeing the world championship bout he lost are going to announce a no-contest, and require a rematch.

Seems unlikely.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:43 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Taking up your point about financial profit above considerations of public safety, our NHS bigwig said on Newsnight that these private clinics had a "moral responsibility" to sort this out, which would have made a cat laugh.

That's Cameron all over, it's handwringing instead of legislation, he took the same approach to executive pay.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 05:33 pm

Hey did anyone else see "Borgen", the new Danish drama series on BBC4?

It's very promising.

I missed "The Killing", must get the box set, I hear it's great.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 12:46 pm

I usually don't read my paper until the evening. Here's today's cartoon.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/1/10/1326154779597/Steve-Bell-cartoon-004.jpg
0 Replies