THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 11:56 am
@Ticomaya,
How can I be wrong? I was asking a question.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 04:13 pm
Notice how Tico derailed the subject of the Leveson enquiry and associated topics. Perhaps he is not keen to see the Media and the legal profession discussed in any detail or how wire-tapping equipment has become available in the shops at prices most people can afford.

Or possible he wants the BT2 to dribble away in a desert of smalltalk.
McTag

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 04:52 pm
@spendius,

I would be surprised if many Americans had even heard of the Leveson Inquiry, far less had any interest in it.

But it fascinates us here. I'm surprised by the feigned surprise...that our journalists and their editors employed underhand and illegal tactics in pursuit of their storylines. Journalists have always done that, and have always paid the Police and others to feed them leads. It's hypocrisy for News International defendants to pretend otherwise.

What do our American contributors think about the latest concordat of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil to tighten a stranglehold on the Falkland Islands? Since we have begun oil prospecting there, the Argies have got even more upset, and they've got SA allies now to make life on the Islands less tenable, denying access to eastern ports.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 05:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I think you are a well-heeled dude.

Wrong. Again.

Quote:
And I think you are snooty.

I didn't say that you were wrong for thinking I was snooty. Nor did I say that I wasn't snooty. You said I was snooty with anyone I couldn't patronize, and it was on that point that I said you were wrong.

Quote:
You said I had often been wrong.

No I didn't.

Quote:
You really ought to apologise to the viewers you took in.

We have viewers?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I don't think you are an authentic conservative as well.

Of course not ... I just play one on TV.

Shall we arm-wrestle to see which of us is the more "authentic" conservative?

Quote:
And I still think that--

Quote:
As I understood it, this had something to do with the way the original A2K hamsters coded the server which made long/big threads unwieldy, or some such techno reason that no longer is in effect with the modern A2K.

is nonsense. There are numerous threads a lot longer than BT1 was when it was locked.

As I recall, that was the explanation given to me (although using correct and proper terminology, I'm sure) when my Bush Supporter's Aftermath Thread was bifurcated.

Of course I could be wrong. Yet again.

Quote:
What does a weildy thread look like?

"I" before "e", my dear boy.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Notice how Tico derailed the subject of the Leveson enquiry and associated topics. Perhaps he is not keen to see the Media and the legal profession discussed in any detail or how wire-tapping equipment has become available in the shops at prices most people can afford.

What is a "Leveson enquiry"?

Quote:
Or possible he wants the BT2 to dribble away in a desert of smalltalk.

Not at all, I simply wanted to inject some Christmas spirit into this thread, and wish my friends across the pond a Merry Christmas.
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
Oh yeah!! In England we wish people a Merry Christmas, (is it alright to use that expression?--apologies if it isn't) by a long lingering kiss if we are wishing a Merry Christmas to a member of the opposite sex and a box of cigars and a bottle of brandy if it is a member of the same sex who we think we might exploit in some way.

Words are not worth a monkey wank. One merely needs to visit a greeting card shop to find out just how washed out and bleached all to **** words are.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 10:11 pm
@spendius,
Oh, by all means, feel free to exploit me and wish me a Merry Christmas by sending me a box of cigars!
georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 01:02 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

What do our American contributors think about the latest concordat of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil to tighten a stranglehold on the Falkland Islands? Since we have begun oil prospecting there, the Argies have got even more upset, and they've got SA allies now to make life on the Islands less tenable, denying access to eastern ports.

I suspect their real motives are economic ... it's about the oil. In addition chronically incompetent or wrong headed governments like those of Argentina, Venezuela, Equador, Bolivia and Cuba like to spit in the eyes of others, if for no other reason to distract attention from their own repeated failures. Nothing new here ... we see it all the time. I suspect Brazil & Uruguay are just going along with it. Any way you could retaliate?

Why is Spendi so unwilling to acccept a cheerful Christmas greeting at face value?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 01:29 am
@Ticomaya,
I hope that this "Festttagssortiment" ('holidays selection') from the GDR is fine, Tico

http://i44.tinypic.com/30wtgci.jpg

Thanks for your good wishes, have a nice, festive period, too!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 04:09 am
@georgeob1,

Quote:
I suspect Brazil & Uruguay are just going along with it. Any way you could retaliate?

The old British bulldog hasn't got any teeth left, I'm afraid.
We could stop them showing re-runs of Monty Python and The Benny Hill Show.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 04:11 am
@georgeob1,

Quote:
Why is Spendi so unwilling to acccept a cheerful Christmas greeting at face value?

Because he likes to work hard at being a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Actually he's too busy at this time working in the soup kitchen, and making Xmas parcels for orphans.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 04:31 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
I suspect Brazil & Uruguay are just going along with it. Any way you could retaliate?

Luis Suarez is under a bit of pressure right now.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 11:43 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

You could register the Falkland ships in the UK and put a British flag on them. That way a refusal of entry would have other consequences adverse to them. I suspect there are a few economic levers you could pull as well.

Argentina apears to be headed for another of its cyclical economic & political crises with accelerating inflation and increasing government efforts to mask or hide it. They often look for foreign boogeymen to distract attention from their own failings at times like these. Hard to know whether to ignore them or give them a smack in such cases.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all... Spendi too.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 12:50 pm
@georgeob1,

Quote:
Hard to know whether to ignore them or give them a smack in such cases.

We'll give them a smack then, and say the idea came from the US.

Have they got any battleships left?
georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 01:05 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Have they got any battleships left?

No. They had a large cruiser, but you guys sank it.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 05:10 pm
@georgeob1,

That's the one I meant.

A Merry Christmas to all non-Brit visitors to the Thread, and thank you for your good wishes.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 09:27 am
Merry Christmas everyone! X
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 09:10 pm
I think I see why the thread almost died Mr. Green
McTag

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 05:09 am
@margo,

Australian humour? I like Tim Minchin, by the way. He's a big hit here.

I hope you didn't get too much sand in your Xmas pud.
0 Replies