THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:09 pm

Anyone heard anything of Rebekah recently?
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 06:15 pm
@McTag,
No-- but did you hear what the CPS joker had written for the blonde speccy-four-eyes to read out. It had two "no balls" and a "what happened at the crease" in it.
McTag

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 08:44 am
@spendius,

Nothing beats "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey."
spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:41 am
@McTag,
Oh--I don't know Mac. We Brits have today been treated to the spectacle of Mr Murdoch Jnr. , whose recruitment to the post he occupies by a mysterious process has been subject to expert comment, wearing in the lapel of his $10,000 suit jacket as he "had difficulty in recalling" the answers the Select Committee sought from him in that strange hybrid accent he has, a poppy to commemorate our remembrance of the men and women of many nations who gave their lives to secure our freedoms, such as they are, and the Committee is probing him being in charge of tapping over 5,000 phones. Exactly what those lives were expended to avoid. Even Royal phones.

I think it is a gross insult to the remembrance of that great sacrifice to be seen wearing a poppy as a fashion accessory. What else could it be in these circumstances. One is getting the impression that if one doesn't sport a poppy, and I don't, that one is a ratfink traitor with all these drawing room heroes having grabbed--yes --grabbed--the moral high ground. A slow motion smash and grab raid on that remembrance.

And our idiotic Home Secretary has announced a ban on some Islamic hotheads having a demo outside the Albert Hall for fear that a bit of pushing and shoving would take place, necessitating some police overtime, seemingly oblivious of how such news will be spun in that crescent from the Atlantic to the Urals.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:44 am
@spendius,
The Today programme on Radio 4 had two retired senior officers making a similar point. They particularly highlighted the number of politicians wearing poppies a fortnight before they went on sale.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:52 am
@spendius,
I know you would prefer willie jokes but I'm of a more refined sensibility myself, so to speak, because when you think of all the **** willies get men into they are hardly a laughing matter.

I wonder what Sam Johnson would have said on seeing Theresa May at the Despatch Box announcing this ban.

Quote:
Johnson: "Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."
Dutchy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:35 pm
@spendius,
Changing the subject spendi, have you been watching the Cricket? If not, how is this for a headline to wake up to "South Africa need 151 runs to win as Australia score dismal 47 in second innings of first Test in Cape Town!"
spendius

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 04:00 pm
@Dutchy,
I didn't know it was on. Thanks for reminding me.

It must have been a treat watching the Aussies getting skittled out for 47.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:29 am

Okay we're now working on a new computer which is fast fast fast.
We have gone from the polar winter to verdant summer, in computing terms.
Like stout Cortez and his men, with wild surmise and eagle eyes, I stare at the Internet anew, silent upon a peak in Greater Manchester.

As it were.

I agree with Spendy about the poppy as fashion accessory. Nobody dares to appear on TV without one, apparently. It's a bit sick-making. Well said, sir.

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 08:34 am
@McTag,

James Murdoch got a rough ride yesterday. He was quite well-prepared and very well-briefed,and gave a reasonable account of his viewpoint (I wasn't there, I knew nothing, I have been misled and misinformed) but I think he was left in no doubt what the committee think of his organisation, and himself.
They already know what he, and Rebekah, think of them.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 11:26 am
@McTag,
He did portray himself as incompetant though, even he did not accept that title himself.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 05:05 pm
****! I find myself agreeing with spendius! About James Murdoch, that is. (i'm going to put my head down in a darkened room now - and wait for this to pass!)

Not about the cricket - that's a national disaster! Simon Katich, anyone!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 05:36 pm
@margo,
Who's talking about cricket? England just beat Spain 1-0.
spendius

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 05:58 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Okay we're now working on a new computer which is fast fast fast.

It's so fast Mac that when it picks your pocket you experience frissons of joy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Talking about football. Oman beat Socceroos 1-0 in World Cup qualifier!

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 06:14 pm
@Dutchy,
Oh man!!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm

I miss Smorgs' insightful and informative remarks from the coal face of employment facilitating.

What must it be like in the employment offices nowadays? Benefits disappearing along with jobs. Morale must be like on turkey farms in November. By now they must have removed all razors and sharp implements from the staff washrooms, and bumped up security, I'll be bound.
spendius

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 06:12 pm
@McTag,
I should have thought that Job Centres would be the first target for any cuts.

But I do realise that cutting them would increase unemployment, create another boarded-up shop on high streets and thus reduce council incomes and prevent staff of Job Centres puffing up clients attributes to pull the wool over employer's eyes in order to score another "success".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 01:23 pm
Does the motto in new coat of arms ...

http://i40.tinypic.com/2m4vn6w.jpg

of the Speaker mean that now every British citizen gets her/his coat of arms?
(The ladder obviously can be used to scramble up to the same heigh of those, who already are more equal, I suppose?)
McTag

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

It means that every British citizen who rises to become Speaker of the House of Commons can have his own coat of arms.

You will notice that that ladder is already pulled up, and the scimitar will take the fingers off any plebs unwise enough to try to grab hold of it.