THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You must be gutted then. Like most neutral Englishmen I despise the top clubs, particularly United Arsenal And Chelsea, so I was quite pleased United got a hammering, but I'm not that interested in who wins the Premiership, the Championship, now that's an entirely different matter. There's another top table clash next week, Saints v Middlesbrough.
McTag

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What a time for me to have chosen to be out of the country!

Still, I'll look forward to being able to rib my pals (dyed-in-the-wool Reds) when I get back.

Super Blues. Fergie will look even more like he was sucking a lemon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You must be gutted then.

Not really. I've got my favourite club(s) here in Germany, but watch English football mainly if nothing interesting happens here ... however, I'm more interested in the 2nd Bundesliga (where "my" club, Paderborn, is 5th).
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So it looks like you're in with a shot at promotion?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 02:47 pm
@izzythepush,
No, I don't think and hope so: they will be lost in the Bundesliga. (And don't have the finances to do so.)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 02:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wish there wasn't so much money sloshing about the top clubs, if there was a serious possibility Manchester United could get relegated it would be a lot more fun.
McTag

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 03:27 pm
@izzythepush,

Arsenal done good today. Is Wenger on the way back up? I can't get to watch MoTD yet because my wife is watching a recording of Downton Abbey.

Sad face here.
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:17 pm
@McTag,
It's normal Mac. Millions of blokes are in such a parlous state. Henpecked Prime-Ministers are to blame.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:45 pm
I suppose my new interest in football means I need to follow this thread.
Gaaaaah.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:43 am
@spendius,

Quote:
It's normal Mac. Millions of blokes are in such a parlous state. Henpecked Prime-Ministers are to blame.

Fair play, Spendi. Our ratio of TV-watching time is about ten to one in my favour.

And since we got our new recording gizmo, we can record three programmes at the same time.

Hey did you see the latest documentary about the codebreakers at Bletchley Park in the 1940s, Tutte and Flowers?
It was on last night, and had been on earlier in the week too, I think.
That was amazing, and the information was new to me. The Enigma machine was only the start of it. These men were giants.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 05:25 am
@McTag,
I'm really only bothered with the Championship, although my mate supports Chelsea. We thrashed Middlesbrough 3-0, and stay at the top. Happy face.
spendius

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:57 am
@izzythepush,
I've backed Chelsea to win the title at 6--1 so you can imagine how I feel after the last two weeks.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 08:18 am
@spendius,
A bit poorer?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:11 pm
@spendius,

For the Manchester derby, local bookies (who are generally Irish, and support United) were offering 250-1 odds for a 4-1 City score.

God knows what odds you could have got for a score of 6-1.

And that was the final score. 6-1
spendius

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 03:54 pm
@McTag,
I backed Chelsea because I think MU have no chance. I don't think their squad is strong enough for the winter slog.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 05:58 pm
@spendius,
I'm beginning to wish I'd placed a bet on Saints, I think they were 33-1 at the beginning of the Season, they're not that anymore.
spendius

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:03 pm
@izzythepush,
It's no use talking after the results are in izzy. Bookies won't entertain that sort of thing.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 02:57 am
@spendius,
I've only ever won once, on Durham Edition in the Grand National years ago, I had an each way, and it came second. I was tipped by a complete drunk down the pub, never seen him before or since.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:12 am

SIX-ONE

I wonder what happened to that insulting banner the Utd "support" used to hang out every home game at Old Trafford.
I've not seen it recently.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:44 am
@McTag,
Trafford's's Royal Voluntary Self Help Services and Trafford Black Out Anxiety Group had installed a helpline (0161616161), offering additionally property redecorations ...
0 Replies