THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:33 pm
@izzythepush,
WHORE--Woman having offerings readily employable.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 04:48 pm
@spendius,
I'm sorry, your post appeared at the top of the page, and I've been watching question time. At first I thought it was the acronym thread. Then I thought you'd gone mad, maybe the cry of whore was directed at me.

Just pleased to know you haven't gone all Sir Henry Rawlingson.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 03:54 am
@izzythepush,
Wharf-- Pl. wharfs wharves. [Late OE. hwearf, w(e)arf, corresp. to MLG. warf, werf mole, dam, wharf (whence Du. werf shipyard, G. werft wharf, shipyard.]

The Shorter Oxford.

That was a teleology you were told. Were you charged?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:07 am
@spendius,
You try going on a trip up the Thames without paying.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:22 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
My wife.

I haven't made a fuss about that to save the blushes of American males who are less the decisive, authoritative alpha type of all action macho he-man than George is.

I am convinced that the credit cruch was caused by the sheer marketing power of the hand that rocks the cradle and one glance at Mrs Obama is sufficient to conclude that Mr Obama is not the man to straighten it out. And two daughters as well.

An alarmingly high percentage of married men of my acquaintance with two daughters have had heart surgery before their 60th birthday.

The plight of the alpha plus ex-head of the IMF was, and still is, down to the machinations of the "monstrous regiment of women", and their lickspittles and lackeys in Media, baying for blood.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:38 am
@spendius,
From Wikipedia

Quote:
In the northeast and east of England the term staithe or staith (from the Norse for landing stage) is also used. For example Dunston Staiths in Gateshead and Brancaster Staithe in Norfolk. However, the term staithe may also be used to refer only to loading chutes or ramps used for bulk commodities like coal in loading ships and barges. It has been suggested that wharf actually is an acronym for ware-house at river front,but this is a backronym, spread around as a fact by tour guides on Thames river boats.

Thank you for pointing out my wide-eyed, open-mouthed gullibility, who would have thought a London river boat guide could not be trusted?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 04:43 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The plight of the alpha plus ex-head of the IMF was, and still is, down to the machinations of the "monstrous regiment of women", and their lickspittles and lackeys in Media, baying for blood.

Oh God, you're back on this again are you?
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:45 am
@izzythepush,
So speaks another of the saps. I'm old enough to have observed the conversion of the male into a lapdog. I saw a bloke coming out of B&Q with another instrument of torture under his arm and being held by the hand. Probably £200 s worth. Jimmy Carter started that nonsense. When he was shown striding purposefully across the lawn from the helicopter being held by the hand it caused quite a stir. Some frowns in the gentlemen's clubs and comments in the press.

Now nobody can understand what the fuss was about. Mr Obama and Mr Cameron can now be shown being held by the hand and not a single eyebrow is raised. That's "progress". And it isn't stopping on Sept. 9 2011 either. And if the one lone voice is shouted down by the prisoners men will end up being led with a lead to a collar round their necks juggling with a pile of hat boxes as Dick van Dyke was once shown prophesying.

At least John Major was shagging the Minister of Agriculture at the time he was shown being held by the hand. Hence the smirk. When he was being held by the hand he was obviously just punting for the female vote. Now that being held by the hand is a cliche other methods are required to solicit the votes of that section of the franchise. Such as making women friendly comments on women's concerns.

The thing is izzy--women don't respect lapdogs.

Can you imagine the chief of the IMF getting perp walked and banged up on the say-so of an immigrant cleaning woman in, say, 1980?
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:55 am
@spendius,
Look what happened to Ken Clarke: a Minister of State and of wide experience. All he said was that some rapes were more serious than others which is obviously true.

And he suggested reducing sentences for guilty pleas as it saved the alleged victim from the trauma of giving evidence and being cross examined. Which seems reasonable. The fuss made about that suggested victims wanted to give evidence.

He had to apologise.

I don't recall seeing Mr Clarke being led by the hand.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:15 am
wow, we had a massive power outage since yesterday afternoon. Parts of southern California, Arizona and Mexico were without power due to human error. At one point it affected 5 mill. people....
It was a bit scary despite all the candles we had lit in the house.
Well, we're back in business now!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:24 am
@spendius,
I remember when Ken Clarke was called Fatarse the Vulture.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 08:29 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The thing is izzy--women don't respect lapdogs.

They don't have a lot of time for reactionary old farts spouting bollocks. You seem to forget that for the last 7 years I've brought up 2 kids on my own without any female intervention whatsoever. If you knew some women who weren't either barmaids or prozzies you might have a more balanced view.
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 11:33 am
@izzythepush,
Aw--come on izzy. You're segregating barmaids and "prozzies" from the respectable matrons and you obviously don't know respectable matrons as well as I do.

What you are doing is casting yourself in a role which is strategically organised to enchant, or round up morelike, our ladies here into being attracted into your force field so that you can control them the more easily. And with mere words. A sweet and easy breath. A greaseball charmer.

The obvious foolishness of that technique is due to them being too smart for you. That you are unaware of that simple fact only compounds the misogyny of trying that trick on them.

Nature has deemed it right that the human female, alone among the higher animals, seeks to enchant the male into her force field. Hence the trillion dollar industry serving to refine the modes of enchantment. And Jane Austen's famous opening lines.

And Homer teaches that the more enchanting the temptation the more necessary it is to resist it.

I have not at all forgotten your situation. I have a great deal of sympathy. The things you need to think about I couldn't possibly comprehend. It would be silly for me to wish you well because I do so automatically. It goes without saying.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 01:39 pm
@spendius,
I don't really have any 'strategy' as you call it towards women, but having the domestic role thrust upon me means that I am a fellow traveller. There is just as much prejudice towards single dads as there is towards women in high powered jobs.

The thing is, I've not really found parenthood that difficult. I've got a fantastic relationship with my kids, but that doesn't stop well meaning women thinking they can help out by offering my kids a woman's perspective. It's one thing when it's friends, it's something else when you're on holiday. They see a single dad and naturally assume I'm struggling. I'm not, if anything I'm coasting along.

To accept your viewpoint about male/female workplace/domesticity would mean to accept that women make better parents. Were you to compare my kids to those of the single mums in my street, you would not think that to be the case at all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:54 pm
Found this on a juridical blog:
Quote:
One of the dishonest parliamentarians has been released from prison, having served about nine weeks for defrauding the taxpayer out of £14,000, so that's about £1,500 per week. A student who stole water worth £3.50 was reportedly given six months, so on the assumption that he too serves a quarter of his time he made about 58p per week.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I know, on another not Danny Alexander has announced a whole new bunch of tax inspectors. They should have thought of that before they sacked the last lot.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:11 pm
@izzythepush,
LibDems ...
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Apparently people are using a new phrase instead of 'Is the pope a Catholic?' or 'Does a bear **** in the woods?' It's 'Is Clegg a ****?' I think it's got a nice ring to it, and try to use it as often as possible, especially when talking to elderly relatives.
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 03:40 am
@izzythepush,

Vince Cable's the man. Although he had a dip last year, due to journalistic trickery, he got his own back on the Murdoch empire and then some.
I wonder what Rebekah's doing this month?
McTag

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 04:36 am

Saw an odd thing yesterday, on a TV news item. Another "burglar" was killed by the intended victim. There have been three in our area in the last year.

Anyhow, relatives of the dead man then attended the place, and left flowers and messages outside, for all the world as if he had been a handyman who had fallen off a ladder.

Is there no shame left in the world?
0 Replies