THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 04:30 am
@izzythepush,
Sensible lady. The economy would come right of its own accord if there were more like her.

There's already a lot mind you but they don't get much exposure because Media can't make money out of them so it's an illusion that they are an eccentric minority.

They always say that a million people have gone abroad for Easter. Never that 59 million haven't.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 04:39 am
@spendius,
I presume you are all in favour of building more airports.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 04:47 am
@spendius,
Not everyone, spendi, likes watching a Punch and Judy show, ride donkeys along a beach, eat candy floss and a stick of rock or just stay all in at an amusement pier.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm very relieved to hear that Walt. Things would be a bit difficult if everyone was like that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 05:14 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I presume you are all in favour of building more airports.

Every home should have one.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:37 am
@izzythepush,
Most have a landing strip. Like when you finally get back home after a stressful journey through the minefields of a foreign holiday and you ease yourself between the sheets saying "Eee bah gum!! It's grand to get back 'ome."

One lesson was quite sufficient for me to get the picture. I'm a quick learner when it comes to sensual delights impinging on a tortured body. Why do you think Jesus went round to Mary Magdalene's back door after He resurrected?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:42 am
@spendius,
I can't speak for Jesus, and I leave the Ee Bah Gumming to other family members, but I do like to slip between the sheets when abroad saying, 'Blinding holiday, it's good to get away.'
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:52 am
@spendius,
When reading that you might try to put some authentic feeling into "Eee bah gum!! It's grand to get back 'ome." Some vocal inflections that bring up the power of the relief.

You should try that when an author gives a character something to say. I can't imagine reading an author who gives a character something pompous to say who is not taking the piss.

I remember when I was a mere lad coming back to England after my random journeys around the middle-east and going down on my knees in the pouring rain and kissing the tarmac. I bolted for home as soon as I was de-kitted and signed off with no diseases.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 07:55 am
@izzythepush,
If it's good to get away then it must be pretty rotten where you usually are. Which seems inconsistent with the yabber-yabber picture of your days you have provided.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:28 am
@spendius,
It's lovely in Southampton, remember more parks per square mile than any other city in Europe excepting Vienna. It's still good to get away though, travel broadens the mind.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah--when following Mr Tambourine man.

I don't think it's good to get away physically and I think it narrows the mind.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 11:24 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Fancy trams being a tourist attraction!!. They look like kiddie's rides to me. I have a negative attitude to tourist attractions generally. "It's just a pile of stones Bob" Andy Warhol said when they tried to get him out of the limo to climb a pyramid in Mexico.
Well they're often a pleasant background to an urban scene, and they do help move people about. What's wrong with kiddies rides for adults and geezers? No one cares about Andy Warhol anymore - he was just a marker for a place and time that are now gone.

spendius wrote:

Tourists seem to just mooch and gawp in between the eating and drinking. Mailer said something about it being a photograph collection operation in aid of being better than the neighbours.
They do indeed stand out as you say, however, that neededn't detract from your other pleasures. I frequent an informal club that meets at Scoma's restaurant on Fisherman's wharf in a very tourist dense area of town. Tourists exhibiting all the coarse features you describe abound. However, I take them as just part of the scene, and the local judges, lawyers and labor union bosses who populate the club are different only in the fact that they are wearing ties & jackets.

spendius wrote:

I would rather go to bed than go the China.
I can understand that, and sometimes feel so myself. However when I make the effort I enjoy myself and am glad I did it.
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 11:38 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
No one cares about Andy Warhol anymore...

That's a wild statement George.

Quote:
I can understand that, and sometimes feel so myself.

What psycho-biological medium enables you to overcome it?
georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 12:06 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
No one cares about Andy Warhol anymore...
That's a wild statement George.
OK, I don't care about Andy Warhol.

spendius wrote:
Quote:
I can understand that, and sometimes feel so myself.

What psycho-biological medium enables you to overcome it?
My wife.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 12:14 pm
@georgeob1,
Hehe, spendius cannot relate to that, George - the wife part! Wink

Let me know when you're ready to go to Munich, after all it's my home town,
I can tell you what's worth seeing and where tourists aren't necessarily flocking to.

--------
spendius, just because you're the odd one out, it doesn't have to mean that everyone should follow your example. People usually enjoy traveling and
seeing new horizons. No one is objecting to you staying day in and day out in your pub either...
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 12:21 pm
@georgeob1,
Wharf is a really weird word that doesn't fit into any root language, is something you'll be told when you go on a trip up the Thames. It's an acronym, warehouse at river front.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 12:42 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Wharf is a really weird word that doesn't fit into any root language, is something you'll be told when you go on a trip up the Thames. It's an acronym, warehouse at river front.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

We had lots of word acronyms in the Navy ... weft (for wrong every ******* time) fubar (for fucked up beyond all recovery) anf many others. None has the wide acceptance of wharf though.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:11 pm
@georgeob1,
I didn't know it either until I went on a trip down the Thames.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
spendius, just because you're the odd one out, it doesn't have to mean that everyone should follow your example. People usually enjoy traveling and
seeing new horizons. No one is objecting to you staying day in and day out in your pub either...

But I am by no means the odd one out. There are more like me than there are these polluting, peripatetic peregrinators who do not pay the full price of their frenzies. Their security is a burden to all of us. Only the people on the flightpath can hear the noise they make or see the sun blotting wakefarts.

Media conspires with the ppps because it can make more money off them than it can off us quiet ones.

I should think nobody is objecting to the pubs. The extortionate tax on beer helps pay for the minority to thrash about claiming to be having their minds broadened. As if.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
My wife.

Let her go on her own.
0 Replies