THE BRITISH THREAD II

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:31 am
@spendius,
I have told you my daughter's at university. A Russel Group University to be precise, studying German Spanish and Mandarin. Now she's the linguist, I'm just a macho fool.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:35 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Was it one of those circular pieces of self flattery which sneaks up on the listener? We go from my rooms to you being a brilliant bi-lingualist in short order.

I merely thought, that as you had just looked up the word oubliette, the root would have registered. I would never try to impress you with my linguistic brilliance, you're more likely to be impressed by a really good recipe for black pudding, ecky thump.
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 08:38 am
@izzythepush,
They made me come out in red blotches so I gave them up.

A butcher no far from here won the best black-pudding contest everytime he entered.

I daren't say what the young girls used to call them when I was a lad.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 10:33 am
Well that's exciting, spendius! Usually you're not one for changes...
so you attend to a vegetable garden now? Hard to believe that you can do that!
Is your old pub to far away now? They probably have to close up since their
best customer has left them. What's the new pub like? Have they accepted
you already?
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:11 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm always willing to change when it becomes necessary.

I once had five acres growing vegetables.

My old pub is too far to walk to. More than a mile. Apart from my years of duty among the heathens I have lived within 3 miles of where my egg was fertilised. My new pub is what we call "cock heavy". So there are no "tart's knickers" curtains at the windows. And the landlord is a lady. If you put the seven barmaids I've seen so far in a lifeboat it would sink.

It's a long way from the cool sophistication of San Diego.

In the last month I've been given enough damsons for ten jars of the best jam in the world, a few new laid eggs every week, some cabbages and as many tomatoes as I want. I've been promised half a ton of well rotted cow muck for a November spreading and digging under. And some rhubarb roots.

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:23 am
@spendius,
It was announced the other day that the average English woman has 39 pairs of shoes. I suppose there must be about 20 million average English women which makes about 800 million pairs of shoes. At £20 a pair that's about £1.6 trillion. Allowing a similar amount for handbags and for frocks and underwear plus the bottles of gunk and various professional treatments it's easy to see how the financial deficit got as big as it is.

The question is--would there be any less sexual congress if such expenditure had been seen as foolish? If not then the shortfall in the finances is due entirely to female vanity. So we haven't learned a great deal since Roman times.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:42 am
@spendius,
mmhh, I love damsons jam, my Mom still makes some, along with this type of pie. Well it's not a pie really, I am not sure what to call it...
http://www.stockfood.de/bilder-fotos/Zwetschgendatschi-020925.jpg

You see, you're lucky for not having a wife; you can spend all your money
in the pub while the next chap has to fork over part of his salary to his
wife's closet expansion. Of course, you might have to pay for sex extra, while
the chap has it built in with the shoe expenditures. The bottom line is, spendius: you pay one way or another!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:50 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I am not sure what to call it...

Pflaumenkuchen! (or "Zwetschgendatschi" as your mom would call it) Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 11:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In English, Walter, in English Laughing.....go and translate "Zwetschgendatschi"
(they say plum cake, but it's not really a cake)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 12:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'd call it a plum tart.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:28 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
You see, you're lucky for not having a wife; you can spend all your money
in the pub while the next chap has to fork over part of his salary to his
wife's closet expansion. Of course, you might have to pay for sex extra, while
the chap has it built in with the shoe expenditures. The bottom line is, spendius: you pay one way or another!

I'm not being drawn with such a cheeky farrago of fanciful flapdoodle as that Cal.

And I was making a macro-economic point anyway. You've got men chasing a phantasm of their own imaginations and it's costing a fortune. I bet they didn't teach you that in your co-ed economics major.

I can't say I fancy the pie from the picture but I expect it tastes good. Or even yummy.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:41 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I can't say I fancy the pie from the picture but I expect it tastes good. Or even yummy.

Bet you fancy a few tarts though.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:45 pm
Yes, osso, tart is the right term, thank you!

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:50 pm
@spendius,
I didn't know the word "farrago" - I like it!

Quote:
And I was making a macro-economic point anyway. You've got men chasing a phantasm of their own imaginations and it's costing a fortune. I bet they didn't teach you that in your co-ed economics major.

No, but life's lessons are a good teacher sometimes that is if one learns from
it.

These plum tarts are quite delicious, actually.

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 01:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
These plum tarts are quite delicious, actually.

It's the sugar actually Cal. And the coolness of the pastry-cook's fingertips.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 02:41 pm
I've been tempted to join this conversation - certainly enough piquant phrases here to get started ..." cock heavy, tart's knickers, plum tarts, cheeky farrago of fanciful flapdoodle, ... cool sophistication of San Diego," etc. However, I wish to be cautious.

Clearly Calamity Jane is doing better managing Spendi's sallies than Izziethepush (or myself in other exchanges). However I expect that from Calamity.

".. cool sophistication of San Diego" does rankle a bit up here in San Francisco.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Haha, George, I knew this statement would not sit well with you cultivated
San Franciscan. Spendius doesn't know California; he doesn't know that you see us as the neanderthals down here Wink
spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
I like the neanderthal types the most Cal.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 05:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Haha, George, I knew this statement would not sit well with you cultivated
San Franciscan. Spendius doesn't know California; he doesn't know that you see us as the neanderthals down here Wink

I also always make an exception for upper San Diego. Poor Spendius hasn't seen La Jolla

I don't see you as a neanderthal at all Calamity - more a wise and very pleasant friend.

I like Spendi too. Nice phrase that "...cheeky farrago of fanciful flapdoodle as ..." One can't stay annoyed at anyone who can come up with that. He has his doubts about me though. Too bad.

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2011 07:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Thank you, George, I consider you as a good and very pleasant friend too!
Indeed, La Jolla is different than other parts of San Diego. Just let me know when you're up to for lunch at the Valencia again.

That's what I like too, spendius is quite articulate and he uses phrases no one else will, so I am always learning new words when reading him.
I do think he likes you, he enjoys a good argument and you certainly
are equipped to argue with him on a much higher level than all of the rest of us mortals do.