THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:00 pm
@McTag,
There was an inchoate revolution there for a moment. Sufficient to get Cameron, Clegg, May, Osborne and Johnson to interrupt their hols, no mean feat. And Parliament recalled.

How often were our revolutionaries instructed by our Media how to manipulate the internet to stoke up trouble quickly with each middle-east country that caught fire. Everytime there was a uprising the reporters told us how they had produced it so suddenly. Media enjoys reporting uprisings because their ratings go up so you can see why it takes pains to show us how to do it. It was inflaming the pyromaniacs, and those with slow shifting stock, all Saturday night. There's only one way to describe the helicopter hovering above the burning bus: lovingly and lingeringly.
McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:32 pm
@spendius,

Oh yes, the hypocrisy of the media.
Enough material there for several PhD studies, at least.

I've not seen the antics in Parliament today yet; maybe I'll stay up for Newsnight. It was quite good watching Gove and Hattie Harperson crossing swords last night.

Meanwhile, abroad:

A society in Germany which advises on etiquette and social behaviour has called for kissing to be banned in the workplace.

The Knigge Society says the practice of greeting colleagues and business partners with a kiss on the cheek is uncomfortable for many Germans.

"People say this is not typical German behaviour," he said.

"It has come from places like Italy, France and South America, and belongs in a specific cultural context. We don't like it, they say."

I'm willing to bet you never kissed your workmates, Spendy.

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:43 pm
@spendius,

I'm pleased to hear that the Prime Minister and the police representatives have belatedly come round to my way of thinking; that is, it is unwise to let a riot of looting develop. Better to get in fast, with whatever force can be mustered.
They seemed to be hamstrung and hogtied by their own procedures manual.
"When faced with a riot, first assemble a large force equipped with riot gear and trained in its use. Then await further instructions."

It was the same with the Fire Service at the London Tube bombings. They wouldn't enter the tunnels until they had a safety assessment from their command.
This is no good. These people are well paid to take sensible risks on our behalf. They should get stuck in. The police watched the looting as it progressed, and so the looters got bolder. They should have had their collars felt. CCTV records can only be a poor second best.

Give the police heavier clubs, and give them back their cojones.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 01:12 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I'm willing to bet you never kissed your workmates, Spendy.

You would lose. I fucked a few of them so I presume I kissed them in the preamble.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 01:48 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You would lose. I fucked a few of them so I presume I kissed them in the preamble.

So the spirit of Romance is not dead after all.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:43 pm
@spendius,

Quote:
I fucked a few of them so I presume I kissed them in the preamble.

The last of the red-hot lovers. I've never heard it called that before, though.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:51 pm
@McTag,
He's thinking of foreplay but that is probably too much like golf.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Tiger Woods has made the spurt, sorry sport a bit more interesting.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:25 pm
@izzythepush,
I doubt that, Iz.
Dutchy

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:40 pm
@ossobuco,
His many holes in one cost him dearly, just ask his ex-mrs.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:52 pm
@Dutchy,
You're all nattering at me, nattering, nattering. Last thing I want to hear about is Tiger. Not that I'm a puritan, just that I was very bored long ago..

Don't bore me more, I will retaliate!

So, tell me about Clarke.. (seems sane to me)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:52 pm
@Dutchy,
http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/smilies/rimshot.gif
McTag

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 03:35 am
@Ticomaya,

Poor wee Rory McIlroy injured a tendon in his wrist.
But he's decided to play gamely on.
There's a few bob riding on the result, after all.

Rory, Ruaridh, is a gaelic name meaning "red".

Rob Roy McGregor, Robert Ruaridh McGregor, means he had red hair.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 06:03 am
@McTag,
And Rob Da Bank. It does look a bit red in this picture.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/profiles/robdabank.jpg
McTag

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 12:51 pm
@izzythepush,
And a rib is a reinforced inflatable boat.
Or maybe it's a rigid inflatable boat.
I don't know everything, you know.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 02:25 pm
@McTag,
We live in strange times mate. Southampton have won the first two games of the season and are top of the league. I don't know whether to cheer or cross myself.
McTag

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:50 pm
@izzythepush,

Joey Barton, eh? Great footballer, but he does get a bit excited at times. You'd a' thought he would have had enough of making headlines for one week.

Well done Southampton. Didn't Matt Le Tissier play for them? Marvellous.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 06:22 pm
@McTag,
Matt Le Tissier is one of ours, a footballer who is also a nice bloke. You don't see many of those about nowadays.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 06:38 pm
@McTag,
It wasn't in his wrist. Virtually all announcers got it clamfloogled. It was a tendon in his forearm, with difficulties with certain torques resulting. None of the announcing bozos seem to be able to read.

I doubt he is poor at this time.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:15 am
@spendius,
Quote:

And the measures that are taken will become permanent and thus move us another step towards totalitarianism. In fact it might be that those who want to do that organised the riots. It's a well known and often practiced trick.

That's pretty lateral Spendy. I like it, although I doubt it.
Met a Millwall fan covered in blood on the tube yesterday, he'd been out 'protecting' us.
0 Replies