THE BRITISH THREAD II

smorgs

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 07:14 am
I'm off to Asda and B&M Bargains - I love that shop.

x
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:55 am
@smorgs,
Quote:
Because Probate is usually associated with a death
I have lost both parents, my only two other brothers and my only family is cousins somewhere I know not where (apart from 5 kids and two divorces).....and so many friends...about 40 dead I think without stopping to add them up...I am sure you understand....and I have more than a beginners knowledge of Probate in Oz.
Quote:
so you should tread carefully Ionus
No, I shouldnt. But I apologise if I caused any hurt. (note my sig) Sometimes my own calouses affect my sensitive nature.
Quote:
However, I will let you off.
I thank you for showing more grace and good manners than I...it is a quality I always meant to get around to learning. Maybe I still will someday...Again, my apologies for any hurt, you certainly did nothing to justify it on my part, but I am always intolerably flippant. It is a survival mechanism.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:57 am
@spendius,
Quote:
How can two experienced old stagers like you and I smorgsie talk about sex when innocent young ladies like Queenie might be reading.
And me. Lets not forget the innocent and gentlemanly like myself.
Quote:
The fact that she believes in artificial birth control is enough to recommend avoiding those matters.
The best form of birth control is to have one...if that doesnt stop you from having others then you are doomed.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 03:52 pm
Good everning from sunny Doncaster in Merry old England. I'm excited. I've seen a bumble bee, a squirrel and a castle. sadly no hedgehogs yet.
We visited Pevril castle at Castleton. lovely place if a bit touristy, very quaint village. Drove myself through Sheffield which i consider a bit of an achievment.
England seems a little like my part of Australia except squished up.
Had unpasturised cheese for lunch.
Met Chris who lives on a boat on the river here and had a tour of his boat.
York tomorrow
plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@dadpad,
Hoping a hedge hog crosses your path. Say hello to the little guy from me, if you see one.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:28 pm
@plainoldme,
When I was a kid there were always hedgehogs around except in winter. I've fed some from my fingers.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:49 pm
@spendius,
I understand with the destruction of the hedgerows that there are fewer of the little guys around.
spendius

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 03:44 am
@plainoldme,
They are not little guys. They are like rats with spikes on their backs.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:10 am
@spendius,
Yes, but there are lots of animals larger than hedge hogs. Even a rat isn't as pig as a house cat.
spendius

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:15 am
@plainoldme,
Actually POM, women are a bit like hedgehogs when you think about it.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 02:59 am
Anyone watch The Normans last night?

What did you think?

x
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 04:13 am
@smorgs,
I saw the last 25 minutes whilst I was drying off on mi king size after mi daily soak. It was the usual type of history programme but exceptional for the miniscule nature of the budget. What I mean by usual is that the programme fulfilled the usual requirements which are--

1-To fill in the time in the TV schedules.

2- To retain as much of the programme's budget for salaries and expenses as possible.

3- To promote ticket sales etc at the sites where the original tapestry (it's not actually a proper tapestry) is exhibited in Normandy or the one where a Victorian copy is on display in Berkshire.

4- To allow the audience, which is basically sat on its arse in rest mode, to imagine they have learned some history so they can show off on various internet sites or in pub conversations and thus pose as intellectuals.

5- To enhance Prof Hudson's reputation as a skilled communicator and explicator of complex events with a few brush strokes designed to conceal the maidenly blushes involved in the generation of large armies.

It was a bit like covering the last few years in the UK with the tale of how Mr Blair was replaced by Mr Brown and his subsequent replacement by the Coalition of desperate office seekers.

0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:14 am
So...

Did you like it then?

x
McTag

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:16 am
It's minuscule, Spendy.

Germans put mustard on their sausages- two kinds of mustard, and umpteen kinds of sausages.

And Austrians. Went up in the cablecar this morning, fabby panorama of the Halps.
Might have some Schnitzl this evening. Well done Smorgs, can`t be too careful with an accent wall.
spendius

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:53 am
@smorgs,
Quote:
So...

Did you like it then?

It made me laugh. The empty field scene at the end was really amusing. I felt a little twinge of pity for the 200 mile march from York in 4 days of Harold's army. And I did wonder what the womenfolk were up to while these things were going on. The days were just as long for them as they were for the soldiers. And, indeed, as our days are.
Ionus

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:06 am
@spendius,
Its no good disliking The Normans Spendi...they provided you with half of your kulcha by force of arms. Otherwise you would just be Anglo-Saxon-Celtic-Romano-Jute-Norwegian/Danish-Britons. And THAT would have been boring. As it is, you can now claim your Upper Class Twits are the way they are because of rape and other trauma inflicted by the Norman Upper Class invaders on the upper class that existed at the time. So it is no good being howwid to The Normans....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:37 am
@McTag,
Each kind of sausages needs a mustard (out of this two main mustards, which have a couple of 'sub mustards' each).

Well, we saw a couple of Bavarian, Austrian, Liechtenstein and Swiss Alps this week, too. And had a dramatic ship trip during a thunder storm on the Lake of Constance last Sunday night.
McTag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Sounds good, Walter. Donnerwetter auf den Bodensee? Once we had a similar experience sailing from Regensburg on the River of Danube. Folks standing on the jetty got absolutely soaked, in seconds. But we were under cover, on board.

Today, Goldegg in Pongau which is quite near Kitzbühl, and not too far from the Dachstein group of mountains, lovely scenery. But the weather is a bit iffy, coolish and breezy, with a promise of sunnier days over the weekend.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:13 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Donnerwetter auf den Bodensee? Once we had a similar experience sailing from Regensburg on the River of Danube. Folks standing on the jetty got absolutely soaked, in seconds. But we were under cover, on board.

It had been a night tour along the Swiss coastline, watching the fireworks on the Swiss National Holiday (no joke: the tickets included the Swiss firework tax).

It was a real storm, storm warning lights and the blue lights of police and fire-brigade boats everywhere (plus the lightning and the fireworks). And was a bit dangerous, too, since quite a lot of tress were floating in the lake (we got hit at least twice, though there were crew members as outlooks and all searchlights were used
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
Started the decorating with Eunice today, glossed the skirting and picture rail (it's an old fashioned house) Eunice calls it my slag-pad (cheeky cow, and she's got no room to talk seeing as she shagged **** ***** in 2002), she did the ceiling (I can't do heights). Did polyfilling, sanding and everything... and all on fags, crumpets, tea and chocolate eclaires. It's the thinking woman's diet!

Papering tomorrow.

x

0 Replies