THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:10 pm

This time he was poking fun at the Jocks, in particular the heritage and genaeology industries. And he seems to be somewhere to the left of Dawkins on religion and like superstition.

So you're bound to agree.

Heretofore he's done mainly architecture programmes I think. But he's good, if a bit long-winded. I don't like Stephen Fry for that reason.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:36 pm
@McTag,
Did you not see my praise for the Jocks for inventing television, anti-biotics and smooth road surfaces? Imagine being without those Mac?
McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:40 pm
@spendius,

We didn't invent bagpipes, nor whisky I suppose. We invented "See-you, Jimmy" hats, though. And the world's first steamship sailed on the Monklands Canal.

Neal Ferguson reckons the Scots were responsible for the building of the British Empire.
Well, the weather in Greenock and Auchtermuchty is usually wet and miserable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:08 am
I know why my hosts asked me already 46 years ago not to read that paper Wink *

British men go bald later in life than Europeans

*That was because they thought, the Express was too anti-German. Now, they have only a different defination of 'Europe' - but refer to a German "baldness calculator" in that article. Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:24 pm

Local derby at Old Trafford today. Some people think this kind of thing is important. I don't,

unless City win of course, then I'll probably mention it again.

Speaking of which, I wish Steve would come online again.
Smorgs too, I miss the old gal.
The Thread is just not the same without these two.

(sniff)

insomniac for once McT
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 02:57 am
@McTag,
Can watch the 'derby' today since no interesting matches (for me) are in Germany at the same time. (You can watch now football from Friday night until Monday here, too.)

I suppose, Steve will be back within not too long.

[I'm not just missing him and smorgs - but Mathos as well.]
McTag

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Mathos flounced off in a bit of a strop...I doubt we'll see him again. But I liked his stuff, especially the travelogues, of Thailand and Lancashire.

Smorgs I think is readjusting her garters or something.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:25 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Local derby at Old Trafford today. Some people think this kind of thing is important. I don't,

unless City win of course, then I'll probably mention it again.

Seems, the Blues didn't want to play in the second half .... besides in the 90th minute Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Okay, I didn't know that they would play 96 minutes Shocked .... but the Reds were REALLY one goal better.
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Best game of the season so far. City were robbed of a point and United gifted two by the usual benign refereeing we are so used to at Old Trafford. United's 3rd goal came from an iffy free kick.

It is irrelevant Walt that you thought that United were REALLY one goal better.

Money talks.

If Hughes wants to take his team to the top he is going to have to play to win at all times. He settled for a draw at 2-2 and, as it often does, it cost him. And him doing that flattered United.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:57 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It is irrelevant Walt that you thought that United were REALLY one goal better.

Money talks.

Otherwise I'd never said such Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:01 am

Bastards.

Owen scores the winner in the 97th minute of a 94-minute match. I bet Fergie wasn't doing his usual timekeeping antics this time.

Given was the Man of the Match, fair enough, he should expect to be busy at Old Trafford.
I'll see the highlights on MotD.

Bastards.
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 05:22 pm
@McTag,
Mac-- if you paid more attention you might notice that the word "minimum" is always used in the announcements on added time. I could explain why that is necessary but I would prefer you to think it out for yourself.

It is not an accident.
McTag

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:14 am
@spendius,

Yes fair enough. I've seen the highlights programme, and United won fair and square.

Maybe Bellamy will have to serve a suspension now. City's forwards are dropping out with sickening regularity. Not good.

The bloody defence, though. Collander. You don't want to give Rooney and Owen the freedom of the park.
spendius

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 01:21 pm
@McTag,
I've just heard a guy on ITV say that our future pensions, after a lifetime of working our socks off, are going to be a disappointment and not fit for purpose because of the dot com bubble bursting and a few other things. He didn't say that those things were caused by our not working our socks off presumably because we would all switch to something else if he did.
McTag

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:07 am
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-16691-galleryV9-sbff.jpg

Oktoberfest.

No instructions on how to drink beer, however.
McTag

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:11 am
@spendius,

Quote:
I've just heard a guy on ITV say that our future pensions, after a lifetime of working our socks off, are going to be a disappointment and not fit for purpose because of the dot com bubble bursting and a few other things. He didn't say that those things were caused by our not working our socks off presumably because we would all switch to something else if he did.

A couple of days ago I heard that some of our major institutions had not budgeted enough to pay for the agreed pensions of recently-retired fat cats.

Does that mean RBS will have to find more of our money to pay Fred the Shred? Or can they just tell him to whistle?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:41 am
@McTag,
That's hilarious McTag.

Ah. I have just slept through my first university lecture of the year. What a good start.
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:30 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
It's not a bad policy Queenie. Such lectures can do your head in if you are wide awake and attentive.
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 05:26 pm
@spendius,
Hey Mac--these ceiling busting women eh? What can you say?

An Attorney General who supervises new legislation and is the first person to be convicted under it and fined £5 grand.

Oh boy!!