THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
@Francis,
No,no. I was translating 'Love's last shift' into ordinary speech. The remark about the French translator was only part of the joke. The "vinegar stroke" remains unsaid and is conveyed in an expressive gesture of somesort. It's a bit complicated actually.

It's a variation on the "a titter ran round the court" joke.
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
On reflection I can see it as a put-down of the person the story is told to. Or a test. Authenticity of laugh test.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
@spendius,
I imagine that gesture but to describe it is beyond my abilities..
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@Francis,
Try that famous photo of Proust looking into the lens.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:20 pm
@McTag,
6:2, 7:5, 6:2. There will be a next time. (At least that match didn't shorten our sleep to much.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:39 pm

It's the sound of the men
Working on the chain ga-ha-hang

http://www.scotsman.com/latestnews/Minister-says-send-convicts-out.4470546.jp
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 02:41 am

Here is a phenomenon I can't explain. You can try this at home. In fact, you can't try it anywhere else.

If you have a double bed and a duvet, or a blanket, you might leave the duvet folded over the bottom of the bed during the day. I do.

When you've had your cocoa and it's time for beddy-byes, you may grasp a corner of the duvet and "whoosh" it over the bed in one movement. Women may do it more carefully, but men are too lazy to walk round the bed and pull it up carefully from both sides. I, being male, opt for the labour-saving method.

Now here's the odd bit. Whan I whoosh it, with a sinewey flick of my arm, I also turn down the corner, while it's in mid-whoosh. Try it.

When you do, you will find that the top two corners have turned down, symmetrically, although you have only had a hold of one.

What does it do that, I wonder?
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:08 am
@McTag,
Not being a duvet man I'm afraid I can't help you with that Mac. It could be that you are exceptionally gifted in someway. I would contact Granada TV. They are often short of human interest stories to fit into the gaps between the ads.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
A glimpse behind the scenes for the excited jumpers up and down with vicarious and effortless pride. The Sunday Times-

Quote:
Training strain

Sport. Want to win an Olympic gold? Britain’s golden girl of swimming, Rebecca Adlington, pictured above, may have carried off two medals at this year’s Games but the youngsters trailing in her wake are being subjected to gruelling and even cruel swimming regimes, a report claimed on Thursday. The study into the training of 17 swimming squads found that children as young as 11 are expected to swim up to 32 miles a week and spend up to 27 hours in the pool.

Melanie Lang, a researcher at Leeds Metropolitan University, said: “Excessive training by young athletes . . . can inhibit bone growth, cause physical and mental burn-out and increase the potential for injury and drop-out.” Eleanor Hudson, now 21, who at her peak was ranked third in England for her age, gave up the sport at 16 because of the pressures. “If you weren’t in pain and red in the face . . . you had to do better,” she said.

And that's tame stuff. I've seen one vomiting until he was empty and then retching like the hiccups. That bloody Blair. What an arsehole.

The Olympics is not sport. It's shite.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:57 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Here is a phenomenon I can't explain. You can try this at home. In fact, you can't try it anywhere else.

If you have a double bed and a duvet, or a blanket, you might leave the duvet folded over the bottom of the bed during the day. I do.

When you've had your cocoa and it's time for beddy-byes, you may grasp a corner of the duvet and "whoosh" it over the bed in one movement. Women may do it more carefully, but men are too lazy to walk round the bed and pull it up carefully from both sides. I, being male, opt for the labour-saving method.

Now here's the odd bit. Whan I whoosh it, with a sinewey flick of my arm, I also turn down the corner, while it's in mid-whoosh. Try it.

When you do, you will find that the top two corners have turned down, symmetrically, although you have only had a hold of one.

What does it do that, I wonder?
you should get out more mct Smile
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:00 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
The Olympics is not sport. It's shite.
Its football and the English premier league in particular which is shite.
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@Steve 41oo,
Come off it Steve. It's wonderful. It's nearly as good as cricket.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@Steve 41oo,
How would you like it if you were underneath a Ponting skier at deep fine leg with the sun in your eyes in front of 30,000 whooping fans at Lords knowing that a cameraman has your face in close up which will then be shown in replays.
McTag

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@spendius,

"with the sun in your eyes "

So this hypothetical scenario is not in England?

Hey btw in all weathers or none, close public scrutiny never bothered George Best. While he was playing football, I mean.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:44 pm
@Steve 41oo,

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus
When he said the world was round.
They all laughed when Edison recorded sound.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@spendius,
I'd love it!

Palm it away with the right hand, then do a flip and scissor kick it into the left hand before asking quietly howzat?

I said earlier that I thought England might do quite well. That did not include winning...and definitely excluded beating Croatia 1 :4 at home. Shades of Munich 2002? or was it 2003...my doestnt time fly?

The Sweatties did quite well too.
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 05:16 pm
@Steve 41oo,
If they can't put it on the BBC or ITV they can shove it. Or Sky.

Jamie Carragher said that he would rather miss a penalty for England than miss one for Liverpool. And so would I if I was him.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:05 am
@Steve 41oo,

Capello's crackers crunch the Croats woo-hoo
Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:47 am
@McTag,
I watched in round the Cock...or rather last 20 minutes. Place was full of really really obnoxious Ingerlanders. Thats what puts me off internatioanal footy...objectional behaviour on and off the pitch by players and their moronic followers. Who are all racists...in my experience.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:52 am
@Steve 41oo,
We are all racists Steve.