De Niro fans

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:39 am
I am a fan of Robert De Niro, like many people in the world.

He has this image of being a tough guy.I reckon most people would say that his role in Goodfells asums up the image we expect of him.

But, I would like to praise a film he did in the 80's called King of Comedy.
He is nothing like his usual gun weilding character, infact he is very nerdy.

I just wondered if De Niro fans have this film in their collection or if its seen as a no-no.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 622 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
In my not-very-humble opinion, Robert DiNiro is the greatest film actor working today, and quite possibly the best Hollywood actor since movie cameras were invented. His range is remarkable. He quite literally becomes the character he is portraying and there is no limit to the kind of character he can portray. I never think of him as a tough-guy type. He has played a number of roles that aren't anything like that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 05:04 pm
I think Rupert Pupkin (his character in The King of Comedy) was a great part for him, and that movie is like a cult fave for many people, including De Niro fans. He's not the same old De Niro in it, but he's good just the same.

Yeah, the tough guy roles are the ones people seem to associate more closely with him, but I remember a lot of movies where he was a softer, more complicated character.

How about A Bronx Tale? He was no tough guy in that movie, and he was fantastic.

Then again, in Frankenstein, I heard he was horrible. Or maybe the movie itself was horrible and he got lambasted tangentially.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:13 pm
I can't say that I know all of DeNiro's body of work, and I've never seen The King of Comedy, but I've seen him in enough comedy films (Meet the Parents, Analyse This) to know that he's a great comedic actor as well.

My favourite film of his is Flawless, with Philip Seymour Hoffman. He does play a tough guy (who learns to respect and like a drag queen) in this.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:54 pm
I'm an admirer of DeNiro because of the actor he is, not because he plays tough guys. He was wonderful in Kings of Comedy, Bronx Tale, and lots of other films in which he didn't portray a tough guy. One of the reasons I'm a fan of his is because he can do it all.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 01:37 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
In my not-very-humble opinion, Robert DiNiro is the greatest film actor working today, and quite possibly the best Hollywood actor since movie cameras were invented. His range is remarkable. He quite literally becomes the character he is portraying and there is no limit to the kind of character he can portray. I never think of him as a tough-guy type. He has played a number of roles that aren't anything like that.

Yes indeed. He has presented so many skills as an artist that it would take pages to describe them...

I watched Godfather II and Goodfellas one after the other on Sunday night after watching both Raging Bull and Dear Hunter last week. His acting had me melting into the scenery.

I still recall the emotion I felt watching Raging Bull the first time and half expected Deniro to leave the screen and smack the $hit out of me in my theatre seat. I have never seen a more intensely played character. I consider it the finest performance done in cinema.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
If you truly love an actor, you have/watch/appreciate (even if you don't like) all their films and works.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Ive not seen Raging Bull but its on my list.I love Taxi Driver, not coz its a classic but I share his feeling about society going downhill.

He was good in Frankenstein.Sometimes when films of books are made no one goes to see them as they may have had previous film adaptations and people know the ending.
0 Replies