kids & Alcohol

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:18 pm
Is it legal for a parent to give their kids alcohol in the US?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 730 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 09:23 pm
Yes! No! Maybe!

Every state has their own laws so in some places it is and in others it isn't. Some places limit it to religious celebrations/ceremonies, etc...

There are two things that generally hold true across the country - If the parent allows the minor to consume to excess and the child ends up in any sort of trouble the parents are going to be in legal trouble and if the consumption is limited, responsible and within their own home then the odds of having any legal implications are pretty remote.
0 Replies

scarface136

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 11:33 pm
Thanks a million Fishin. So it's a case where the glass is either half-full or half-empty huh.
0 Replies

scarface136

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:32 am
Thanks a million Fishin. So it's a case where the glass is either half-full or half-empty huh.
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
i think it is wrong to give your kid achohol being all of 15 myself it is really hard trying to overcome peer pressure and if the parents are willing to let you do it then it becomes harder to say no and that can get you into trouble
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:45 pm
It is legal in Wisconsin, even in restaurants -- though practically speaking, I think most places won't serve kids under 16 when they're out with their parents.

It makes for some interesting sights -- whole families walking merrily and lightly loaded down the street on, say, Badger game day.

I think it's a good thing, myself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
I'm not so sure I agree cutiekatie.

From the time I was quite young my parents allowed me and my three older siblings to have a glass of wine with dinner or a mixed drink on special occassions and not a single one of us caved to peer pressure to drink.

Two of my siblings are now total tea-totalers and my other sibling and I are not big drinkers (okay.... we both like wine and often crack a bottle over dinner).

Maybe our parents letting us have a drink made it a lot less cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:52 pm
Yeah, was going to say that. I think there's a benefit to being able to satisfy your curiosity in a safe, supervised environment. Not to drunkenness, but just to taste... (I was quite the wine conoisseur at age 12 or so, but haven't ever been drunk in my life.) (Yes, I'm a freak...)
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:00 pm
i always have a little champaign on new years eve. im not saying that is bad but when parents allow them to drink whenever they want and however much than that becomes the problem
0 Replies