Million Atheist March

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:47 am
You'd think then the same should hold true even more so in Canada, because we have official multiculturalism as opposed to the US's unofficial melting pot.

Multiculturalism's doctrine mandates you keep you own culture intact. Multiculturalism in Canada is a sizable business and has a sizable budget etc all in the dogmatic presumption of each culture being separate but equal of the other.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:56 am
Chumly,

No I don't think that follows. Where multi-culturalism is official this requires less psychological effort on the part of individuals to establish their "identity". Its like being given a set of clothes with the option of wearing them as opposed to having been actively involved in their design.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:14 am
Your argument seems to be prefaced on the idea that the more the government does on your behalf, the less driven you'll be to support individualized autonomy.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:43 am
Yes exactly. From primate studies it would appear that a tendency towards "tribalism" is innate. Where none pre-exists it will be created. The psychological sleight of hand by religious tribalists is that they claim to advocate its opposite "the brotherhood of man"!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:03 am
By your viewpoint you might argue that multiculturalism in Canada has the opposite of the intended effect in that by trying to institutionalize cultural differences people actually become more homogenized.

Taking your viewpoint to its logical conclusion in the USA, that would suggest the government strongly endorsing, promoting and institutionalizing all religions would create more tolerance towards atheism (and for that matter more acceptance and tolerance in general as the effects of tribalism were transferred from the literal street level to the figurative governmental level).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
fresco wrote:
Regarding the unusual degree of "religiosity" in America which might render "atheism controversial" I have a simplistic theory. Since the USA has been historically "a melting pot" immigrants used religion as opposed to language or historical artifacts to satisfy a basic need for "group identity". The fact that there was no single state religion combined with the "pioneering spirit" rendered each of the plethora of alternative religions fiercley self assertive to the extent that those who do not participate in such an ideological free market are considered somehow to be "un-american".

So there it is in a nutshell Smile

Sounds as good as any other explanation I've heard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:53 am
Essentially, there are two mindsets at work. The religious perceive atheism as totally alien to their perception of the world, and are genuinely horrified by it (The nearer the fundamentalist level, the stronger the moral outrage). It's a divide that may never be bridged.

Which is not claiming that all believers are offended by atheism. I couldn't speak for them all, just as I cannot speak for all atheists.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Essentially, there are two mindsets at work. The religious perceive atheism as totally alien to their perception of the world, and are genuinely horrified by it (The nearer the fundamentalist level, the stronger the moral outrage). It's a divide that may never be bridged.

Is that your actual experience of the attitudes of religious people that you have come across, Edgar?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:15 am
Chumly,

There is some merit to your "logical conclusions". Once the state gets involved the issue of "equality" of all contenders becomes sacrosanct. It is but a simple psychological step to move from "equality of all beliefs" to "arbitrary value of all beliefs".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:08 pm
Edgar, it's my impression that theists see atheists as evil (or morally misguided) and atheists see theists as stupid (or intellectually misguided).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:47 pm
dlowan wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Is that your actual experience of the attitudes of religious people that you have come across, Edgar?

Even the deeply religious friends I have are mostly like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Edgar, it's my impression that theists see atheists as evil (or morally misguided) and atheists see theists as stupid (or intellectually misguided).

In many instances that is so. I personally don't think a religious person is necessarily dumb, except certain fundamentalist types.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:37 pm
Fresco's "nutshell" applies unambiguously to Ireland.

And Edgar, I agree. I know very stupid atheists and very smart theists, but none of the smart in either category are fundamentalists. My brother, the fundamentalist preacher, has intelligence (i.e., he has "brain power, the capacity for intelligent thought), but he is emotionally/culturally hampered. And theists like Kirkegaard and Tillich were profoundly intelligent to say the least.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
Which suggests far too much emphasis is put on quantifiable/qualifiable intelligence, to the severe determent of pragmatism*!

* A practical, matter-of-fact way of approaching or assessing situations or of solving problems.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:03 pm
fresco wrote:
Yes exactly. From primate studies it would appear that a tendency towards "tribalism" is innate. Where none pre-exists it will be created. The psychological sleight of hand by religious tribalists is that they claim to advocate its opposite "the brotherhood of man"!

I did not comment earlier. This statement lines up with my own take on it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 07:40 pm
Since I began this thread, I have swung to the opinion that atheist gatherings can have a positive effect.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
like Shakespeare in the park?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 05:06 am
@Rockhead,
I didn't read much about that recent gathering. But, as a general principle.
demonhunter

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 11:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
keep marching. TROLL.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 07:35 am
@demonhunter,
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small -
0 Replies