Oracle Deal for Hyperion Is Expected

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 04:26 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/technology/01deal.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Published: March 1, 2007
ANDREW ROSS SORKIN and MICHAEL J. de la MERCED wrote:
Oracle is near a deal to acquire Hyperion Solutions, which makes software that allows corporations to analyze and track their performance, for more than $3.1 billion, according to people briefed on the deal.

The acquisition is expected to be announced as early as today, these people said.

The deal would be the latest trophy in a lengthy string of acquisitions by Oracle, the database software giant that has been struggling to grow from within.

In December, Oracle posted strong earnings growth for its second fiscal quarter, but its growth in license sales disappointed investors. The company said at the time that it had failed to close some crucial licensing deals during the quarter. License sales rose 28 percent in the quarter, but that was down from 80 percent growth in the previous quarter.

Exact terms of the deal could not be learned last night.

Shares of Hyperion slipped 25 cents yesterday in regular trading, to $42.84, giving it a market value of about $2.5 billion. Oracle shares closed at $16.43, up 14 cents. Representatives for Oracle, which is based in Redwood City, Calif., and Hyperion, with headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., could not be reached for comment.

Oracle has long been known as one of the most aggressive acquirers of technology companies.

Led by Lawrence J. Ellison, who sees acquisitions as a tool for growth, the company has at times seemed on the verge of gobbling nearly every rival in the business software market. In the last three years, Oracle spent more than $20 billion on acquisitions, including buying two of its most formidable competitors, PeopleSoft and Siebel.

PeopleSoft, the company Oracle fought over for nearly two years, was its most notable deal.

In December 2004, after a battle for control that grew nasty, Oracle finally acquired PeopleSoft for about $10.3 billion, becoming the second-largest maker of business-management software.

The day after completing the deal, Oracle fired four top officers of PeopleSoft.

Since that deal, Oracle's appetite has been unsatiated. In 2005, the company bought a stake in I-flex Solutions, a maker of financial software based in Mumbai, India, for a reported $909 million.

Within the last year, Oracle has struck a series of deals, including a $5.9 billion acquisition of Siebel Systems and a $440 million purchase of Stellent last year.

Hyperion would be one of the last pieces to complete Oracle's strategy. Founded in 1981 as IMRS, Hyperion has grown into one of the biggest makers of business analysis software through its Hyperion System 9 suite.

For the 2006 fiscal year, the company reported $765 million in revenue.

Hyperion itself has grown through a series of deals, notably a 1998 merger with Arbor Software that brought the popular Essbase database software program into its fold.

Hyperion has long been speculated about as a merger partner with Business Objects, another business analysis software maker, according to analysts.

Indeed, the two companies held talks this year, but those negotiations collapsed over price and other issues, people briefed on them said.

Oracle has talked to half a dozen companies recently about acquiring them, according to people familiar with those talks. Hyperion has long been on that list.

Last year, The Mercury News in San Jose ranked Hyperion's executive chairman, Jeffrey R. Rodek, as No. 49 among the highest-paid executives in Silicon Valley.

Mr. Rodek, who became chairman and chief executive in 1999 and executive chairman in 2004, received $11.01 million in compensation in 2005, including salary and stock options.

Oracle: http://www.oracle.com/index.html
Hyperion: http://www.hyperion.com/

I am an IT professional and I work with Hyperion products (Brio Query) every single day, and have worked with Brio even before it was acquired by Hyperion, as far back as 1998. Brio is a decent product, it has some issues but it's fairly easy to use and its problems are not insurmountable.

I'm also trained in Oracle, which doesn't, IMO, have as robust a reporting tool. But that comes from what may be differing foci, e. g. Hyperion being more about the reporting end of things whereas Oracle would be more from the administration/management end of databases.

I think the two softwares could merge well, but am concerned that Oracle might just trash Hyperion altogether. While Brio is already no longer supported, Hyperion has other products and I'm just a little anxious that they'd be shelved in favor of Oracle -- which isn't quite as perfectly reporter-friendly in its philosophy. This could impact my industry and perhaps future jobs for someone such as myself.

Anyone else following this story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,573 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:00 am
I was following Oracle from a stock owner point of view. However, I did end up selling the stock for various reasons, not this acquisition. I recently read how Ellison is living the life of an emperor by borrowing against his stock shares, his debt actual is now greater than his stock value (yeah that guy can spend). It bothered me that he's running the company like that, and beside I needed a new truck and various sundries for my business. I can't complain, the company was one of my best picks. Someone with more current IT knowledge than myself will have to to comment on the technical possibilities of this event.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:01 am
I haven't been following the story but, in some ways I agree with you, in others I'd disagree.

As you said, Oracle has crap for reporting tools. That is hurting them when companies are comparing Oracle vs. SQL Server. SQL Server is winning more and more because of it's reporting capabilities (not that those are great either but the package is better than Oracle's.).

Oracle needs BI tools and Hyperion has them. As long as Oracle doesn't get stupid and try to kill those tools it should be a good fit. With a few previous aquisitions Oracle pumped money into the aquired product line to bring it up to current industry standards. Maybe they'd do the same here??

Hyperion also has a lot of consultants and Oracle is big on making money off of offering services (instead of products). If Oracle can offer a complete BI package that includes installing/managing the back end database PLUS providing the Business Analysts they could be a heavy hitter in outsourced IT.

It looks like Oracle is trying to follow the same route IBM took. It worked well for IBM. We'll have to see how it pans out for Oracle.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:25 pm
Holy crow, responses! I usually send these over like lead balloons in the Tech Careers forum.

I would definitely not want them to run the co. into the ground. Certainly I don't love Oracle for reporting tools but they do make lovely databases. I didn't realize SQL Server was eating their lunch quite as badly as all that.

Hmm, I imagine I'll have to learn something new. Not a bad thing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:54 pm
jespah wrote:
I would definitely not want them to run the co. into the ground. Certainly I don't love Oracle for reporting tools but they do make lovely databases. I didn't realize SQL Server was eating their lunch quite as badly as all that.

I think it depends on how you define "eats their lunch". Very Happy MS SQL Server is gaining as far as the % of servers installed in the market. Oracle makes a lot more money on their's though.

I saw something the other day that mentioned Oracle had about ~35% of the servers out there and MS had close to 20%. But Oracle has close to 50% of the database sales revenue and MS only has something like 12-15%
0 Replies