Whence comes inequality for sapiens?

coberst

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:23 pm
Whence comes inequality for sapiens?

The very first class distinction was between mortal and immortal; between human and superhuman. For primitive wo/man it was the dead who held most power."The first class distinction, then, was between mortal and immortal, between feeble human powers and special superhuman beings."

Quotes from "Escape from Evil" by Ernest Becker
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 516 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:24 pm
coherts, All the observed inequalities are the result of our genes and environment. Much of it has to do with the leadership of the cultures from long past, but continues to influence the culture in many ways even today.

Migration and immigration of the human animal continues from the first homo sapien with two feet on the ground. With man's ability develop language, then to read and write history, we have advantages over the other life forms on this planet.

From the most primitive invention of the wheel to space flight, man has come a long way. The only problem with humans is also our ability to build destructive bombs and killing machines.

More and more people are now experiencing modernisms, but we still have cultures who have not advanced very far.

Inequality is in the eye of the observer.

My .02c worth.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:34 pm
coberst wrote:

Yes... I have often wondered; by what right did he do so? By what right did he claim the land as his own?

When we get down to it, the only rule is that the owner of the land is he who gives you hell to pay if you try to use it, and if this lies at the foundation of our civilization, it is not a very civilized one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:11 pm
I also have a queston that's never been answered or seen explained. Where did all the kings come from in all the different parts of the world?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 03:31 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I also have a queston that's never been answered or seen explained. Where did all the kings come from in all the different parts of the world?

Many were King by Divine Right (Rite?). Meaning the gods chose them.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:42 am
Hmm.. But before that, they chose the gods...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:28 am
Re: Whence comes inequality for sapiens?
coberst wrote:
Rousseau asked why humanity had gradually fallen from a primitive state of innocence into the conflicts of classes and states. Marx capitalized (a pun perhaps?) on Rousseau's idea to remind us that humanity did not all start out as exploited peons.

The problem with this of course is that it is all navel gazing. Rosseau THEORIZED on the history of mankind but, as with many philosophical theories, he had little scientifc evidence to offer any proof. He had absolutely no idea how ancient mankind actually organzied itself or how "civil society" and classes came into being. He created a theory that fit his own notions. Marx's "reminder" as such, means nothing.

Quote:

Which, if we accept as fact on it's own, means that most of the animal kingdon must also be considered as "civil society".
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:50 am
fishin

But it is Ernest Becker who has written the book I reference.

Ernest Becker (1924-1974) won the Pulitzer Prize foe General Nonfiction for the "Denial of Death". A distinguished social theorist and a popular teacher of anthropology, and sociology psychology.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:18 pm
coberst wrote:
fishin

Ernest Becker (1924-1974) won the Pulitzer Prize foe General Nonfiction for the "Denial of Death". A distinguished social theorist and a popular teacher of anthropology, and sociology psychology.

And? Are you trying to claim that because that you copied the quotes form Becker's book it somehow changes Rosseau's theories into the realm of fact?

If Becker relies on Rosseau as his basis and Rosseau is wrong where does that leave Becker?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:50 pm
fishin wrote:
coberst wrote:
fishin

And? Are you trying to claim that because that you copied the quotes form Becker's book it somehow changes Rosseau's theories into the realm of fact?

If Becker relies on Rosseau as his basis and Rosseau is wrong where does that leave Becker?

The essays I post are summaries of many pages of a book. They can only give a course outline of the authors story. They are designed to present a sufficient idea of the author's ideas such that the reader can decide if the ideas are worth further study. The reader makes a mistake when s/he takes such a summary and expects to comprehend what the author has taken a chapter to relate.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:42 pm
coberst wrote:
The essays I post are summaries of many pages of a book. They can only give a course outline of the authors story. They are designed to present a sufficient idea of the author's ideas such that the reader can decide if the ideas are worth further study. The reader makes a mistake when s/he takes such a summary and expects to comprehend what the author has taken a chapter to relate.

I see. So basically you admit that you don't know what the heck it is that you are talking about. Thanks. I already knew that. Carry on with your silliness.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:03 pm
coberst wrote:

Hmm... Then what is the purpose of your essays? Misguidance? That is all that can come of it if the above is true. You are basically saying that you post empty words. Or am I missing something?

And if you consider your posts an advertisement of sorts to the books you quote, then you are just spamming. And that is against the rules...
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:27 am
Cyracuz wrote:
coberst wrote:

Hmm... Then what is the purpose of your essays? Misguidance? That is all that can come of it if the above is true. You are basically saying that you post empty words. Or am I missing something?

And if you consider your posts an advertisement of sorts to the books you quote, then you are just spamming. And that is against the rules...

I think it is worth while to recognize that comprehension is a hierarchy and can be analogized by a pyramid. At the base is awareness followed by consciousness (awareness plus attention). Follows knowing and understanding is at the pinnacle.

One must pass through each lower level to reach any higher level. People must become conscious of important ideas before they can be knowledgeable of them. I am the rider galloping throughout the land telling the readers of important ideas that they might wish to be knowledgeable of.

Any adult who wishes to become an enlightened citizen must acquire a "Friend of the Library" card from a local college library. This card is the ticket to a life time journey throughout the marvelous land of reality and sophisticated intellect.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:32 am
If you're "the rider galloping through the land" then you're just advertising. Not neccesarily a bad thing. Depends on what one advertises, and you're not advertising some consumer product, so I guess that is to the good.

But words have never been the source of understanding for me. Words come after, they are what I dress ideas in after contemplating them. True wisdom is beyond words, and cannot be put into words.
0 Replies