Tonite's Oscars - who's going to win?

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:33 am
Didn't like the show much. There's not much you can do with a show that's largely designed to be boring. But I think they could have done better. Aren't these creative people?

Thought Helen Mirren looked stunning. Thought Meryl Streep looked she she forgot what day it was and at the last minute threw open her closet door and grabbed something to put on.

I thought Leonardo de Caprio looked like a man--not a boy.

Thought Ellen deGeneris was good, not great.

On the whole, I liked who won.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:05 am
I always videotape the broadcast and then fast forward through all the commercials and boring bits. In that way, I can go through a four-hour Oscar broadcast in a little over two hours.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:06 am
There are two whole hours left when the boring bits are taken out?

I agree about Helen Mirren, Roberta. Loved the swish and swing of her skirt, and the colors.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:16 am
sozobe wrote:
There are two whole hours left when the boring bits are taken out?

Amazing, isn't it? I like to watch the host, in case he/she says something funny. And I'll watch the presentation of the major awards. Technical awards, on the other hand -- I zip right past them. I just can't get too worked up about best sound editing or costume design. Also, I fast forward through the performance of the best song nominees (if they're any good, I've already heard them; if they're not, then I don't want to hear them). I will watch at least the beginning of the acceptance speeches, but when they start thanking their agents, I hit the FF button.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:26 am
YOU CAN'T GET WORKED UP OVER WHO WINS FOR COSTUME DESIGN??? Shocked
Well, what's the point of watching it at all then, I say.

This year "Marie Antoinette" won. I wanted to see that in the theatre, only for the costumes, which were magnificent. There was a wonderful spread in September's Vogue.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:35 am
eoe, I did see Marie A in the theater and really enjoyed it. The costumes were amazing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:34 pm
Some of the designer gowns are beautiful, but not all; some are just plain ugly.
0 Replies