Help me solve this computer mystery :) (Stupid icons!! DOH!)

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:21 am
This has bugged me forever, sorry if the topic belongs in the internet forum... (It could go either way.)

It's desktop shortcuts to web pages. I don't frequent too many sites so I keep desktop shortcuts instead of adding to my favorites folder. My method is:

Click FILE, click SEND, click SHORTCUT TO DESKTOP

About half the time, the new icon placed on my desktop is "custom" (for lack of a better word) to the site I'm creating the shortcut to; you know, the icon matches the site's graphic scheme or logo, ect. The other half of the time, the new icon is Microsoft's plain, ugly, default web page icon. Most perculiar though, is that sometimes my new shortcut's icon is the nice, site-custom icon that I like, but changes to old ugly MS default after a reboot.

So that's the problem. My questions are:

Is this indeed a problem or is it just a shortcoming of my OS or browser?
(OS = Windows XP, browser is the accomp. version of Internet Explorer)

How to fix this if it is my machine, obviously. Smile

A limitation of the web sites that the faulty icons target?

Can I use the Icons' properties settings to change the icon by pulling it off the web site it points to, same as if I wanted to pull an icon from Windows' default list?

I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to software, any info would help i'm sure. Embarrassed

Thanks & thanks again!
H
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:46 am
I believe that web documents are limited to whatever their creators (that's not you, that's the website people) do to them. You can change the title of a shortcut, though. You can also change the icon for non-web shortcuts, e. g. if you have a shortcut to your C:\ drive, you could right-click on the shortcut and select Properties, then select the Shortcut tab and click on Change Icon, then follow the instructions from there. But shortcuts and Internet favorites aren't exactly the same thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:48 am
That used to bug me too. If you have XP, you can get Tweak UI, part of Windows power toys.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

One of the neat little fixes in Tweak UI is getting the right icons, and ensuring that it stays put.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:53 pm
help me solve
Hi Phoenix!

Do you mean that the icons stay where you put them even after shutting down and restarting? Some mornings I get to the computer and find the icons scattered all over the map. Makes me want to go back to bed.
Anyway, I think I'll try Tweak UI - it sounds interesting.

How are you doing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
Hiya Tom............As I remember, when you first use Tweak UI, it moves the icons around. Write down where you put what, and then just put them in the order that you want. They won't move anymore.

As far as I am concerned, I have had better days. Mr. P. is having his gall bladder removed next week. We just came back from the pre-op stuff, and I am feeling a bit hassled. This mood will pass!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 06:14 pm
help me solve
I swear, the pre-op is more of a nuisance than the day of the surgery. What a drag!
0 Replies