One Nation Under God?

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 10:31 am
Here are some quotes I found today. What do you think?

"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion."

-- George Washington & John Adams, in a diplomatic message to Malta.

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it. -- John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1814

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1823

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.... Do not be frightened from this inquiry from any fear of its consequences. If it ends in the belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise...

-- Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to his nephew

The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.

-- Abraham Lincoln
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,684 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:18 am
Not sure of what you question is, McTag, but as an agnostic, I resent the fact that our government deems it proper to place the motto "In God We Trust" on our money -- and the phrase "...one nation under God..." in the pledge of allegiance to our flag.

I do not in any way "trust" any of the gods currently being worshiped -- and I do not consider our country to be one "under" any of the gods currently being worshipped.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:20 am
Right... didn't we just blow away a theocracy in Afghanistan recently. And there seem to be concerns that we may be setting up an eventual theocarcy in Iraq...

Oh, sorry... wrong god.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
Thank Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury Solomon Chase for "In God We Trust" and right wing McCarthite fanatics for "One Nation under God". Religion gets unto this nations public life only during periods of extreme duress.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:46 am
The "Founding Fathers" were mostly theists, but not the practitioners of organized religion--Washington, who was very active in the Truro vestry near his home, was nonetheless publicly one of the staunchest opponents of the introduction of dogma into the polity. This likely results from the "recent" events of the two English civil wars in the mid-1600's, and the terrible strife which arose in the colonies during the "Great Awakening" in the first half of the 18th century. Congregationalists, Presbyterians and Baptists all split into two opposing sects; the rift between the "Old Lights" and the "New Lights" among the Congregationalists was so strong that it was poisoning politics in Connecticutt more than a generation later at the time of the "Stamp Act Crisis." By the time the revolution had been won, almost all public men of a decent will and a good understanding were squarely in favor of the separation of church and state, and as we now understand that. Modern conservatives like to pretend that this is not true; they are either ignorant of or choose to pretend there was no force in the historical antecedants of the separation imposed in the First Amendment, and the steadfast opposition to sectarian influence on the part of the early leaders of our nation.

By the time Salmon Chase was Secretary of the Treasury, the old insidious influence of sectarian prejudice was already creeping in. Thomas Nast, celebrated in our history as the political cartoonist whose work exposed the abuses of Tamany Hall (as though those could not be seen without his aid) was virulently anti-catholic, and the most of his political cartoons deal with that subject. He opposed the orphanages supported by Tamany Hall by suggesting that Catholics were going to "pollute" the good Protestant youth of America with their anti-christian Papist doctrines. In one cartoon, "alligators" which are really Catholic bishops, their mitres transformed into the snapping jaws of reptiles, threaten the innocent youth cowering on the shore. Certainly Tamany Hall was corrupt--making it no different the political machines of all our cities at that time. That the Catholics provided orphanages at a time when Protestant denominations did not, nor did the State of New York, speaks better for them than do the hateful slanders of a bigot like Nast. Sadly, the history of our nation strongly suggests that sectarian influences will always threaten the plurality of our nation's political life--which has always been our strength.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
I think "one nation under God" was in the Gettysburg Address.

My question, apart from "what do you think" is in the apparent determination of the founding fathers to disassociate the country from organised religion of any kind, and the current zeal of many to do just the opposite.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:50 am
try explaining that to Bush/Ashcroft el al
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:22 pm
That part about "one nation under god' in the Gettysburg address is not a certainty. I found this at the Library of Congress:

The Library of Congress wrote:
Of the five known manuscript copies of the Gettysburg Address, the Library of Congress has two. President Lincoln gave one of these to each of his two private secretaries, John Nicolay and John Hay. The copy on exhibit, which belonged to Nicolay, is often called the "first draft" because it is believed to be the earliest copy that exists.

Considerable scholarly debate continues about whether the Nicolay copy is the "reading" copy. In 1894 Nicolay wrote that Lincoln had brought with him the first part of the speech, written in ink on Executive Mansion stationery, and that he had written the second page in pencil on lined paper before the dedication on November 19, 1863. Matching folds are still evident on the two pages shown here, suggesting it could be the copy that eyewitnesses say Lincoln took from his coat pocket and read at the ceremony.

However, one of the arguments supporting the contrary theory that the delivery text has been lost is that some of the words and phrases of the Nicolay copy do not match contemporaneous accounts. The words "under God," for example, are missing from the phrase "that this nation [under God] shall have a new birth of freedom...." In order for the Nicolay draft to have been the reading copy, Lincoln uncharacteristically would have had to depart from his written text in several instances. This copy of the Gettysburg Address remained in John Nicolay's possession until his death in 1901, when it passed to his friend and colleague John Hay.

The "second draft," probably made by Lincoln shortly after his return to Washington from Gettysburg, was given to John Hay, whose descendants donated both it and the Nicolay copy to the Library of Congress in 1916. There are numerous variations in words and punctuation between these two drafts. Because these variations provide clues into Lincoln's thinking and because these two drafts are the most closely tied to November 19, they continue to be consulted by scholars of the period.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:25 pm
Religion has been the partner of politicians for so long that if anyone's looking for a reason to discredit it, they don't have to look far.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
I'm wondering if anyone believes Washington, Adams and Jefferson were wrong, and Ashcroft and Bush are right.

Would the Founding Fathers approve of the current philosopies and direction of this administration, their successors?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 01:51 pm
So, is it a good idea to have separation of Church and State, or not?
We seem to be moving away from that idea. Should this be a concern?

I know it worries me when somebody tells me he knows what God wants him to do. Pretty soon he'll tell me, he knows what God wants me to do. I find this notion disquieting. Should these people be in charge of more than the Sunday morning collection?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 01:59 pm
McTag- I think that separation of church and state was one of the precepts that made our country great. As soon as a government attempts to superimpose the morality or precepts of a particular religion, freedom flies out the window.

I cannot think of a theocracy on this Earth where the people are free. A theocracy mandates that people adhere to the dictates of a particular religion. Once people are obliged to follow a particular religion, options are constricted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:53 pm
Quick sidenote on Thomas Nash -- he also popularized the jolly fat dude in red that we think of as Santa, and while I was finding a cite for that, found out he was behind the Democratic donkey and Republican elephant, too:

http://newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/400-499/nb475.htm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
On earth peace, goodwill towards men, Rosie the Riveter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
McTag wrote:
Would the Founding Fathers approve of the current philosopies and direction of this administration, their successors?

I'd doubt the Founding Fathers would approve of much of anything that has happened at the Federal level since the Civil War.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:57 pm
Washington would likely be appalled at the development of political parties.

Jefferson would decry the complacency of youth.

Adams would denounce the prostitution of legality.

John Dickenson would condemn the apathy and lack of participation of the "ordinary man," the "small holder."

Roger Sherman would be disgusted by the venality and criminality of the "mercantile" class.

Robert Morris would denounce the fiscal policies of the government and the accounting practices of corporations.

And . . .

John Rutledge and Charles Cotesworth Pinckney would be livid that a descendant of slaves were Secretary of State.

Feet of clay . . .
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:24 am
Lovely round-up, Set. Thanks!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:21 pm
Setanta, I take my hat off to you, Sir.

Power to your pen.

McT
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:09 am
this is funny
god is on our money, now money is our god. what?
0 Replies