My Computer's Acting WEIRD

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 03:13 pm
Yep, all backed up. Just, I use the computer rather often (no thanks to you lot), and would be sad if I didn't have access. That's of greater concern than loss of specific documents et al.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 11:05 pm
Soz, make sure you have a Windows 98 startup disk (let me know if you're not sure how to make one). If/when you have big problems, you could use it to format your hard drive & access your Windows installation CD.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 04:19 am
One suggestion for what to do if the computer does crash and you need to reformat/reinstall Windows...

If you can afford it, upgrade your operating system to Windows XP Professional rather then reinstalling Win98 again.

Win98 is notorious for its instability. I did battle with it for several years, having had to restore everything from the "blue screen of death" more times then I care to mention. I rarely upgrade to the current marketed version of Windows because of the poor track record with bugs and "features." The last time I got a visit from the blue screen monster, I went out and bought WinXP. Should of done it a year ago. WinXP runs circles around Win98 while blindfolded. You won't regret the investment and will appreciate the increased reliability and ease of use.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:10 am
I've heard that from other people re: WinXP, too. I think Craven and Monger suggested it when I complained about Internet slowness, even though I have DSL. We are really financially strapped right now and can't afford to upgrade from functional-if-extremely-irritating. But that's definitely on my radar, and hope we can afford it sometime soonish.

Hey! It's much more affordable than I realized:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MOTE/qid=1057507443/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0890583-2772024?v=glance&s=software

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Monger, your advice on making a Windows 98 startup disk would be most appreciated, but at your leisure.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
In Win98, go to the Control Panel & click the Add/Remove Programs icon, then click the Startup Disk tab near the top.

Using a startup disk will require that you use a few DOS commands. However, if you call up Gateway or manage to get your hands on a computer that'll let you access this site, I'm sure someone can help walk you through formatting your computer & starting the Win98 installation CD from that floppy.

Another simple tip: HAve you run scandisk recently? Weird computer lockups can often be solved by running a thorough scan.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:25 am
Thanks, Monger.

Yep, ran scandisk. No problems.
0 Replies

AlexH

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
Go Back
Doesn't installing Go Back remove, or 'de-activate' System Restore?

Just curious.

-a.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:06 pm
I don't think 98 has system restore.
0 Replies

AlexH

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
Restore
My bad.

I though someone earlier said that it was ME.

Sorry ...
Sad
-a.
0 Replies