Nowhere In Africa

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 07:50 am
I just saw this film today & really enjoyed it.
Has anyone else seen it?
What did you think?

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/03/032203.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:09 am
msolga- I saw it this week, and I loved it. What amazed me was when I left the theatre, I was surprised at the time. The film moved along so well, that I had lost sense of the time, and did not realize what a long movie it was.

I particularly liked the part of the young daughter, who apparently was able to adjust to the new surroundings much better than her elders.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
Thanks for starting a thread on one of the best films of the year. It should join the ranks of "Central Station" as one of the best studies of human relationships ever committed to film.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:41 am
Phoenix

Yes, it certainly was a lengthy film. And because depicted a series of episodes in the life of the family involved, I kept expecting it to end, a number of times.
And yes, daughter was delightful. I loved her candidness & openness to everything that came her way. She was very wise.
Another aspect that I liked: the way that the positions of the parents changed, beginning with the wife's difficult adjustment to the loss of her privileged life in Germany & rejection of her new situation in Kenya. Her attitudes toward the black Kenyans was quite condescending at first, then slowly her respect grew.
The husband seemed far more comfortable with life in Kenya to begin with, just relieved & happy to have escaped from Germany, so it was a surprise when he was the one who wanted to return to Germany at the conclusion of the war. By then his wife had adapted to her new life & found the idea to returning to the old almost impossible. But then she changed again, as the result of the reconciliation of their relationship ... Something that would not have been possible had they not experienced their estrangement & troubled exile in Kenya.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 09:11 am
msolga- I think that the intertwining of the various relationships, with the changes that kept developing, was one of the most important aspects of the film. It gave the film a very REAL feeling.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 09:25 am
Phoenix

Yes, agreed.
A moment in the film that really touched me: husband, wife & daughter in the middle, awake together on the bed, holding each other ... His words, which went something like:"Everything I care about is here, on this bed."
0 Replies