Empathy, Compassion, and "Walking in Another's Shoes" on A2K

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
Marty - You, IMO, have successfully intigrated here. I wouldn't consider you new. Your first post was honest, and you listened to the responses you recieved without feeling (or letting on that you did) defensive. I think newbies have to have some self-esteem / confidence when they arrive and that is especially true when posting to Relationships & Marriage. I think that's why when we see responses that are defensive, self-centered, or whatever, someone is quick to ask the age of the newbie in order to understand their reactions to the advice being given.

I greatly dislike seeing new members treated disrespectfully. But often, over time I see that the initial responses were spot on and that other members were picking up on something I didn't get at first. (I'm really bad about figuring out a new person is really an old person under a new name. Others know right away.)
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
yes, Marty, it's never easy. It takes time to get to know people and for them to get to know us.... It's like that in real life too.

I've been on the outskirts (or possibly in the middle, depends on your view and how quickly I can distance myself...) of some of the drama that's been playing out here. It hasn't been pleasant for me. I have questioned why I continue to post even before the "incident". All I can say is there are all types to be found here. And I continue because of the people I'm beginning to like and respect.

It just takes time....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:49 pm
Lash wrote:

Marty succeeds in making it about her.

It took three posts, though. I'm going to have to give her a 7.6 on that attempt.

Where'd that come from, Lash? Kinda sounded snotty, and I hope you didn't mean it that way.

Take another toke and chill. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 04:57 pm
squinney wrote:
Lash wrote:

It took three posts, though. I'm going to have to give her a 7.6 on that attempt.

Where'd that come from, Lash? Kinda sounded snotty, and I hope you didn't mean it that way.

Your sense of humor seems to be failing.

Perhaps you need a toke.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Okay, kicky, how much did you pay for the "value meal?"

$6.71.

That, and probably about an hour of my life that I'll have to spend on the bowl when it kicks in and starts it's long and painful journey through my colon and back out into the world.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:04 pm
Ladies--

I'm paid to report all that sort of thing because once upon a time I was a NASCAR driver.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:05 pm
Lash wrote:
squinney wrote:
Lash wrote:

Your sense of humor seems to be failing.

Perhaps you need a toke.

I'LL take that!

{Puff...puff...drool...puff...puff...}

Here ya go! {Hands spit-soaked joint back to Lash} Thanks!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:05 pm
A NASCAR driver!!

Now, that's frightening.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:07 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:

Did I hear my name. Gee I find most of you annoying. You have been around here so long get off your high horse and look at your own actions
What a f*cking joke most of you are. You treat new people like ****.
I will not go away because of bullys like you. Oh, but this is not about me is it? Setanta you like your damn dog reminds me of caribou more than anything I have seen. I think the term is "cyber-bullies" is what I was told. Oh but it is not about me until you made it.

What bullying are you talking about? I didn't see anyone bully you, tth. Could you quote the bully remarks?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:07 pm
Quote:
A NASCAR driver!!

Yep. And I got dizzy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:08 pm
Mame wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:

Did I hear my name. Gee I find most of you annoying. You have been around here so long get off your high horse and look at your own actions
What a f*cking joke most of you are. You treat new people like ****.
I will not go away because of bullys like you. Oh, but this is not about me is it? Setanta you like your damn dog reminds me of caribou more than anything I have seen. I think the term is "cyber-bullies" is what I was told. Oh but it is not about me until you made it.

What bullying are you talking about? I didn't see anyone bully you, tth. Could you quote the bully remarks?

mame, I think you're wasting your breath. TTH has disappeared. She had a meltdown and went bye-bye.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:09 pm
THAT I would believe, Noddy! You'd certainly learn to hold your dominion among those boys. (Though I'd let Gordon hold anything he wanted.) Very Happy

Lash - Okay, sorry, pass it to me.

Huh? Gone?

Well, shoot! Make another one then!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:11 pm
Or, Kicky. I KNOW he's got some.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:14 pm
Well, if my breath's already wasted, let's roll another joint. Squinney, you wanted a toke... Here ya go.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:21 pm
Just keep in mind that the last time (years ago) I kinda zoned for about 45 minutes. When I "returned" Bear was asking me what I was thinking.

"I was just thinking about the life of a brick. One day it's free, sometimes moved so it gets a new view, and then the next thing ya know, totally out of it's control... Stuck! For life. Just stuck there with the weight of a house on it. Seems so boring. Poor brick...."

This was the point where Bear and my friend broke int uncontrollable laughter and swore they'd never share again.

You've all been warned.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:29 pm
wow, you should see the neat swirly things goin on in my whip cream. Im gonna go take a nap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
Bricks, I'll never look at them the same way again.

Tangent within a tangent within..
Cocoa link
Can't find a link for the bit about non-alkali processing.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
I like those kind of philosophical moments, squinney Smile I remember solving all the world's problems one time and I actually wrote them down so I'd remember them. When I 'came down', none of it made sense...goes to show you should only talk to people who are in the same state!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:35 pm
I get deeply enhanced meaning from films and commercials.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:35 pm
farmerman wrote:
wow, you should see the neat swirly things goin on in my whip cream. Im gonna go take a nap.

You missed it, farmerman. Shewolf gave us a recipe for chocolate soup!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:50:10