Your Bests in Film for 2006

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:02 pm
I didn't want to use the word Oscar in the headline and I wanted people to feel free to discuss their favorite performances, scripts, directing, photography, etc.

What pleased you this year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 18
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:05 pm
I just saw Volver last night and loved it. While Raimunda wasn't a very nice or patient person, when the pivotal event of her life was revealed, it was easy to understand why.

I loved the way her neighbors in Madrid (all women) were so eager to assume responsibility and contribute to the restaurant and their own financial well-being. I loved the complexity of the interlocking relationships of the women in Raimunda's village.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:08 pm
I was ready to hand the Oscar to Helen Mirren as Liz II in The Queen until I saw Dame Judi being so evil in Notes on a Scandal, but, then I thought that Dame Judi and Kate Winslet should have shared the Best Actress Oscar for Iris: there is at least a 6 inch difference in their heights and Kate is so brunette while Judi was always more to the fair end of the spectrum and their voices are so distinct and yet they were able to convince me (and others) that they were both Iris Murdoch.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:09 pm
So, if we consider best portrayals of evil, I would tie Dame Judi in Notes on a Scandal with Jack Nicholson in The Departed.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:11 pm
And while I did enjoy Peter O'Toole in the lightly touched with autobiography (Gee, he was as gorgeous as the younger version of the character he played), I did find his character more than a little touched by the creepy.

Would have preferred to see more development of the relationship between the O'Toole character and the character of his estranged played by Vanessa Redgrave.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:05 pm
My Favorite is Little Miss Sunshine
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:17 pm
I wanted to see that when it was in theatres but was too poor as it was summer film and my income goes down in the summer. Received a DVD player as a present and need to install it. It looked like a good film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:20 pm
LMS is my favorite of the year and it could pull off a "Driving Miss Daisy" and win the Oscar, with "Dreamgirls" out of the running and every other film being excellent but perhaps splitting the vote.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:01 pm
I'm rooting for Little Miss Sunshine too.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:37 pm
We just rented "Running with Scissors."

An odd film as odd film's go but I rather enjoyed it. At least as much if not more than LMS. I found Jill Clayburgh's performance as Agnes to be fascinating. Annette Benning was nominated for a Golden Globe for this film but I found her performance to be pretty run of the mill.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:07 pm
happytaffy wrote:
My Favorite is Little Miss Sunshine

I liked it very much, too!

But the "best" film of 2006? I'm not sure.
Remind me again, someone, of the contenders.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:41 am
The National Board of Film Critics picked my alternate choice for the best film, "Pan's Labyrinth."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 05:52 am
Lightwizard! Surprised

Where on earth have you been?

You've been seriously neglecting your A2K duties! :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:53 am
Really busy with a new audio/video showroom in Laguna Beach. Don't ask me how that happened! Very Happy
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:59 am
I, too, loved Little Miss Sunshine.

My friend is preggers with a girl, she's naming her Olive.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 11:54 am
Movies of 2006

There were 354 movies in 2006!

I saw Lady in the Water last night. I liked it, but still not as much as LMS.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 01:07 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:04 pm
Wow!!! 354 movies in 2006. I must have seen 7, maybe 8.

LW -- Thanks for reminding us of the Razzies, which I had forgotten.

Can't say that I'm much of an Annette Benning fan.

I think the 2006 movies I saw were Last King of Scotland, The Queen, Borat, Notes on a Scandal, The History Boys, Venus, Volver, Al Gore's movie. There must be more.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:12 pm
Thanks to Caribou's link, I can add

Da Vinci Code, fast Food Nation, The Departed, the OH in Ohio, Devil Wears Prada, Nanny McPhee and A Prairie Home Companion -- which, with the 8 listed in my last post -- brings the total to 15. Woo Woo! That's more than one a month! Life is good!
0 Replies