Self-Esteem: Reactive or Proactive?

coberst

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 05:24 am
Self-Esteem: Reactive or Proactive?

If instinct is no longer the primary force driving the human species, i.e. this animal that is more than just animal, what is the motivating factor driving the life of wo/man?

The "clinical theories of Adler, as well as Sullivan, Rank, Fromm, Horney, and a growing number of young and undogmatic Freudians" identify "that the basic law of human life is the urge to self-esteem".

As the infant matures s/he becomes the passive captor of a need to be accepted, first, by the mother, and then society. The maturing child has shaped herself into the very person who can take for granted that he meets or exceeds what is demanded; s/he gains self-esteem and a growing sense of belonging, with confidence in a developing sense of self-righteousness as a growing natural systematic continuation of the early ego efforts to handle anxiety.

Maturation becomes an extension of the infant's ego struggle against anxiety. Self-esteem becomes the core of human adaptation; this human self-adaptation replaces the animal's biological instinct as the means for adaptation to a changing world. The maturing child discovers that s/he cannot earn parental and social approval, i.e. self-esteem, by continuing to express himself with his body. S/he discovers that he must conduct himself in strict accordance to symbolic codes in order to find approval.

The maturing child's growing sense of self-worth has become artificialized; self-worth is now dependent upon "linguistic contrivances". "He has become the only animal in nature who vitally depends on a symbolic constitution of his worth." The remainder of this creature's life is animated by the "artificial symbolism of self-worth".

Our character has become social as it becomes more and more a symbolic one. The survival of the Homo sapiens species is no longer a result of natural selection but is a result of artificial selection; it is dependent upon the nature of the symbolic codes we select to live by.

How can we become proactive; rather than reactive as we have been schooled? I think we can do so when we have taught our self to recognize the difference. What do you think?

Ideas and quotes from "The Birth and Death of Meaning? by Ernest Becker
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 06:15 am
coberst wrote:
The human character has become a symbolic one as it becomes more and more a social creature. The survival of the Homo sapiens species is no longer a result of natural selection but is a result of artificial selection; it is dependent upon the nature of the symbolic codes we SELECT to live by.

Hmmm... We may select them, we may even create them. But we are of nature, thus everything we do are acts of nature. There really is no such thing as artificial. We've assumed a more central role in this natural selection, that's all.

Artificial generally means "man made". The word reveals a mindset in the one who uses it, a way of thinking in which humans are somehow above nature. We are not. We are, have always been, and always will be, part of nature.

Thus, the fabled birth of AI that we're woring towards isn't what we see it as. Any intelligence we create would be as natural as our own intelligence. Just because it comes to be by our actions doesn't mean it isn't evolution.

Quote:
Our character has become social as it becomes more and more a symbolic one.

That humans are social creatures is probably one of the most important factors in our survival up to this day. This has been a central trait of our species since before we climbed out our the trees and started walking upright.
And our representation of the world, the world as we percieve it, has always been symbolic.

Quote:
How can we become proactive; rather than reactive as we have been schooled? I think we can do so when we have taught our self to recognize the difference. What do you think?

I think that we have not been schooled to be reactive. Nor do I think that a soley proactive approach (if such a thing is possible) would be very beneficial.
0 Replies