WOOD FRAME CHIMNEYS

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:02 am
Redgum firewood is the best in the world.

Shouldn't there be some building code that says wood structure has to be a certain distance away from the flue jacket?

oh wait! thats what you are asking. ok i'm up with youse blokes now.

Does ignition temp of variouse kinds of woods or possibly finishes/treatments have any bearing. Perhaps the wood currently being used has a lower ignition point than your hardwood (giggle).

I'm asking your question on the woodwork site FM. have a look and see if you get an answer.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=465734#post465734
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:02 am
Timber
Quote:
satellite TV

GTF ouuta here, this is no ****?
You have gotta take a pic of this residence and post it . That is cool.
Maybe were lucky and maybe not, but for us, ice fishing is a hit or miss operation. We now have minimally skateable ice on the big lake (Octoraro) and its fishable with a porta tent. I havent been out at all this year because its been too warm until our freeze that came in mid January.

Does the ice fishing house have like a styrofoam bottom so that you dont melt yourself in to place? or is that not a problem?

We used to do perch fishing but they were so sluggish that theyd be a bitch to entice to a worm. But they made the greatest beer battered crispy fish
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:09 am
Timber's list of must haves for an ice fishin house
Quote:
and satellite TV

GTF outta here. You hang a dish out? Are you guys seeking to annex West Virginia? That would be so cool to hang a sat dish on the side ( one of those Direct TV kind, not the W Va "State flower size") put out a rural mailbox and hang a "beware of the dog sign" Wait a minute! Then you string some lights and take a picture, BINGO-your 2007 Christmas Card.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:25 am
DADPAD- We seem to use only pine or fir for framing. Its available and farm raised. My house is so old that its chestnut framed and the summer beams in the rooms with open bems are really thick. So we build our new houses out of toothpick wood then we cover with a plywood that is a glue-up made of shredded pine chunks and compressed. And then use a styrofoam insulation block. So if our new houses catch fire, we all go up like Ghandi.

PS is red gum native to Australia? Ive never tried it to burn, course Im not sure Id recognize it . We have sweet gum sour gum, black gum and tupelo. Im not sure we have red gum around this here continent.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:25 am
farmerman wrote:
Does the ice fishing house have like a styrofoam bottom so that you dont melt yourself in to place? or is that not a problem?

Its insulated with that pink hard foam stuff - sorta funky, but it works. The Franklin stove is a little one, BTW - I think the firebox can't be much more than a foot square and mebbe a foot and a half deep. It sits in one corner on a plinth of 2X10 topped with a sheet of 3/8-inck fireback, and the corner is sheathed with the same stuff, stood out about a half inch from the walls. The stack is regular commercial double-wall stovepipe, goes straight up out the roof through the center of a 3-foot square sheet-metal collar (not exactly "code", but c'mon, its an ice shack Laughing ). Works damned good.

About the only time we really bring the satellite rig (DirecTV) is when there's a sporting event we wanna see while we're fishin - a football game or a NASCAR race, something like that. The generator's not real noisy, its a Honda, but it only runs a couple hours on a full tank - gotta do something about that.

I should be going out to it later this week - I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics. Warning ya right up front - its functional, not classy Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 03:04 am
timberlandko wrote:
About the only time we really bring the satellite rig (DirecTV) is when there's a sporting event we wanna see while we're fishin - a football game or a NASCAR race, something like that. The generator's not real noisy, its a Honda, but it only runs a couple hours on a full tank - gotta do something about that.
You livin in a cave up there Timber? Get yourself a couple of Die Hard's and an inverter (like you probably don't have those laying around, knowing you). You'll have enough power to rock and run the Christmas lights!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 04:36 am
Timber:
Just for a second or two I was gonna ask why didnt you have a refrigerator for your fishin shack.

Fm: Redgum is an oz native, hard and heavy as hell, used for making railway sleepers and bridge timbers.

We got the same problem with building materials. pine pine plantation pine, radiata pine (originally monterey pine) we call it crapita, and plywood/chipboard.

There is quite a bit of native hardwood being cut but the native forests cant keep up with the demand.
0 Replies